Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists
Quote | Reply
Do you always stop for pedestrians at a crosswalk?

I consider myself a fairly cautious and considerate cyclist and generally follow traffic laws when out riding, but had an interesting encounter with a pedestrian yesterday near the end of my ride yesterday.

I was on a main residential road without stop signs, but crosswalks at each intersection. I was cruising at a moderate speed of about 16mph. I was coming up on one intersection at the same time a pedestrian was approaching the crosswalk. We got
there simultaneously and I proceeded through. As I did, she said a very sarcastic "thank you."

I generally yield to pedestrians, by slowing down and going around them. In this case, I felt I didn't have much time to slow, down shift, and cycle the chain. With the timing of it, I really would have had to unclip and make a full stop, but I didn't and juust continued on through. She was still at the curb as a passed by and she made her comment.

I've been almost hit in NYC by cyclists who blow thru lights, sometimes going the wrong way, but this wasn't a case like that, not in my opinion at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I accommodate pedestrians, and in fact, I've had numerous pedestrians thank me and tell me that I'm way nicer than all the drivers. I'm sure there's been a few instances like yours when I didn't, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sounds like she was delayed maybe a moment at the most and that you didn't endanger her. It's like when four cars all arrive at an intersection from different directions at the same moment. Everybody is on someone's right, so who goes first? It usually gets worked out without any problems...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don’t know what the law actually is (and too lazy to look it up so will let the wisdom of ST tell me). If somebody is standing at the curb, not on the street yet, do you need to yield? Or is it just when they are physically in the crosswalk on the street?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't have yielded unless they were in the crosswalk. Being on the sidewalk is being on the sidewalk. And if they saw me coming and then walked in to the crosswalk right in front of me, I probably would have just swerved around as that's pretty dumb.

If I came up on them while they were already clearly in the crosswalk, then definitely would've stopped.

Sometimes it's just a judgment call and what's safest for everyone, myself included.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
I wouldn't have yielded unless they were in the crosswalk. Being on the sidewalk is being on the sidewalk. And if they saw me coming and then walked in to the crosswalk right in front of me, I probably would have just swerved around as that's pretty dumb.

If I came up on them while they were already clearly in the crosswalk, then definitely would've stopped.

Sometimes it's just a judgment call and what's safest for everyone, myself included.

And sometimes somebody is standing on the sidewalk RIGHT NEXT TO the crosswalk, and then I slow down to let them cross, and they don't budge, so sometimes there's just no winning.

My favorite is when pedestrians walk right out in front of you with no notice, as if the laws of physics don't apply, and you're magically going to be able to stop your vehicle on a dime.
That's the best.
/end pink.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commute via bicycle to work at a large state university. The students and university employees have trained drivers of motor vehicles to stop whenever a pedestrian is anywhere near a crosswalk. The law, at least in Ohio, is to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, not approaching a crosswalk. Anyone who has ridden a bicycle knows how important momentum is to a cyclist, so I have no problem expecting a pedestrian to stop before entering the crosswalk if a cyclist is approaching at speed. I often ride past a pedestrian in the crosswalk without getting a sarcastic comment from the pedestrian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking I ride by the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) of Ontario. That means stopping for Pedestrians in cross walks.

I'm a big advocate that if we (all cyclists) want to have greater respect and understanding from motorists and as well pedestrians, we need to abide as best as we can to the rules of the road.

In our area, most of the larger cycling clubs, have adopted this policy for all group rides. The numbers of "renegade rides", have been reduced.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My job is a bike messenger. So yea Im the person people love who goes through stop signs, red lights, opposite direction on roads (honestly its safer for me)... most the times I was hit by a car is when I FOLLOW the law perfectly. But when I see pedestrians in cross walk, I yield to their forward direction...that means I do my best to go around the backs of them, not to cut them off.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedestrians have the go IN the crosswalk, not 3 feet before it. Not 10 feet before it. The ped has to treat it like a 4 way stop in which they have the right of way. They can't automatically jump out, at speed, into the intersection. Otherwise, you wind up with a Mexican standoff of "well, who's going to get there first".

Also, a bike is so narrow that this shouldn't be an issue. Lady was a dick.

People seem to think a cross walk means you can just automatically stand there without a signal and jump out. Not really. Once you are out, you're the King/Queen.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Pedestrians have the go IN the crosswalk, not 3 feet before it. Not 10 feet before it. The ped has to treat it like a 4 way stop in which they have the right of way. They can't automatically jump out, at speed, into the intersection. Otherwise, you wind up with a Mexican standoff of "well, who's going to get there first".

People seem to think a cross walk means you can just automatically stand there without a signal and jump out. Not really. Once you are out, you're the King/Queen.

pedestrian should always have right of way and many state laws indicate that. we must be mindful of this as soon as our roads will be dominated by robots.... humans should have higher rights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How inconvenient for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

pedestrian should always have right of way and many state laws indicate that. we must be mindful of this as soon as our roads will be dominated by robots.... humans should have higher rights.

I tend to agree with the "should" part. But, not everywhere reflects that. Lots of them say "in", not "waiting to cross". Meaning, that's where I said what I did.

As a walker/jogging, I have never gotten to a crosswalk and expected everyone to slam on their brakes. I've always taken it as once I see a gap, I go, and when I go everyone coming is responsible to stop and wait.

That might not be ideal, but that's how I keep myself safe as a walker/jogger. I like that expectation better than having a person jump cars thinking they got there first.

This exact situation is why busier crossings that aren't part of a stop light are adding signals. The ped pushes the request, it stops the cars.

It eliminates the scenario I had highlighted above of the "race" to who got there first.

It didn't sound like the biker here was "me too" scenario of being the 10th car or vehicle to run the crosswalk. It sounded like to me a "who won" at arrival to the crossing.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswalks, pedestrians, and cyclists [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the replies everyone. Just wanted to share and get other's opinions.

Like I said in my OP, I generally follow traffic laws when riding, but not 100% the way I would if driving a car.

When cycling, I do yield to pedestrians, which is usually just slowing down and safely maneuvering around them.

If it were me walking at a crosswalk, I would wait for the cyclist to pass or even wave them through, but that's probably because I also ride and know what momentum means to a cyclist and I consider cyclists as vulnerable as pedestrians, even more so, because it is harder to react/evade danger on a moving bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is charge of their own bodies. Be prepared to stop. Acknowledge them if they let you pass.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I treat pedestrians the same way I would expect to be treated, which as already has been mentioned, similar to a 4 way stop where the pedestrian has the right of way. Meaning the pedestrian has to stop at the curb of the sidewalk, look (both ways if necessary) so that other traffic (cars or bikes) can identify their intentions to cross and yield appropriately before they enter the crosswalk.

If I take those appropriate actions, make eye contact with approaching traffic who has plenty of time to stop, and they decide that their time is more valuable than the rules of the road, then I may mutter something under my breath.

If that pedestrian who mouthed off to the OP would have slammed their brakes on a bike or in a car for another pedestrian approaching the crosswalk at the same time as they were crossing it...then I guess they may feel justified in what they said. But it seems like a lot of people live by the "do as I say and not as I do" motto.
Quote Reply