Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium
Quote | Reply
Posting with the encouragement of new friend Ben Deal! A really solid race for me and gives me hope for the future for sure. Next up is facing down Brownlee in Ireland!

TLDR version: cancelled swim and tt bike start, 2:03:53 bike on 296 watts NP, a botched transition, and closing with a 1:15:36 run for a 6 second margin over Andrew Yoder.

Full version
https://feighathlon.com/.../11/eagleman-70-3-2/

Note: I get no benefit from your clicks. I’m not that savvy yet.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good race mate! See you in Ireland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

I can't read your report though, browser says your site cannot provide a secure connection.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Congrats!

I can't read your report though, browser says your site cannot provide a secure connection.

Strange, just in case that is happening for anyone else here is a quick copy and paste job! I’m not very short winded.

Last weekend was Eagleman 70.3 in Cambridge, Maryland which was to be a tune up race for IRONMAN Cork in Ireland 2 weeks later. I had raced at Eagleman 2 years ago in a string of 70.3's that pretty much all resulted in me falling apart in the second half of the run. This was a common theme in 2017 in my first full season as a Pro, with Eagleman resulting in a brutal 1:36 half marathon consisting of run/walking. I'm glad I can say that I've now put that time well behind me.

Since moving to Grand Junction, I've gotten in one of the most consistently solid blocks of training that I've ever had. With only a couple hiccups to speak of, I was able to consistently build training over the preceding 8 weeks without being over trained. Charleigh did attempt to get me sick about a week prior, but I was able to shake that in just a few days with plenty of time before the race. I had secured Friday and Monday off for travel to and from the race, flying from Denver to Philadelphia and driving the remaining portions. Everything went pretty smooth on the way there and I rolled into my homestay a little before midnight.

I had the pleasure of staying with former SC rival Ricky Flynn and long time accomplished Pro Justin Park. Everything stayed pretty relaxed and as planned Saturday with some openers on the bike and run that had the legs feeling fresh and ready to rip! It was great seeing old and new friends at the Pro meeting. New buddy Ben Deal and I got a particular amount of attention from a lot of people as we rolled our new unique bikes (my TriRig Omni and his Ceepo Shadow R) to the meeting!

The 4:30 am wake-up hit me like a bag of bricks the morning of the race with the time difference, but by the time I arrived to the race site I was ready to kill it! Just as I was about to get to the water for my swim warm up was when the announcement was made that the swim was being cancelled. This didn't surprise me much with the current rough water conditions and forecasts for only increasing wind and rain. I headed back to my bike and soon drew my starting number for the upcoming bike time trial start.

I drew 20 for my starting position with Pro athletes being separated by 45 seconds each. I thought this was super fair and was glad that this would help prevent any "group" riding on the bike. Though a number guys were still attempting to talk "strategy" while on the start line. My time eventually came being one of the last athletes to start. The main upside of this being that every athlete I passed on the road I would already technically be ahead of.

My goal for the ride was to ride smart and hard without getting too obsessed with the numbers. The majority of the beginning sections were assisted by some stronger tailwinds. The first athlete I caught was Michael Hoffman around mile 15 of the ride and just kept it steady as I came by. Next up I approached Ben Deal around mile 25 which I was pretty pleased with. We both knew that we would be somewhat close in abilities, so being 1:30 ahead already was a good sign! I knew he would be motivated to not let me get up the road, so I put in my biggest surge of the day to solidify the pass and create a gap. By this time the tailwind was gone and a solid rain was starting to develop. I soon then saw Alex Vanderlinden, who had only started 45 seconds ahead of me. I was slow to reel him in, and by the time I came around him, I was not able to shake him. I had some hard pushes but he was able to hang for a solid few miles at probably 25 meters back. Just as I put in one more solid, steady effort, he popped and was suddenly much further back!
 By that point it was pretty much a steady headwind most of the way in. I spotted Elliot Bach just up the road a bit but decided to not go crazy attempting to make a pass in the final couple miles. In the final slight downhill, I decided to let my bladder loose to prepare for the run. Unfortunately, between the rain and my now urine soaked shoe, I had difficulty undoing the boa on my right shoe. Meaning that I was unable to get my foot out for a flying dismount and ended up very awkwardly running into transition with one bike shoe still on. I was able to remedy this once I got to my rack and headed out with the goal to slowly build into the beginning of the run.

For the data geeks: http://tpks.ws/...5K4PXF5UPMVF7OJKQROE

Starting out.
I'll preface my run by saying that I had no real idea how things would go. I have been running more and staying more consistent than I ever have. But I also haven't ran a mile under 6 minute pace since Oceanside in early April! I held myself back a bit and tried to stay steady and smart in the opening miles. I soon realized that there were a number of athletes just up the road from me, and I was steadily gaining on them. I had no idea what place I was in at the time, but ran knowing that my best shot was executing a perfectly paced run and fueling well along the way. I stopped to walk nearly every aid station but otherwise just kept clicking off miles in the 5:40's. 
As I began heading back on the second half into town the rain and headwinds were back and I began passing the spots that I had broken down just 2 years prior. But nothing was stopping me this time. I slowly kept cranking up the effort and refused to let anything slow down the pace. The final miles had many tempting moments to back off but the fear of losing by only a couple seconds kept me running scared. The wind got particularly stronger in the final mile approaching the coast again but I was still able to increase the pace and finally came into the finish completely spent.

