Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how long do saddles last?
Quote | Reply
I know can be some compression of foam in a saddle. how long do saddles last and without noticeable wear and tear do you just use a saddle until it starts not feeling great?
Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dash puts 7 years on theirs. It's in the warranty narrative somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. yep. I just went and look and 7 years. I was guessing 5-ish years. I have a cobb jof 55 that I've had about 5 years. I've had a couple of comfort issues lately so I was thinking maybe my saddle was starting to wear a bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally tear up the nose of a saddle before the cushioning wears out. It takes about 3 years to tear up a Fizik Arione Classic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always manage to wreck mine before they actually wear out... 10/10 would not recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question...

I have had mine on my Trek that it came with since 2009 and thousands of miles.

Probably needs a refresher, but have never got around to it and still seems to do ok.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a original Selle Italia Flite saddle from the 90s it didn't have much in the way of padding to wear out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replace my saddle when I replace my chain rings.

Oops, I've never replaced a chain ring so...

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I replace my saddle when I replace my chain rings.

Oops, I've never replaced a chain ring so...

Yeah, I'm pretty much this also.

My wife's old hardtail (which was my designated BTN for about 2+ decades) has a WTB saddle on it that's gotta be 20+ years old.
My '97 Pro-Flex 957 (which is mostly wall art now, but was my daily driver mtb for 15+ years) still has the original WTB saddle on it.
Klein Quantum Pro road bike has a Fizik saddle that's OEM, from '99.

Only saddle I have now that's really looking worn, is the Arione Tri on my P5, but that's because it's white, and that seems to show the wear much moreso than black saddles do.
That said, I'm still riding it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Only saddle I have now that's really looking worn, is the Arione Tri on my P5, but that's because it's white, and that seems to show the wear much moreso than black saddles do.
That said, I'm still riding it.

The loyal man knows... you don't stop riding it just because it's a little worn!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had issue with foam, usually the seam blows out first. The tear usually happens around mid to rear of the saddle vs. rivet, so probably related to crashes vs. wear & tear. EIther way. I think most saddles i have last around 5 years (ones I ride regularly).
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jun 17, 19 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The oldest saddle I'm currently using is an Avocet Touring I from 1979. My grandfather was the original owner, but he didn't use it much... its total mileage is probably somewhere around 6,000. It's heavy, but it works very well for me as a road saddle. If the cover layer fails, I'll probably re-cover it.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jun 17, 19 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there will be different answers. All I know is that in 2010 I got my Cobb JOF 55 & it still is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. I thought about replacing it due to age, but there are no real cuts or discomfort I feel during or after cycling. I'm sure you may hear a salesperson say "x number of years" for a saddle. But why? If there are no issues. Mine is going on 10 years now & if you make a good saddle, it should last. Which Cobb does.
*Disclaimer: I bought this saddle retail and am in no way affiliated with Cobb, other than I met him once.
Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you need another one (with gel center) attached to an aero-USE carbon seat post, let me know. Been wondering what I'm gonna do with it for years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Modern saddles seem to be more prone to shell distortion than foam compression. The massive cutouts and drive for low weight mean that the sides twist unevenly.
It's one of the first things I check when inspecting a bike at the beginning of a fit. Specialized Power has a big problem with this as the bridge at the nose is tiny so the halves are independent.
ISM pretty bad for it too as the prongs are unsupported.
Aside from that, most tri saddles are a lot heavier so not as easy to distort.
Obviously saddles with a lot of foam mean that foam compression or displacement become more likely, Cobb Max tends to flare more outwards over time, SMPs can get bad compression.
Every design has foibles.
Had a light plastic saddle that sagged by 13mm in the centre over time - shell distortion as there was barely any foam to compress.

And then it's going to depend on you - if you are pushing back heavily on one side you will distort your saddle sooner (and once it twists you get a nasty feedback loop that leads to you getting well out of shape).
So some riders with some saddles will be 3-6mths, other rider/saddle combos could be decades
Quote Reply
Re: how long do saddles last? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your response is interesting. I had lots of wear, unevenly so, on my ISM Typhoon (in use ~3 yrs). Have used a power saddle and power arc for about 2 yrs and 1 year, respectively, before they no longer felt good, and an SMP Evolution tester saddle for a solid 4 years before replacing it. No idea how old it was but it was the first that was replaced because it seemed time versus being replaced because I grew to hate it. (Position tweaks kill any saddles once deemed ok to me).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use saddles until they break, or are no longer comfortable.

In the last 8 years I replaced 3 Specialized Romin saddles. A crack developed in the carbon shell of 2 of them on my road bike. On the other a carbon rail snapped when I went over the bars during a CX race.

I have an ISM PN1.1 on my tri bike. After 3+ years the prongs are uneven. I'm considering trying other saddles, it doesnt feel as comfortable as it used to.
Quote Reply