Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical?
Quote | Reply
I have never owned a vehicle new enough to be under warranty until a few weeks ago.

Today as I was driving, the check engine light came on. At the next intersection, the truck stalled out. It re-started, but shifted very rough for a few blocks then seemed to go back to normal. Engine light still on.

I called our local dealership. They are booking appointments 3 weeks from now. They said to bring my truck in and "they might be able to address it in a few days". They have a 4 week waiting list for courtesy vehicles. They offered me a day pass for the bus.

My business is way too busy for me to be truckless for at least a few days. I'm going camping next week. I'm tempted to just pay the local shop I used to deal with for the repair privately. Is this typical of dealership service? What the hell is the point of a vehicle warranty if it is this big of a hassle to deal with?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swing by autozone and they should be able to at least read the code. That way you may have an idea if you should/could keep driving it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should drive the cars of your forefathers a Lada or a Fiat (or just get a trusty moose and carriage).

Call a different dealership
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly, he drives a Nissan. And there's only one Nissan dealership in Victoria.

I'd pull the code to see what the problem is before I'd drive it further.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's uncommon for warranty work. Certainly not unheard of.

Have the code checked first. Then see if the wait vs. cost is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me guess... The salesperson told you you'd have a courtesy car every time you came in?

A good dealership should only be booking 70% of his capacity (or so) for appointments - the rest should be kept for additional work, walk-ins, VORs (vehicle off road - tow truck). If the car is 3 weeks old, I'd have it towed in (call roadside assistance, free) and tell them that I'm happy to accept a rental car while they fix it...

New car warranties are amazing, finding a good dealer is priceless... and about as common as finding a unicorn that poops skittles...lol
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
..., finding a good dealer is priceless... and about as common as finding a unicorn that poops skittles...lol

Easy to find an awesome dealer just buy a Tesla, the dealer support is heavenly.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does private repair void the warranty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not typical, from my experience.

I've had to take my car in on a handful of occasions over the ten+ years I have owned it. More than half of those times were for items that turned out to be warranty covered or covered by a recall (i.e. supposed to be no charge to the customer). Each time I was able to get in to the service shop at the local BMW dealership the same day or within the week if it was non-emergent. Each time I was able to get a courtesy car with no questions asked.

Not sure what make of car you drive. I'm sure there are dealerships that wouldn't have been as good as mine were.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking with the dealership or some central scheduling department. Even the phone number they give you and lead you to believe you are talking to the dealership may just be a scheduling department. They are always going to push you out as far as they can. When I schedule a simple oil change and they tell me a week I always ask who I am speaking to and then tell them I want to speak with the dealership directly and lo and behold, they have appointments whenever I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what happens when you have socialized auto care.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
You should drive the cars of your forefathers a Lada or a Fiat (or just get a trusty moose and carriage).

Call a different dealership

As soon as Ferrari makes a pick up truck, I'm on it!

Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
If I remember correctly, he drives a Nissan. And there's only one Nissan dealership in Victoria.

Correct. The closest alternate dealership is an hour away.

I'm going to try to find a can tire where at least I can get the code read tomorrow.

Of course, the check engine light didn't come on for the drove home from work, so, who knows...

Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
This is what happens when you have socialized auto care.

We have socialized auto insurance, but, not auto Care yet, thank baby Jesus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

I'm going to try to find a can tire where at least I can get the code read tomorrow.

Of course, the check engine light didn't come on for the drove home from work, so, who knows...

An hour away might be why but it’s that’s still pretty busy. I could get into our Jeep dealership next day. I had to get mine in last week actually. They had no problem. Warranty work shouldn’t be any different than regular work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

Thought so. I also drove a Nissan truck when I lived in Vic.

You can always buy your own code reader from can tire or princess auto. They're only ~ $70. The access port for older titans is under the dash, near your right knee. Super simple, takes a minute or two. And you can use the reader on almost any new car since 96.
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

You can always buy your own code reader from can tire or princess auto. They're only ~ $70. The access port for older titans is under the dash, near your right knee. Super simple, takes a minute or two. And you can use the reader on almost any new car since 96.

Interesting, I thought the readings on the $70 machines all just read "service vehicle" regardless oh what the code was :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bluetooth code reader $18 Amazon. It is a powerful tool and can reset and adjust many things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

Interesting, I thought the readings on the $70 machines all just read "service vehicle" regardless oh what the code was :-)

Nope. Even my cheapie reads and clears the code (you'll have to Google what the code means).

Mind you, the code may be "service vehicle". :-)

This is the one I have:

https://www.princessauto.com/...cqpQ2E.pal-prod-com3
Last edited by: Ringmaster: Jun 11, 19 20:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be a Victoria dealership thing. Honda is seriously booked up all the time as well.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Vehicle warranty repair work - is this typical? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they do kind of have you by the balls. There is literally zero competition in the area.

I just wonder how you're supposed to deal with emergency or urgent issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO that is not good. My local Toyota place would likely have given me a loaner to get around. Although I doubt I would get a truck I could use to do business. I don't think it would have taken 3-4 weeks to do the work either. Maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see what they can do for you? Another dealer. Squeeky wheel gets the grease kind of thing

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply