Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Big Papi got shot thread?
Quote | Reply
I was hoping someone here had the inside scoop as to who did this and why?
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea, but the DR seems to be a terrible place to vacation as of late.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shooter still at large where the guy driving the motorcycle got caught and beaten to a pulp. No attempted robbery where he was approached/shot from behind and then the shooter jumped on the waiting motorcycle. Ortiz has done a ton of charity work in the DR so I can't imagine why he would be targeted like that. He underwent another surgical procedure last night when he arrived here at MGH, his wife issued a statement about an hour or so ago saying that he is resting comfortably and asked for privacy.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird story floating around that it was a hit man from a drug lord that thought Papi was cheating on his girl. I hope that isn’t true Papi seems like a great family dad.

Looks like he’ll be ok but it was definitely sad to hear he got shot.
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
No idea, but the DR seems to be a terrible place to vacation as of late.

My thoughts exactly. Went the past 2 years - won't be going back any-time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Weird story floating around that it was a hit man from a drug lord that thought Papi was cheating on his girl. I hope that isn’t true. Papi seems like a great family dad.

Seeing the video, dude could've very easily put it in the back of Ortiz's head; why didn't he?

Hmmmmmm?

ETA: By "why didn't he?" I don't mean to imply I want David Ortiz killed [I don't hate the Red Sox or their alumni that bad!]

I'm just wondering out loud "If this was meant to be a fatal hit, the assassin did a very poor job. Perhaps it was only meant as a warning? A warning for what?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Triocd wrote:
Weird story floating around that it was a hit man from a drug lord that thought Papi was cheating on his girl. I hope that isn’t true. Papi seems like a great family dad.

Seeing the video, dude could've very easily put it in the back of Ortiz's head; why didn't he?

Hmmmmmm?

ETA: By "why didn't he?" I don't mean to imply I want David Ortiz killed [I don't hate the Red Sox or their alumni that bad!]

I'm just wondering out loud "If this was meant to be a fatal hit, the assassin did a very poor job. Perhaps it was only meant as a warning? A warning for what?"

I was wondering the same thing. For a hit man he sure is a lousy shot.
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
street cred is something your earn. the shooter is still working on his.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Eric Davis got injured in game 4 of the 1990 World Series, Reds owner Marge Schott bitched and complained about the cost of his medical flight back to Cincinnati. Compare that with the Red Sox sending a plane down to pick him up and bring him to Boston so their doctors can treat him.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Triocd wrote:

Hmmmmmm?

Speculation is the gun was kept low in an attempt to shoot quickly in a crowd then in the confusion skulk out of there for a getaway. And it almost worked, sounds like the motorcycle crashing is the only thing which allowed Ortiz's friends to catch one of the guys. That's pure speculation though, it's possible the shot was only meant to be a 'warning' from whoever wanted to send a message to Ortiz (if, in fact, it wasn't a shoot-to-kill situation).

Either way it's terribly sad, forgetting the baseball aspect if you listen to ex-teammates, broadcasters, journalists, people he's met in passing, people tied to his foundation, he's such a fun-loving, genuine, good-hearted person. He did a ton to bring camaraderie to the locker rooms he was in, and has raised a TON of money for various causes, including over a million a year for children who need heart surgeries. I'm just glad he's getting the treatment he needs and is out of the DR and whatever threat was there is almost definitely not an issue here. He'll get a heroes welcome whenever he's released from the hospital, people around here have been talking about this non-stop. I even bounced it off my buddies who are Yankees and Blue Jays fans and they've all said they hated what he did to their baseball teams but respected and liked him, he's one of those guys who no one in baseball, and almost no rival fans, really dislikes.
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second suspect arrested overnight in the DR.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how "Secure" DR jails are, but what are the chances either of these two suspects makes it to trail?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd heard that the motorcycle driver was an 'uber' type ride.
are there uber/lyft motorcycles in places???

if that's true that'd suck. you pick up your fare, who's just committed a crime against a national hero, then get the crap beat out of ya.
that dude's having a bad day. but...if it's true, any chance ortiz helps that dude out when he/they get out of the hospital?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: No Big Papi got shot thread? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard on radio today that the hit was because big papi was sleeping with a drug lords wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Not sure how "Secure" DR jails are, but what are the chances either of these two suspects makes it to trail?

Not sure but if they do make it to trail i'm sure he will provide them sanctuary.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply