Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Time Kona tips
Quote | Reply
I qualified for Kona this weekend at IM Boulder 35-39. I am super excited and am really looking forward to my first time out there. I need some first timer tips with only a few months to get things squared away both traveling and training.
Heat Training?
Never really swam in the ocean. How much different than lake swimming?
Where to stay/not stay?
Airbnb or hotel
Ship bike or rent?
How many days prior to show up?
Is bringing young kids too much of a hassle (under 10 yrs)?
What activities to attend during the IM week.
Expectations for bike power and run pace coming from 5000’ down to Sea Level but dealing with the heat.
Any other training tips or insights would be appreciated.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a dump, but I like to stay at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay hotel because it is close to everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the search function. Plenty of content in old threads. One in particular gives a great breakdown every year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee does an excellent job...
here's the beginning of his 2018 thread
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...na%20coffee#p6729131

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations - enjoy the journey
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It's a dump, but I like to stay at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay hotel because it is close to everything.

If you like cockroaches...like you said, it's close and on top of the chaos/ground zero at the Hot Corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to figure out if you are going to balls out race it or go for a victory lap. It will make a huge difference in your preparation and how much you enjoy it out there.
There is a deer in the headlight factor the first time and if you are so focused on your race and training session your brain can get pretty scrambled.
I would suggest going out their fit and having a great week, take it all in, do all the activities during race week and finish with a long training day on Saturday.
Taking the family really depends on how serious about the race your are, the less the better for family activities. If you are going out to kill it then how does the family respond to you staying back while they go explore.
Congrats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
I qualified for Kona this weekend at IM Boulder 35-39. I am super excited and am really looking forward to my first time out there. I need some first timer tips with only a few months to get things squared away both traveling and training.
Heat Training?
YES, it's a different kind of "oppressive heat" than what you'd expect. It's almost choking it's so freaking hot. One reason I'm retired from racing that horrific place--truly miserable.

Never really swam in the ocean. How much different than lake swimming? A lot. Big swell and currents, salt water helps you float a lot but practice sighting on the TOP of the swell or you'll get a wave in your face. But at the end of the day, it's water. I wouldn't worry about it too much, since you legit KQ, you must be a good swimmer or good enough anyhow.

Where to stay/not stay? Depends on your flavor. Some don't like noise & people or the chaos, so you'd not want to stay anywhere around Ali'i Drive. Condos, Airbnb, Timeshares--I'm sure a lot of places are sold out already. We stayed in the Royal Kona Resort which has a private beach for your kids to play in a protected area behind the "B" Building, and an onsite Luau. Expensive as hell but close to everything but not on top of everything--a sense of privacy for a price. It's the hotel that juts into the Bay that looks like a cruise ship (from the Pier looking down the coast). You don't need a car either, as you can walk to anywhere with the family. Unless you want to travel around the island that is. Even then, good luck getting a car to rent if they're not sold out already. They may have added cars from the Hilo side for that week, so it's been a while since I've been there & couldn't give a status on availability race week.
Airbnb or hotel

Ship bike or rent? Don't rent. Use your bike that is fit for you. Lots of $$ for TriBike Transport but you don't have to worry about it going or leaving. Just drop it off. I take mine to save $$ and am fairly mechanical with enough things to put and take down a bike myself. It is a PITA to live without a bike for a few weeks when TriBike is sending it over, should you only have one bike.

How many days prior to show up? Wednesday is fine. Most places require a 5 night min. stay. To recon the course & get all the stuff done & shop and do the first timer stuff--maybe Tuesday is fine. It's rather condensed so you can hit a lot of places in a few days including the Expo.

Is bringing young kids too much of a hassle (under 10 yrs)? See above...having the kids experience it is great. Take them to the the volcanoes, or take a submarine into the bay where the swim is, or snorkeling. They'll love it & don't deny a possibly once in a life time experience. Take lots of pictures to help them remember.

What activities to attend during the IM week. If you like coffee--go see the "birthplace of Kona Coffee" at Greenwell Farms. Open 7-days a week, on the edge of town. Otherwise, you have the pre/post Ironman party, and any number of things to see. Google things to do in Kona, you won't have enough time to do it all.

Expectations for bike power and run pace coming from 5000’ down to Sea Level but dealing with the heat. It's not going to matter, the drafting is so bad in this race that unless your name is Starky or Frodo, Kienle, Wurf...you will likely get swept up in a pack anyhow. I'd say you need to use the numbers as a guideline and not forget to race from the heart. So many people tied up in numbers & become 2-dimensional racers. Fleck & Monty may agree. You get "bonus points" if you do Kona in a Speedo old school style...(pink)

Any other training tips or insights would be appreciated.
Go have fun, learn how to deal with this kind of course heat. You know what it takes to get there one time. It should be easier next time knowing the level it takes, and what to expect next time around in those conditions. The Ironman Boulder website now says DISCONTINUED so you'll need to pick another qualifier anyhow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, konakoffee will have a thread later on with all the up to date details. My only comment will be about your family. If you are staying less than a week, leave them at home. If it is a longer stay, then bring them, you will have some time to spend with them and having some fun. If you are looking for some family vacation time, then do it after the race, not before. Before the race is crazy, crowded, and it will be hard for you to focus. If they come, think about staying out at Waikailoa, close enough for you, but far enough for you all to have some big island fun. And from there you can easily do the tough parts of the course in pre rides the week before...

