Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frankenbike Fit Critique
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch, this is my first post after lurking for more than a year. Hoping to draw on your wisdom for a bike fit critique.

I've got a road bike that I've turned into a sad excuse for a TT bike with a slammed, angled stem, forward seatpost and ISM saddle (university student budget allows for n=1). This video shows the setup I've been using this season:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

I realised my hips were rocking a bit, so I lowered the seat a little and my head position looks even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

How could I make this better? I can't lower the bars any more, but I can shift the pads forward. I have great adjustability on my saddle. My A race is Muskoka 70.3, and I'm doing some Olympics this season too.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike Fit Critique [WD40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hip rocking didn't seem too bad and knee angle seemed OK in the first video.

I'd maybe get the pads further forward, tilt your helmet back, and learn to turtle.

If you want to go lower then you could feasibly get a low profile dust cap on the headset (looks like you've got a regular tall one as best as I can tell from the video)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD40 wrote:

How could I make this better?

Get rid of the Rudy Project helmet....

seriously though, if you added some reach, ie. moved the pads and extensions forward some, that would help. Be careful of how your bike handles after that though.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike Fit Critique [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did the whole road bike TT bar thing a year ago, I spent $30 on some used stems.

I think it may be worth it here.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike Fit Critique [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Hip rocking didn't seem too bad and knee angle seemed OK in the first video.

I'd maybe get the pads further forward, tilt your helmet back, and learn to turtle.

If you want to go lower then you could feasibly get a low profile dust cap on the headset (looks like you've got a regular tall one as best as I can tell from the video)

Thanks, I'll try turtling and adjusting my pads.

I'm interested in a low-profile dust cap (or cone spacer as Specialized calls it). My cone spacer is 20mm tall, and has an o-ring at the top and a rubber gasket at the bottom. The fork flops around in the headset when I remove the cone. How could I go about sourcing a compatible shorter cone?
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike Fit Critique [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
WD40 wrote:

How could I make this better?

Get rid of the Rudy Project helmet....

But it's fluorescent orange, guaranteed to make you faster!

I realize it's not the greatest aero helmet but it's better than my training helmet at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike Fit Critique [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some grainy FinisherPix photos from a 70.3 race this past weekend. Per burnthesheep's comment I bought a longer and lower stem and I think the stem along with a bit of turtling practice helped me with my head position.

I managed a 2:40:01 over 88km course with ~800m elevation gain. My power was 182AP/194NP.

Is there any way I can get faster? I realize my power numbers aren't the greatest and that's something I'm going to work on during the off season.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD40 wrote:

Is there any way I can get faster?

get rid of the Rudy Project helmet

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply