Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My uncle is in a hospice
Quote | Reply
But we don't know which one.

My mother's brother Stewart has known for at least half a year that his cancer is terminal. My mother and I were going to fly to the UK to visit him but had to delay because of my dad's health and then because she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

She found out today from her older brother that Stewart has gone into hospice but the older brother was confused and fuzzy on the details. He has a contact number for someone who likely knows what's going on but didn't know where it was and told Mum he'd try to dig it up tomorrow. So Mum is losing her mind with worry, and trying not to freak out at the older brother. Neither uncle is married or has kids, their closest relatives are my Mum, my sister and I over here in Canada so they don't have anyone else to care for them.

After a bit of Google-fu I think there are only three possibilities for where he could be, the benefits of him being in a small village I guess. I've already talked to someone at a 24 hour hospice help line for the area, she promised to have someone get back to me during their business hours. I should know tomorrow where he is, but it's just such a helpless feeling. And guilt that I should be over there to help, or at least say goodbye, but I need to be here for my parents.

This whole caring for elderly relative business is brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: My uncle is in a hospice [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in compensation (and I'm sure it's not, but) if he is in a hospice in a village, he is in caring, attentive hands. I'm so sorry for your situation, which has compounded by so many ill at the same time. It sounds like everyone is doing their best, which is all that is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in uk
Quote Reply
Re: My uncle is in a hospice [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Kiki.

I managed to track down people who know what’s going on. He has three friends looking out for him, which is very comforting to know. It turns out he’s not in a hospice yet, but in hospital waiting to get into one.
Quote Reply
Re: My uncle is in a hospice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I successfully tracked down people who know what’s going on - he’s in hospital in Norwich, waiting to get into a hospice in Ipswich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, its a nightmare

Mcmillan should be able to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twenty years ago my wife and I had similar circumstance when we went to visit her uncles. Two elderly brothers in Edinburugh one in hospital with cancer. Both life long bachelors. Willy the one not in hospital couldn't give us address of hospital but could give directions as we drove him over to visit his brother. They have good systems for end of life over there as far as I can tell he will be well taken care of.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should keep him in until such time as a hospice place becomes available

They will almost certainly be under pressure to free up beds

Someone have a power of attorney? They should be making decisions and approving any movements
Quote Reply
Re: My uncle is in a hospice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has designated a friend as next of kin. I don’t know if he’s arranged for power of attorney but he likely has done so. There is a group of three of his good friends helping out, which is good to know.
Quote Reply