Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit critique
Quote | Reply
My friend Fishbum stopped over today to help me with a bike fit (bad quality before photo here). He suggested that I post my new fit on here and get some feedback. He is going to make some adjustments in a couple weeks after I have some time to experiment with my power output in the new position.

These improvements were made specifically for a 20-minute TT in eight weeks.

After video:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought was move your forearms forward a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly an improvement over the "before" photo. I agree with the tactic of settling in with that position for a while. It takes a while to acclimate and get comfortable enough to lay down some power. No substitute for on road time IMO, then you can start tweaking the bike. Otherwise...

Relax the hands, no need for a death grip.
Work on relaxing the back and keeping the hips rotated forward.

Note that both of these items are passive not active. As in "don't just do something, stand there!"

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a couple of points I want to make. We are making these changes with a budget of about 20 bucks. Which we ate up in putting him on a different seat that let him roll his hips forward. He was able to do that pretty readily and get pretty relaxed without forcing the position. I tinkered around with giving him more reach as we did add a centimeter but our next jump would have had to be 2cm with a longer stem that I had sitting in my toolbox.looking at the video now I do agree he could use a little more reach but two centimeters seemed to be too much at the time. We're hoping to hook up again in a couple weeks and I would like to not only maybe a dress that reach but also try to get him narrower in the front. We didn't bother posting a video of that because we haven't made any changes and he's still rather wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you look pretty good.

What is the seat to pad drop?

Not knowing the answer I would say you could go a bit lower if it doesn’t hurt your power output. Meaning, I would go lower before longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I didn't take the time to measure that. My primary concern while we were doing the fit was how his hips felt at the top of his pedal stroke I want to make sure he wasn't binding up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look good. With some turtle and shrug, and a little more reach you'll be great. 2cm is nothing for reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll echo what rruff said. Looks pretty damn good. Getting that head online with your back and shrugging your shoulders will be key. That takes practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping Trent or Eric and Dan would offer there thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Jim nailed it. I'd like to stretch you out a cm or two.

It's very good, though.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like he did a good job. I guess Fishbum knows something after all.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even a blind squirrel!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welp, time to set up my video camera equipment. . .let me put m' beer down first. safety.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply