Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
zed707 wrote:
j p o wrote:
We don't want to meet aliens. The amount of power they would have to be able to harness to get here would be immense.

It would go worse than ants vs. a little kid with a magnifying glass.

I agree that any aliens that were able to get here across the vastness of space are very far advanced beyond where we are or will be for a long time.

My theory, and I think it's pretty sound, is that any civilization capable of getting here wouldn't give a shit about us or our planet's resources. The stuff that we consider valuable natural resources are spread throughout the universe. We're nothing special.

I agree with this it wouldn’t be a resource issue. If they can get here they are using something well beyond what our planet has as resources and most likely a different source of energy we haven’t figured out yet.

I also find it unlikely if they made it here they would be doing it to destroy us. It’d be like us destroying Uganda. We could wipe them off the planet in 13.2 seconds but what is the point and that would take significantly less effort from us than getting here from any other planet.

I feel Star Trek probably has it closest. They could be watching from space or even potentially somewhere here but aren’t going to interfere until we get to a certain level of intelligence.

We’re already fairly close to being able to cloak, adaptive camouflage at least. Even a civilization that’s 1000 years further along probably can do this with ease. So us not being able to have any clue they are here would be very plausible.

I could not have said it better. I am sure there are worlds that are thousands of years ahead of us and many that are primordial. I do find it very interesting that we equate what happened to the native Americans et al with what the outcome would be of our first meeting with extraterrestrials. If we came across a previously unknown culture today on planet Earth there would be all kinds of safeguards to protect them. We can learn and we can do better.

Dark forest theory.

1. The primary drive of any civilization is survival. Civilizations will do basically anything to survive.

2. Civilizations always expand, although resources remain finite.

As a result of 1 and 2, any outside civilization is a potential threat, either because they are using resources you might need to expand, or because they are stronger than you and may try to come for your resources.

If two civilizations become aware of one another, each has to assume the other is a threat, until they can determine if the other civilization is willing to coexist peacefully. On Earth, we use diplomacy, talks, face to face meetings, shared communications, etc to help us determine if the other side is truly peaceful, or is trying to trick us into thinking they're peaceful while they plan to attack. This type of communication isn't possible with an alien civilization due to the likely differences in communications methods and the vast distances. Therefore, we never get past the chain of suspicion, and the only safe assumption is that the other civilization is a threat, and the only way to ensure survival is to prevent other civilizations from detecting you or to destroy any civilization you come into contact with.

The universe is a dark forest, and every civilization is a quiet hunter trying to remain undetected, but hunting for other civilizations so that they can destroy the threats before they are themselves destroyed.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been thinking about what UFOs might be if we are living in some sort of simulation, like many leading minds have suggested. They could be some kind of observers, or even the creators of the simulation game itself checking in from time to time on their program. If the crafts don't seem to follow the laws of physics, it could be that they aren't part of the program at all or they have the power and control to manipulate it as they wish.
Or, they could be part of the Earth. Perhaps millions of years ago an intelligent species emerged that somehow destroyed all traces of itself and it now hides deep under the oceans in Antarctica with its advanced technology.
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be great. I saw a documentary about it one time. I think it was called "Independence Day" or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, my 12-year old son says "Dad, NASA has figured out why aliens don't visit this planet". Now, 1. I love a good conspiracy theory and 2. I have witnessed a UFO (that's another story), so I decide to humor him with "Why?". "One star rating" is his response. Got to love the internet and Facebook jokes!
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
j p o wrote:

The best thing for us would be if they think we are so trivial as to not merit attention. Or at least find us amusing to laugh at.

That's the whole premise of the Hitchhiker's Guide, which is what makes it so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOHO3GwEPg

How do I embed a video?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
trail wrote:
j p o wrote:

The best thing for us would be if they think we are so trivial as to not merit attention. Or at least find us amusing to laugh at.

That's the whole premise of the Hitchhiker's Guide, which is what makes it so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOHO3GwEPg

How do I embed a video?

Under the video, click "Share" and then copy the link that pops up. Paste THAT link:

Quote Reply
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
My theory, and I think it's pretty sound, is that any civilization capable of getting here wouldn't give a shit about us or our planet's resources. The stuff that we consider valuable natural resources are spread throughout the universe. We're nothing special.
Maybe we're really tasty? Think of all the effort we put into truffles, caviar, saffron, shit like that. We could be that for the Vorlons.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd is going on with UFO research [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Maybe we're really tasty? Think of all the effort we put into truffles, caviar, saffron, shit like that. We could be that for the Vorlons.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next