Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I have a racist dog
Quote | Reply
I had a contractor over at my house today. I was not home, but he had a code to get in. When he went into the house, one of our 18 lb terrier mix unleashed holy hell on him. He tried to shoo her away, but she kept coming at him. He decided that since he was going to be working under the sink with his privates on display and possible consumption by my mutt, he would come back some other time when we are home.

Now, what makes this a racist story, is that we've had a parade of pasty white contractors, friends, and others through the house in the past months (when we were also not home), and our dog did not utter single peep. The contractor today was more on the brown side of the color wheel.

She seems to have a inherent dislike for brown people. How does a dog grow up to hate so much?
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago we adopted (absconded) a dog off the streets in Mexico. He kept following my kids around every time we went to this little town over the course of a few months. We finally just put a leash on him and when we returned to the states we brought him. Any hispanic male who was dressed in jeans / t-shirt he growled and snarled at. Never growled at anyone else ever.

In your case, it may have nothing to do with race and instead just a bad vibe about that one person.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it might be more than that. She goes nuts when a black or brown UPS driver comes to the door. A white guy, not a sound. I had Hispanic gardeners for 18 years at my old house. Every week she would go flying out into the backyard when they would come to mow. They got used to fending her off with the weed wacker. White guy came to stain our deck, she greeted him with a tail wag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - your dog is racist. Like my old dog. He was treated very badly on the streets in Mexico by Mexican males so it sorta made sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This could be a Seinfeld episode. I can see you trying to get a person of color to give your dog treats but no one will do it. You end up doing it yourself in blackface make up, somehow getting locked out of your house with your racist dog chasing you down the street.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then, he's halfway to the presidency isn't he?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every once in a while, my dog drops the n-word and then complains about the PC police. He's a smart dog, but unfortunately, just had his admission to Harvard rescinded.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Jun 17, 19 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of sending her to border to help out with the crisis.

Seriously though, we do not have a history on her other than she was found a couple hours south of Fresno. We are pretty sure she never had a home before we got her. We think she was 1-2 years old. That's a long time to be on a streets as a pup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The assistant dean in the department where my wife works at the local University typically brings his dachshund to work. It doesn't care for people apparently, but usually just ignores them, unless they're dark-skinned then it goes ape shit barking at them. She's sure it's only a matter of time before someone complains, especially since he usually doesn't really do anything about it and plenty of people are afraid of dogs.

He had the same dog outside going to the bathroom a year or two ago, off-leash, and it ran down and killed a squirrel right in front of a campus tour group :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the tropics and we had a dog that would go nuts barking at anyone black who showed up at our property. White people - not a peep. She was a rescue dog so who knows what happened to her before we got her. My present dog doesn't discriminate and will bark at allcomers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I think it might be more than that. She goes nuts when a black or brown UPS driver comes to the door. A white guy, not a sound. I had Hispanic gardeners for 18 years at my old house. Every week she would go flying out into the backyard when they would come to mow. They got used to fending her off with the weed wacker. White guy came to stain our deck, she greeted him with a tail wag.

We had a friend w/ a dog once that had a thing for the UPS kit; I remember that was one of the first lines in the briefing checklist for whenever they had a new sitter over to watch the dog ~ any UPS deliveries, watch the fuck out cuz he went nuts. I think it was just the uniform, though ~ they never specified that it made any difference whether it was a white guy or other wearing it (but we're in a super-white area, though, so perhaps the brown-in-brown was just never an issue due to extreme rarity).
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She flips out at USPS, Fed-Ex, or UPS if the wearer is darker than Steph Curry. Since dogs see the world in yellow, blue, and grey, I'm not what the trigger is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I had a contractor over at my house today. I was not home, but he had a code to get in. When he went into the house, one of our 18 lb terrier mix unleashed holy hell on him. He tried to shoo her away, but she kept coming at him. He decided that since he was going to be working under the sink with his privates on display and possible consumption by my mutt, he would come back some other time when we are home.

Now, what makes this a racist story, is that we've had a parade of pasty white contractors, friends, and others through the house in the past months (when we were also not home), and our dog did not utter single peep. The contractor today was more on the brown side of the color wheel.

She seems to have a inherent dislike for brown people. How does a dog grow up to hate so much?

Racism and hate are taught. Apparently you must be a flaming racist bigot.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:

You shouldn't leave the TV on with Fox News blaring away.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
We had a friend w/ a dog once that had a thing for the UPS kit; I remember that was one of the first lines in the briefing checklist for whenever they had a new sitter over to watch the dog ~ any UPS deliveries, watch the fuck out cuz he went nuts. I think it was just the uniform, though ~ they never specified that it made any difference whether it was a white guy or other wearing it (but we're in a super-white area, though, so perhaps the brown-in-brown was just never an issue due to extreme rarity).

I used to have a couple of dogs that started going nuts every time the UPS guy drove by - they'd go flying up the driveway and down the road with me yelling ineffectually "Hey! Get back here!". I couldn't figure out why, in their middle years, they'd suddenly developed this keen interest in the UPS truck. Not FedEx, not USPS, not the fuel truck - just the big brown parcel truck.

Then one day I was home when UPS made a delivery, and the dogs were out. This dude leaped out of the truck with a big grin and a handful of biscuits and started flipping them rapid-fire, like he was dealing five-card stud. The dogs were diving every which way scarfing up biscuits. They even climbed up in the back of the truck with him while he was fetching my parcel. The rain of biscuits continued until he climbed back in the truck, waved goodbye with a big grin, and roared off up the driveway.

With the dogs in hot pursuit, and me yelling ineffectually "Hey, get back here!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My loving sweet little girl is a horrible racist too. We do a week long family camping trip every year. The dogs love going on 18 walks a day. The girl loves the attention. After being fine for several days with everyone we are out walking. A nice, polite, calm as can be black boy comes over, asks to pet her, and she acts like she has to kill him. It was really not very nice.

But dogs work off of spotting differences in order to know when something is out of place and dangerous. Stereotyping works really well for them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:

It's how they are raised. Time for some soul searching :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:

If you have any fear or try to avoid a dog, they will sense this. It's possible that people that didn't grow up around dogs or have a love of dogs will try not to interact with a dog other than avoidance. They will be hesitant around dogs which a dog will react to. Whereas if you approach a dog like he's your best friend, chances are the dog will love you. But if you try to fake it, watch out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I prefer cats. They don't discriminate. They hold everyone in equal contempt.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless it's mealtime. Then they fawn like you're the best thing ever.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“unless it's mealtime. Then they fawn like you're the best thing ever”

Mine have never fawned, they command. Food now !

Edit to add: mine will bang against the pantry door until his half full bowl of food is filled to the brim.
Last edited by: Dan Os Fan: Jun 18, 19 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: I have a racist dog [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
My loving sweet little girl is a horrible racist too. We do a week long family camping trip every year. The dogs love going on 18 walks a day. The girl loves the attention. After being fine for several days with everyone we are out walking. A nice, polite, calm as can be black boy comes over, asks to pet her, and she acts like she has to kill him. It was really not very nice.

But dogs work off of spotting differences in order to know when something is out of place and dangerous. Stereotyping works really well for them.

My take is this is what is going on in a lot of instances.

I tend to think that dogs that are owned by a black family in a black neighborhood will go nuts over a white dude that rolls up to their house.

I have also run into dogs that have issues with gender. Like they dislike men or vice versa.

Quote Reply