Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert)
Quote | Reply
If you're a fan of the show and have watched it to the end of the latest season, what's your thoughts of it going sans tent? Are they going to drop Conversation Street? What about the Ebola Drome? Is that going to be gone too?
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The specials are my favorite so I’m ok with it. But I will miss the chatting (not that I know much about cars) and the car segments and timed laps. Won’t miss the celebrity bits though, these were better on TG

I’m just glad it’s not totally canceled which is what I thought was going to happen when JC started the speech
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only halfway through the season but I did start to notice that they are wearing the same clothes for the tent scenes in all episodes. Like they filmed them all in one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
If you're a fan of the show and have watched it to the end of the latest season, what's your thoughts of it going sans tent? Are they going to drop Conversation Street? What about the Ebola Drome? Is that going to be gone too?

My understanding is all the normal show stuff is gone. No more chat, no more testing cars around their track, no more celebrity interviews. Just travel specials.

I like the specials, but the chat, car reviews, track times, etc are what made the original show popular, and I would have preferred that they keep those parts.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
justcallmejoe wrote:

My understanding is all the normal show stuff is gone. No more chat, no more testing cars around their track, no more celebrity interviews. Just travel specials.

I like the specials, but the chat, car reviews, track times, etc are what made the original show popular, and I would have preferred that they keep those parts.

i dunno, the specials are what you remember from seasons past (or at least what i do). i miss the Stig, and the celebrity interviews (a few of those stand out as genuinely great interviews), but the best part of TG format show is the specials, because that's what showcases the interaction of the presenters' personalities and why the show is those three.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of the problem might be the time lag between filming and the episodes airing. Especially for the car tests and chats about new developments. They are dated by the time the show aired particularly in the age of quick info on the web.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
slowguy wrote:
justcallmejoe wrote:

i dunno, the specials are what you remember from seasons past (or at least what i do). i miss the Stig, and the celebrity interviews (a few of those stand out as genuinely great interviews), but the best part of TG format show is the specials, because that's what showcases the interaction of the presenters' personalities and why the show is those three.

I think the specials work because they're spaced out between the regular format of the shows. If you just do the specials, you're going to get lots fewer of them, or the "special" nature of them is going to go away.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good point.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only really care about the specials.

I'm pretty uninterested in cars in general, but being a middle aged man the thought of long road trips, twatting about with mates, is endlessly appealing..
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Part of the problem might be the time lag between filming and the episodes airing. Especially for the car tests and chats about new developments. They are dated by the time the show aired particularly in the age of quick info on the web.

That was starting to be a problem with their last seasons on TG. They'd film the studio part on Saturday for a Sunday broadcast, but it would still be news from earlier in the week - if your at all interested in car news, it's old news by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was happy when they dumped all the celebrity stuff. I always skipped those segments in the original show. I do enjoy the specials, and those are the episodes my wife likes to watch with me. I am not in the market for a $200,000 car so I am not into the show for the information. I do hope it is not all just epic special type stuff though. I enjoy the "buy an 80's car for $3k and do tests" stuff as well as the epic adventures. I had even lost a bit of interest in the ebola drome and lap time board, it was okay, but not terribly exciting at this point.

I will say, I am really going to miss Conversation Street. It was good in season 2 but was great in season 3. Sometimes the specials can get a bit scripted. Watching them go at each other in CS was very funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Amazon really understood, or at the least, their vision for it and Clarksons et Al were not aligned

Topgear worked for a number of reasons that the GT did not. It really was a studio once per week, the audience changed each week, the news was current

There have been moments of genius in the GT. The trip to France with the modern vintage Aston and jag was fantastic but the whole thing is a bit tired now.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Tour (potential spoiler alert) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I don't think Amazon really understood, or at the least, their vision for it and Clarksons et Al were not aligned

Topgear worked for a number of reasons that the GT did not. It really was a studio once per week, the audience changed each week, the news was current

There have been moments of genius in the GT. The trip to France with the modern vintage Aston and jag was fantastic but the whole thing is a bit tired now.

I think there are plenty of specials left to be done. I enjoyed the Columbia special with Hammond's monster truck and trying to go the whole show without saying cocaine. I just hope it isn't all travel based specials from now on. For example in TG there was the buy a semi truck and see what it is like to be a truck driver episode. That was one of the best challenges they have done, but it was during a regular studio show.
Quote Reply