Have fun, I would suppose that because of the AG in got in on, you are pretty fast. So no reason you cannot go for it as long as you are fit and healthy. Find out how you are in the heat at the very least...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t underestimate the swim in your training leading up to the race. The ocean is different and requires swim confidence.

Bring your own bike. Costs a lot to fly but is the best option.

The heat isn’t that bad. I think it’s overrated, but I love in the southeast with higher temps and much higher humidity. Have a plan for hydration and calorie intake.

Enjoy the week. It’s surreal in Kona. Attend the pre race dinner. Skip the line for ‘finisher’ gear. You’re fast so you don’t need that.

Don’t bring the kids. It’s too hectic and is unfortunately mostly about you. They will not enjoy it, unless you plan to stay several days after the race. All depends on your budget. That’s the big challenge...just because you qualify doesn’t mean you won’t have to spend thousands to travel and do the race. Everything in Kona is expensive. Everything!!!!

But it’s an amazing experience that you will remember forever. Totally worth it. Congratulations!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search out Tower26 podcasts -- they have some great info on the swim. Last year (perhaps even the year before as well) they did a group swim of the course. Then they provided tons of insight into the swim itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
Heat training -- yes! acclimate in the final 2-3 weeks.
Ocean Swimming -- Kailua Bay can be choppy, other times relatively calm. Depends on the day. Get a feel for it several times race week and do some open water ocean swims before that if convenient.
Where to stay -- I have always stayed in a VRBO house or condo along or not far off Alii north of town. Between Kona and Keahou. I'd recommend that, you'll have your own kitchen and be close but not too close to the craziness.
Take your bike. My Ruster Henhouse has more than paid for itself in saving me on bike fees. If you're not mechanically inclined, Velofix is on the island and will show up to your place. Make an appointment well in advance.
I'd get there a week in advance to acclimate to heat, enjoy the week's festivities, and have everything ready to race.
Take your kids! I went in '17 after a long hiatus from Kona and the primary reason was for my kids to see it. They were 8 and 5 at the time. They'll never forget it. The Kekei dip n dash and parade afterwards are not to be missed for kids. There's a fun run if your kids aren't comfortable in the water. Sure kids are always a hassle but worth it.
Activities: Dip n Dash for the kids, Parade of Nations. Assuming you're American, USAT has a party after the parade with some cool giveaways - I won a pair of Jaybird headphones as a door prize. Underpants run looks fun though I've never participated. Pre and post race banquets are meh in my opinion but you may want to go as a first experience. There's a swim at the pier a week before the race but I've never been there in time to do it. Beyond the race activities make sure you and your family get to relax to enjoy the island. See the sights, especially the volcanoes, cliffs at Waipio Valley, hit up a Luau, consider a snorkel cruise. Keep it fun for your family and don't be all about the race.
I race poorly in the heat and I don't live at elevation, so I'm not a great person to ask. I can tell you my bike power in Kona was about 20% lower than my qualifying race. Run was about 1'/mile slower. This is hot sea level vs. cool sea level so doesn't factor elevation.
Other tips: two IM races in a year is a lot physically, mentally, financially, and with the devotion of time. You're obviously fit if you qualfield at Boulder. Stay conservative with your training, scale it back for now and ramp up briefly and taper for the race. Don't risk injury, burnout, or overtraining for the sake of sticking to a plan. Rest, eat well, train smart, and take care of yourself between now and then. Everyone is crazy fast, and you probably won't podium. Kona is special. Enjoy the experience.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Last edited by: sullytriman: Jun 13, 19 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the swim, chafing can be much more significant in the ocean than in most lakes...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
on the swim, chafing can be much more significant in the ocean than in most lakes...

Yeah, I just noticed that in Lanzarote (neck).
I wonder whether tape will hold.

Edit: Sorry my remark is not relevant for Hawaii since my chafing in Lanzarote was because of the wetsuit.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jun 13, 19 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yup. After my first practice swim at Kona I spent the afternoon looking for a shop selling bodyglide (inside of my left arm and left flank were raw). I never chafe in the pool or freshwater, and all my previous ocean swims were in wetsuits, so didn't even occur to me to lube up.

Kona is also one of the few races where a swimskin makes sense, so one more thing to shop for and get used to.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go in Tuesday by yourself, get a swim or two, ride the bike a little, then run along Alii drive with the rest of the show.

Have your family fly in Thursday, stay in town till Sunday, then get the heck out of Kona and go to Waikoloa Beach and have a vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never done the Kona race but I do love some brick workouts in the heat of Kona!

In these three videos I have various combos of run/bike/swim bricks in and around Kona proper. Head cam on the swim course!

There seems to be a lot of talk of family/ training balance in triathlon training in general. You can see here how I struck a balance.

You will laugh at the bike I am riding but it got the job done. (real heavy is good training for hill climbing I reckon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59SWlZhhlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkc359c7984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzHBY34y25Y

For the swim the bigger the swell, the more murky it is. And sometimes if you are cruising across the reef pans with strong swell you might be shifting 8-10 ft laterally. Sea sickness while swimming is real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Kona tips [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I have some general Kona-specific tips here. I think you might some some value.

Says server not found

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply