Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulsa it is!!
Last edited by: s13tx: Jun 12, 19 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve spent some time in Tulsa for work. Nice people. Decent little city. Broadly speaking, it’s not a wealthy area, but there are a lot of super wealthy oil and gas types in the area. You can find good places to eat and stay for that reason.

With these four finalists, other than perhaps Memphis, they are destinations to which almost everyone needs to make connecting flights. Not a lot of people within simple driving range to these venues. Absent a race, few people would spend their leisure time in these locales. Contrast that with LP, MT, AZ, SR, Coz, etc., which are places you can get the whole family to happily join you.

As the F-1 illustrates, race fees matter a lot here. Good news is that as one race is lost, another is gained. Race options are good.
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overall good points. Lots of driving distance cities here
St Louis - 6hr
Kansas City - 4
Dallas - 4
Austin - 7?
Houston - 7-8?
Memphis - 6
Little Rock - 4
Heck Denver is 10? Nashville / Louisville / Indianapolis all 9-10 hours

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
They better sell alot of frozzen meat to support this race.

And offer free uber rides consiering the two transitions are 24 miles apart.

But we are all dumb enough to keep giving Wanda our money.

Many long course races (70.3 & 140.6) have 2 transitions. Ironman has this figured out. IM Raleigh 70.3 had 2 transitions roughly 24 miles apart & That was a fantastic race! Too bad the city didn't continue to cooperate.

Also, St George has 2 transitions many miles apart. And that is a popular race.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else think it is an odd choice of date/location in relation to IM Texas? I know they're a day's drive apart but I feel this splits the mid/upper Texas population. Perhaps Texas is on its way out since it no longer has champ status?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Anyone else think it is an odd choice of date/location in relation to IM Texas? I know they're a day's drive apart but I feel this splits the mid/upper Texas population. Perhaps Texas is on its way out since it no longer has champ status?

I thought it was real odd.... Dallas is only 4 hours away, but you would figure most of the DFW area has already signed up for IM TX.
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Is this an attempt to kill Redman?

My thought exactly.

I’m sure Ironman is really worried about a race that had 200 for the half and 60 for the full. Combined participants doesn’t equal one of the M35-54 age groups at a typical IM race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

Possibly moving to the 3 year rotation like St George?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
They better sell alot of frozzen meat to support this race.

And offer free uber rides consiering the two transitions are 24 miles apart.

But we are all dumb enough to keep giving Wanda our money.
Split transitions in triathlons have been working very well for 30 years.Just ask the 5,000'ish people racing in Cairns last weekend how it went...........and yes people will still happily pay up for race entries,T;shirts,coffee mugs and tattoos.
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24 miles is a stupid distance.

You are classifing 'many races' as 2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

I don’t think TX is going anywhere. The race sells out every year. Tulsa is not going to pull IMTX numbers. It’s logistically much more difficult to get to than Houston. You can get a direct flight to Houston from just about anywhere. That isn’t going to happen with Tulsa. Dallas and KC are each about four hours from Tulsa, St. Louis is six hours away. Other than that it’s not close driving distance to any major metro areas.

The timing is weird being a month apart.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [Brewbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brewbadger wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I thought it was real odd.... Dallas is only 4 hours away, but you would figure most of the DFW area has already signed up for IM TX.

Here's the problem with people in Dallas area. It's still cold and rain a lot, so we don't get enough training time for IMTX especially OWS.
We can have some good OWS and bike rides during May, so May 31 is perfect.
Redman is in September, so it's a different animal. I don't know about the full distance, but I've heard nothing but good things about Redman half distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
24 miles is a stupid distance.

You are classifing 'many races' as 2?

Off the top of my head, you can add in:

IM NC 70.3 (Formerly B2B)
IM Santa Rosa

Do you want me to do more research to prove my point?

Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONMAN Tulsa.

Yawn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have clearly never done many long non M-dot events,never done any races outside of the USA quite obviously have never seen an Ultraman..
Quote Reply
Re: New New North American IM Accounement on June 12th [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
IRONMAN Tulsa.

Yawn.

x2

Quote Reply

Prev Next