Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help a beginner
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I participated to my first Olympic distance exactly a year ago.., with a MTB and 400 meters elevation, 3:15 ! 4th from last but I had a blast.

I don‘t give up, so now I trained a whole year and I will race the same Olympic Distance Saturday.., this time on a P2 stock! I will let you know how it went this WE

My questiona to you
1- I bought Road shoes, and I love training in my s-Works 7.., I will never be able to get my shoes on the fly! So my plan is to put socks and shoes on..., but How can I run the 300 m in T1 with those shoes on? I can hardly walk in them and the carbon sole will get destroyed!!???

2- nutrition: I usually use only electrolytes during my trainings under 2 hours. Over 2 hours I use Powerbar mix drink with electrolytes and about 300 calories an hour (640 ml an hour). My plan was one Gel right before the swim, one gel during T1, 640 ml electrolytes drink during the bike, one gel during t2 and drinks from aid station during the run.. what do you think??

Thanks and cheers from the Austrian alps
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner [roberto6464] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they put carpet down running in your shoes should be fine. Much different than running in them on concrete. Otherwise I guess you could carry them to the bike mount. I don't think there's a rule against it.

As far as nutrition goes I don't race a lot at the OLY distance but the calories sound a little light. I would personally probably try to take in a few more calories on the bike. Running out of gas for a 10k is not a great experience. I think the body generally has ~2k calories of stored glycogen. Assuming you're burning 700 calories / hour you're pushing it at three hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t wear socks on the bike. And, carry your shoes to the mount line and put them on there. That would let you run through T1 much faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't fuel during transition, that's just going to slow down. Take the gels at the very beginning and very end of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3 for carrying shoes

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Terrible day!
Maybe I am just not cut for the Sport

Swim: 1500 m in 36 minutes, no wetsuit allowed. MOP

T1: 1,5 minutes. Putting socks on an regular road shoes takes forever.

Bike: 40 k with lots of elevation..., I think 500 m
First 15 k went well, then I started feeling thirsty, hot and no energy. Finished in 1:35, most people have now passed me

T2: ok

Run: no energy, 34 degrees C. Could not run at all.

I did train, but Not 100% regularly because Job, family

Bike: P2 Stock

Nutrition: sipped at Electrolite Powerbar wit ca 200 calories 1,5 hr before start

30 minutes before start, 1 gel with water

On the Bike, a Gel Then a drink with 700 ml water mixed to 0,7g Na / 333 mg K / 120 mg Ca / 70 mg Mg/ 171 cal

Comments please..., feeling not to good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you feel coming out of the water? Sounds like the swim and bike wore you out so you were gassed by the time you hit the run.

Did you do any training in the heat? Heat acclimatization is important. You don’t want your race to be the first time you’re running and biking in the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone feels good on the run at 34ºC, especially if it's humid

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
How did you feel coming out of the water? Sounds like the swim and bike wore you out so you were gassed by the time you hit the run.

Did you do any training in the heat? Heat acclimatization is important. You don’t want your race to be the first time you’re running and biking in the heat.

Felt ok out of the water, disappointed as in the pool I swim 1500m in 30 minutes

I only train in the early morning, I don’t have much time mid day.., true, the few times I did run under the heat it was devastating..

Was my electrolyte mix too thick? It was salty and never quenched my thirst

Also, after the swim I could not get my heart rate below 175-180..., I tried slowing down a bit and it just did not com down.., usually at 35 km/h I have an hr of 170.., which I could hold for a while

PS, I am 45, 63 kg, Second Olympic Distance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of folks swim slower in open water because of sighting, not being comfortable in open water, poor visibility, etc.

May be a case of pushing too hard mixed with poor conditions. HR elevated out of the swim and the heat kept it from coming back down.

I’m not sure about your electrolyte mix. If you’ve trained with it and it worked then it should have been good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't mentioned your training, perhaps you haven't really stressed yourself enough to meet the race conditions?

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry your shoes to the bike mount

If you can undo the shoe straps pull your feet out, you can leave your shoes on the bike when you get to T2

For gels, pre-tear the gels and put some electrical tape round the top of them and tape to your top tube or handleabars. Put three on the bike. One for after the swim and T1, immediately when you start the bike. One part way through the bike (maybe more if it’s a longer bike), and one before you enter T2
Last edited by: jharris: Jun 15, 19 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished my triathlon today!
10 km in 55 minutes

Will restart from Scartch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roberto6464 wrote:
I had a Terrible day!
Maybe I am just not cut for the Sport

Comments please..., feeling not to good!

EVERY triathlete has a bad race from time to time. You'll learn from it and it will improve you. Dont sweat it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roberto6464 wrote:
Finished my triathlon today!
10 km in 55 minutes

Will restart from Scartch!

It sucks that you had a disappointing race early on in your experience, but it's good that you can bounce back from it. Don't set your expectations too high, and truly embrace progress goals instead of race goals at this point. It's definitely the way to go in the early days.

Good luck!
Quote Reply