Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running in Heat [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just moved to NE Florida from Vancouver BC 10 weeks ago and I was horrible in heat and I mean horrible. (Former bodybuilder is carrying more muscle than most)

That said, I’ve dedicated to heat training the last 5 weeks and last week I was 90 minutes in 102F and didn’t have any trouble and now just came in from a humid AF 87F 12mile tempo run and I didn’t drink any water. Despite having a sweat rate of 3L/hr ( I know that wasn’t smart)

Here are my tips:
-Ditch the A/C in your vehicle and crack the window. That 1 or so you spend driving in AC hurts your heat adaption.
-When you go for an early morning or treadmill run; wear long sleeves or a hoodie so when you run in the heat in shorts and t-shirt, the wind will make a more pronounced impact.
- Cycle indoors without the fan. This will cause the biggest heat adaption as your body will learn to sweat more efficiently.
-Go in the sauna for 20 minutes 2-3x a week after a swim (Can build on that as your adapt).
Bring water though as some people say it’s better to do it dehydrated but it will trash your system so the risk isn’t worth the gain.
-hydrate like crazy! I’m doing this protocol and I go to be dehydrated after driving 2.5-3 gallons of water a day so take your hydration seriously.

I rain 6x a week in heat for 4 weeks and had little improvement in my heat running but after just 2 weeks of this I started to notice a lot of comfortability in the heat.

Best of luck and train safe!
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Jun 15, 19 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please stop with all this common sense advice. Why can't you be like the Tim Noakes fanboys and just prescribe "drink to thirst"? /pink

BGildenstern wrote:
I just moved to NE Florida from Vancouver BC 10 weeks ago and I was horrible in heat and I mean horrible. (Former bodybuilder is carrying more muscle than most)

That said, I’ve dedicated to heat training the last 5 weeks and last week I was 90 minutes in 102F and didn’t have any trouble and now just came in from a humid AF 87F 12mile tempo run and I didn’t drink any water. Despite having a sweat rate of 3L/hr ( I know that wasn’t smart)

Here are my tips:
-Ditch the A/C in your vehicle and crack the window. That 1 or so you spend driving in AC hurts your heat adaption.
-When you go for an early morning or treadmill run; wear long sleeves or a hoodie so when you run in the heat in shorts and t-shirt, the wind will make a more pronounced impact.
- Cycle indoors without the fan. This will cause the biggest heat adaption as your body will learn to sweat more efficiently.
-Go in the sauna for 20 minutes 2-3x a week after a swim (Can build on that as your adapt).
Bring water though as some people say it’s better to do it dehydrated but it will trash your system so the risk isn’t worth the gain.
-hydrate like crazy! I’m doing this protocol and I go to be dehydrated after driving 2.5-3 gallons of water a day so take your hydration seriously.

I rain 6x a week in heat for 4 weeks and had little improvement in my heat running but after just 2 weeks of this I started to notice a lot of comfortability in the heat.

Best of luck and train safe!

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice on hydration packs given, here is what saved me from heat exhaustion/stroke one day:

Wear a heart rate monitor. On a very, very hot day, while well hydrated (had a camelbak back pack on), I started to feel a little dizzy, not much, but odd. Looked at my heart rate and it was 15 or so beats higher than what it typically would be for my pace. So I backed down on the pace, heart rate doesn’t drop, I back off more, it’s not dropping. Walked and found some shade, poured water over me and rested until my heart rate finally came down. Then walked home. Don’t think I would have stopped if not for noticing that heart rate.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train low, sleep high

Train cool, live hot?
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Train low, sleep high

Train cool, live hot?

Not as silly as it seems except the other way around.
When I started doing Ironman in the early '90s I was living in Cairns and training in the heat was hell.The thing that made it worse is that back in those days most folks didn't have any air conditioning .That meant you trained in the heat and humidity only to have to sleep in the heat and humidity as well.Once aircon's became the norm the home life became much more bearable and sleeping was finally something that gave the body the rest it needed instead of spending hours tossing and turning under a fan.It also opened up the opportunity to do the hardest of bike workouts indoors leaving the outdoor training rides for hill reps and long rides.
Same can be said for swimming and running.It was great to finally be able to come home to an aircon after swim training in a 29C pool or a run in the heat which actually meant I ran more during the day instead of squeezing it in at night after work.The difference in recovery was night and day and we no longer needed to go to the shopping mall or the movies to cool down.
These days I spend half my year in Thailand and the aircon never gets turned off.I flat out could not live in the tropics anymore without it let alone do any meaningful training.Sometimes it feels freezing in my bedroom but the recovery is palpable.I spend every summer riding through villages wondering just how the hell the locals tolerate the heat and humidity in their open homes let alone how the bloody hell the cyclists and runners run and ride their bikes in summer wearing tights,long sleeves and face masks in the blazing sun. They think I am hilarious and the quote from one local was "We can't understand why Farangs (foreigners) spend so much time on the beach in their underwear".
Funny thing is,here in Oz right now on the beautiful Sunshine Coast I am not the least bit motivated to ride in perfect conditions because of the hatred for cyclists on our roads and can't wait to go back to Thailand next month and suffer in the furnace that are the pitch black but friendly Thai roads. Beach running and surf swimming here in Coolum is waaaay more fun though compared to the hot sand and flat water of Gulf of Thailand.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jun 15, 19 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrate with electrolytes, know where the water fountains are at schools or parks, stop if you need too get HR down and stretch in some shade while recovering.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
kerikstri wrote:
Is this something that I will eventually just adapt to?

Yes, you will acclimate to the heat if you consistently run in it. Just take it easy for a while until you're feeling more comfortable in the heat.

Yep, train in it. There is a local running group that runs early on Saturdays because it's cooler then complain when they race bad in a hot race. Just run, take walk breaks if you have to and run by drinking fountains.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:
kerikstri wrote:
Is this something that I will eventually just adapt to?

Yes, you will acclimate to the heat if you consistently run in it. Just take it easy for a while until you're feeling more comfortable in the heat.

Yep, train in it. There is a local running group that runs early on Saturdays because it's cooler then complain when they race bad in a hot race. Just run, take walk breaks if you have to and run by drinking fountains.

This is it. No magic trick. I live in central Georgia and I just accept the fact that my easy run pace slows by around 20-30 seconds per mile on average when it’s 90+ degrees with high humidity. You’re body is working harder to keep cool so you have to give on the pace.

I’m training for Augusta right now so I actually try to get in some mid afternoon runs just so I don’t melt on race day. It was around 96 degrees last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find ice helps me the most. I use a ice cap that holds ice in using a draw string and a special order skin cooler shirt from DeSoto. They added two pockets on the front of the shirt for me. Need to replenish the ice every 30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Atlanta and at times am unable to avoid outdoor runs in the heat and humidity. One thing that helps me a lot is keeping my (long) hair and clothes wet. It's not unheard of for me to put on my visor, sports bra and shorts and then hop in the shower to get everything wet before heading out the door for a hot run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the South and its hot and humid from May -Oct.

1. Hydrate is a no-brainer. Real tip is to slow down. Your HR will be higher than normal because of the heat.
2. Have realistic expectations when running when its hot. This is not the time for tempo runs or faster.
3. if you don't mind squishy feet....stay wet. You will evaporate heat better even if its humid.
4. If you wear a hat change to a sun visor. It allows your head to cool better and keeps sweat out of your eyes.
5. You will lose more electrolytes in the heat. You have to replace them. Where water goes NACL goes with it.
6. Body Glide is your friend. In the heat you will be wet and all your clothing will rub. I Body Glide me feet too.
7. Trail running can be even hotter when its humid. The shade is nice but there is no wind. It gets really hot and steamy.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good answers, but still complicated ones. I live/train in the humid swamps of D.C. At the end of the day, hydrate before afternoon session and SLOW DOWN. I use heart rate & ensure I don't pass Z2. IMO, these are NOT "junk miles." Your body will only be stronger come fall race season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next