Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do?
Quote | Reply
Seeking some sage advice!!!

I have a double Century coming up next weekend and weather app is predicting thunderstorms most of this week and all weekend so I am a bit concerned about my chain as I just waxed it for the first time last week. Any recomendations on a drip wax that works well with paraffin dipped? Is there a way to strip the wax and go back to normal lube? Or just order another chain real quickly and swap it out before the weekend?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grab some squirt. It can go on a waxed chain but you should apply it and let it sit for 5 minutes before wiping off excess.

If it will definitely rain, I'd apply it before the ride. If it is maybe/maybe not, perhaps get a small bottle and leave it in your pocket. Take a break and apply it if needed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gregman1 wrote:
I have a double Century coming up next weekend and weather app is predicting thunderstorms most of this week and all weekend so I am a bit concerned about my chain as I just waxed it for the first time last week.

Wax it again before the ride and don't worry...

Take a little bottle of Squirt along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previously mentioned, squirt. But also make sure you dry your bike ASAP. I did 2 wet races last year and I only shook off the excess, and still had mild rust. I should have brought a rad to get it all off.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

If it will definitely rain, I'd apply it before the ride. If it is maybe/maybe not, perhaps get a small bottle and leave it in your pocket. Take a break and apply it if needed?

Can someone explain the logic to me of being so obsessed as to do the full chain waxing 'thing', and then still consider stopping mid ride to add lube? I'm honestly trying to process the thoughts here. How is 'every second counts' obsession with waxing offset against stop, lose group / lose tempo to add lube.

I use squirt as my 365 'lube'. Rain and shine. Lasts 3-400 km between re-lubes in the dry, less in the wet. But even after a wet ride, and this will have been absolute ocean edge coastal ride, then I've never seen any rust on my Shimano Ultegra level chains.

This isn't a criticism, it's a genuine query as to what other people are doing to cause the problems that I've never had (in part, so I can avoid changing anything to get them).
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only speaking for myself...
I wax because it is better than squirt. I have squirt handy, just in case the chain sounds super dry. It's a last resort or to hold me over till I can wax again.

The OP is already riding far enough on that newly waxed chain that it will need a rewax soon after this 200mile ride. If it's rainy, definitely so. You say yourself that squirt also lasts as little as 300km, so even then, in the rain, you would be thinking about a reapplication during a double century.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I say I reapply after that. In no (road) rides I have ever done in any conditions have I reapplied lube midrace. In fact the only times I've re-lubed during a ride* are when doing an MTB enduro in awful conditions and a 5 day 750km tour.

Squirt needs to dry anyway, so you're wasting time. My point though is if you're at a level where the difference between waxing / squirt is genuinely making a difference, there is no way you are stopping mid race. Unless you're racing me. In which case please feel free to stop every 50 miles to re-lube. And don't forget the headset too. And perhaps swap out the bottom bracket.

*technically not re-lubing, but on my commuter bike I did use the scottoiler system and that did reduce wear significantly.

Edit to add: I'm stuck at the airport with my flight delayed again for the 7th trip in a row and so am especially grumpy and unforgiving this morning.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Jun 16, 19 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I hear double century, my mind definitely is not thinking that is a race. Of course, I may be absolutely wrong! All the century rides/ fondos I've done have been with friends, stopping a few times to snack, no real rush. If it is pissing down rain, I'd be doubly prone to dry out a second and grab a burger! At that moment, perfect time to reapply some squirt.

The only time I've had to add squirt to a waxed chain was a CX weekend. Saturday was pouring down rain on a sandy course. I cleaned up pretty well after and preriding on Sunday, the chain was super chattery. Squirt time! (That wax only had ~50 miles on it.) Next few days, back in the wax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes its a charity ride and not a race with plenty of rest stops that I can reapply some lube.

How long does Squirt take to dry and will it actually dry ontop of Gulf Wax are they compatible? Afterwards, can I just put my chain back in the crockpot of wax or will I need to strip off any Squirt before re-waxing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just throw it in the hot wax before, or if you want wash it in diesel and use oil, it will get dirty in the rain but so what. Don't put oil on during the ride, that's silly.
Last edited by: jroden: Jun 16, 19 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ride and don't worry about it. Clean and lube after your ride or don't. Enjoy the double.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gregman1 wrote:
How long does Squirt take to dry and will it actually dry ontop of Gulf Wax are they compatible? Afterwards, can I just put my chain back in the crockpot of wax or will I need to strip off any Squirt before re-waxing?

I try to avoid riding in the rain, but when I do get caught the wax is fine. I only suggested you bring Squirt because you are obviously worried about it, not because you'll need it.

If I put any lube on the chain, I'd clean it before remaxing. Squirt should require less thorough cleaning. You can use any lube in a pinch.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Just ride and don't worry about it. Clean and lube after your ride or don't. Enjoy the double.

Seriously. You've applied a hydrophobic barrier; the chain is going to be fine for a few days in the rain. Dry it off a little after the ride and it'll be fine. I'm pretty obsessive about the care of my gear, but this level of concern is unwarranted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Gregman1 wrote:

I try to avoid riding in the rain, but when I do get caught the wax is fine. I only suggested you bring Squirt because you are obviously worried about it, not because you'll need it.

If I put any lube on the chain, I'd clean it before remaxing. Squirt should require less thorough cleaning. You can use any lube in a pinch.

Definitely! Mineral spirits, dry, ethanol, dry, wax.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:

+1

I can see bringing lube just in case although I wouldn’t bother even with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had great luck with waxed chains in wet conditions. For me, they get noisy quickly. As everyone else said, Squirt is a good option for you. You can even carry a bottle of it in your pocket, and using your left hand, reach through the main triangle of your frame and squirt it on your chain while you pedal (right by the front mech)

I've had really good experiences with NFS lube in the rain.

If i were in your shoes, I'd buy another chain, clean it, apply a good wet lube, and use it for this event. Then re-wax your waxed chain and put it back on after this event. Chains are disposable items. Your waxed chain will eventually wear out, and then you can switch back to your rain chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand... If you chain is waxed you should easily be able to ride a double century. In any weather...without having to re-lube mid ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain and the Rain - what to do? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. OP should just relax on this. I've done a bunch of double centuries, DK200, etc on waxed chains. I prefer their performance to traditional petro chemical lubes. During all conditions as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been helping a friend who owns a bike shop lately doing repairs. One thing that seems to be the hallmark and many triathlete's bikes is a filthy chain and black splatter all over the rear end of the bike.

The chain filth seems to be caused by adding ever more oil to the dirty chain, so it eventually takes on the consistency of an amusement park ride.

Simple fix is this--spray something on the chain first to clean it, wd40 is just fine, just back pedal the bike and blow some on there. Take a rag and wrap it around the chain and wipe it off hard until it's clean. Apply some oil. Key final step: Take that same rag and wipe as much of the excess off the chain as you can.

It's like 2 minutes. I use chain saw bar oil, leftover mobil 1, real chain lube, melted paraffin in a crock pot, whatever. Just clean the chain and remove the excess lube.

If you do use a crock pot full of hot wax, you can mix the spent wax with dryer lint as a great fire starter, i use egg cartons
Quote Reply