Run file: http://tpks.ws/...XMHRVSQXX2QY32XMY2ZA

I took a minute to regroup, but then went about trying to figure out how I finished. Nobody seemed to have the results and I had about given up on finding out. Until one of the officials was getting the athletes for the podium celebration and said "Joe first, Cody second, Adam third." It took me a second to remember that there were no other Adam's there and to wrap my head around the fact. I knew I came into the race well prepared. I knew that I executed to near perfection. But I simply couldn't process it at first. Something that I knew was possible and within my reach had finally materialized and become reality, and I was ecstatic!

Immediately after grabbing my bottle of Champagne, I realized I had no idea how to appropriately pop the top and definitely lost the ensuing Champagne battle. After the podium pic to follow, I spent the rest of the day on a high. I spent a lot of time with Justin Park who had unfortunately had issues with his heart condition during the race causing him not to perform to his potential. I gleaned a lot of wisdom and advice from him and his many years in the sport as well as making a great new friend.

2 spots to go.
Immediately, this result doesn't change much of anything for me except my mindset. I will still be going to work full time, and I will still be doing my best every day in all the tasks that I set out for myself. But it certainly gives me confidence in my future performances, and particularly for IRONMAN Cork in less than 2 weeks. The competition will as always be stiff there as well with a number of notable names on the start list. But I'm more excited than ever to see what my best executed performance will bring me on the day!

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Posting with the encouragement of new friend Ben Deal! A really solid race for me and gives me hope for the future for sure. Next up is facing down Brownlee in Ireland!

TLDR version: cancelled swim and tt bike start, 2:03:53 bike on 296 watts NP, a botched transition, and closing with a 1:15:36 run for a 6 second margin over Andrew Yoder.

Full version
https://feighathlon.com/.../11/eagleman-70-3-2/

Note: I get no benefit from your clicks. I’m not that savvy yet.

Congrats! 6 sec margin... would have loved to been there to watch that homestretch run to the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on that run split I thought the course was short. I was wrong. lol

Great job Adam. Go kick butt in Ireland.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither of us had any idea because of the time trial start. It would have been INTENSE had we started at the same time and come together in the chute though. Especially with how crazy the wind was getting.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, hopefully will see some more good results now that you are in the company of Gambles & Beals on the podium!

Having a time trial start seems less than ideal for a pro race though. Surely they should have replaced the swim with something like a 2km run, so that everyone started at the same time and knew what place they were coming.

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Great work, hopefully will see some more good results now that you are in the company of Gambles & Beals on the podium!

Having a time trial start seems less than ideal for a pro race though. Surely they should have replaced the swim with something like a 2km run, so that everyone started at the same time and knew what place they were coming.

The only issue with that is the amount of separation probably would have made it with 25 guys starting the bike within a minute of each other. Thus making it “semi” draft legal which is really frustrating. Even if the extra running would have benefitted me.

Having it be a more true time trial was nice but not knowing is killer and not particularly spectator friendly. Also, the later starters may have had slightly different weather conditions than those starting 15 minutes earlier, though likely not much.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are they still the coolest trophy on the circuit? Post a pic......

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
Are they still the coolest trophy on the circuit? Post a pic......

Can’t say it was anything special. Just the same triangle things that they used for AG awards too. I’ve heard Lake Placid has some interesting awards though, so I’ll just have to do well there too.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Especially with how crazy the wind was getting.

Ha! Tell me about it! I started late ...... bib 2000+ was a battle with the wind out there!

Congrats Adam!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

They used to have really cool trophies, shame they went the same way as all the other 70.3's. Anyway, congrats on your result, great write up too I enjoyed reading it.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work and congrats!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my best trophies have come from either 5k’s or Sprint tri’s! I suppose I’d rather have the prize money anyways, but it’s not like prize purses are going up anytime soon.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to tell you in person, but super congrats man. Wish I could have stuck around and chatted more before heading back to NYC.

What was your biggest breakthrough this year that led to such a year over year improvement? Was there any big focal point in training or is it just the years of consistency paying off?

And if you are coming through NYC on your way to Placid definitely let me know! I think a congratulatory dinner would still be in order by then.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and thanks so much for sharing data files! love the data transparency!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where would you rank this with that time you won free Chik-fil-a for a year? :D
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Got to tell you in person, but super congrats man. Wish I could have stuck around and chatted more before heading back to NYC.

What was your biggest breakthrough this year that led to such a year over year improvement? Was there any big focal point in training or is it just the years of consistency paying off?

And if you are coming through NYC on your way to Placid definitely let me know! I think a congratulatory dinner would still be in order by then.

Consistency over the years as well as consistency over the past couple months. Something has seemed to always pop up in the past year that would prevent me from performing as well as I should be able to. I’ve particularly gotten way more colds (and less sleep) in the past year since the birth of Charleigh (our 1 year old). I seem to have hit a good groove since our move to Grand Junction though. Being able to balance training and recovery without feeling burnt out.

I’ll keep you updated on the travel plans!

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Congrats and thanks so much for sharing data files! love the data transparency!

Sure! I’m hoping my competitors over analyze it and it gets into their heads ;) though really the execution of this race was about as boring and steady state as it gets. Which is likely why it went well

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 70.3 Race Report- First Pro Podium [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Where would you rank this with that time you won free Chik-fil-a for a year? :D

Cash=better than free Chik-fil-a!

Don’t actually eat much from there anyways. And the competition was a little more stout than that 5k. Though I certainly need more ways to save money on food.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your podium, Adam! You look great on the Omni, and we are really excited to be a small part of your success.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply