Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. The ultrasonic is just a stainless liner so I should be able to put anything in it I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me, for a used chain, I run it through a Park Tool chain cleaner first with Simple green and hose it off. This will get rid of all the obvious buildup and nastiness.

Then I do the simple green/water mix in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then hose it down and hang it to dry before waxing. That way, the ultrasonic is only really getting at the innards of the chain.

Also, don't wipe the hot/wet chain of wax. Hang to dry/cool. Then articulate by hand to break the wax stiff wax up. Throw it on and take it for a short outdoors ride to sling off the excess, don't do that indoors on a trainer and sling it all over the house.

I typically keep a spare chain for each bike so a bike is never down for the process.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The ultrasonic is just a stainless liner so I should be able to put anything in it I think.

I'd give that a shot next time then. But like I said, even with the grimiest of chains, I've only ever needed to let it soak in spirits, shake it around occasionally, then wipe dry with a light colored rag to make sure there's not a bunch of gunk still on it. If there is, throw it back in the spirits for a few more hours with more ultrasonic/manual agitation. Also note that you'll only need to do the spirits and ethanol the first time to remove all the oily gunk. Thereafter, you'll only need to dust it off briefly (or MAYBE soap and water) before you throw it back in the wax.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the minerals spirits in a jar before, wiped down, put in a 2nd jar with clean spirits, shake & let sit. Always came out with dirt on the rag. Could never get the chains fully clean. Hoped the ultrasonic would do it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next