Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Participation in trouble?
Quote | Reply
Following on another post regarding declining race participation and elimination of many local races, I looked at the USA Triathlon ranking website to get idea on the trends. It's not pretty.

If you look at race results/participation in the five year period between calendar year 2013 and CY 2018 for age groupers between ages 25-64, total triathlon participation dropped by 58%. More troubling, the drops in race participation are worse among younger age groups, lowest in the older age groups. For example, in the 25-29 age group, race participation declined 76% between CY2013 and CY2018. In the 30-34 AG it dropped 71%. In 35-39, down 65%. In the 60-64 AG, it was a drop of only 4%. It's a very clear trend with younger AGs (newest to the sport?) showing larger declines while the older age groups (longest tenure in the sport?) showing smaller declines as the the age increases.

The declines are not quite as bad for total ranked triathletes but still nasty. Ranked athletes in age groups between 25-44 all declined about 45% between CY2013-2018. 50-54 declined 18%, 55-59 actually increased 4% and the 60-64 AG increased in ranked athletes by 26%. If you've wondered why you can't win races as you get older, there's a clue...those older racers don't quit the sport...they just get older and continue to beat your ass.

This would certainly suggest Triathlon as a casual sport is in trouble. Younger age group athletes aren't joining the sport and are dropping out sooner. Maybe the big races continue to draw and the local sprints and Oly's are suffering the most? Hard to say, but I'm thinking when M-Dot goes public I should probably short the stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Participation in trouble? [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really surprising. LC tri is about as expensive and time consuming a hobby as it comes. When ppl in their 20s are dealing with managing student debt and trying to figure out how they'll ever afford a home, the prospect of $1000+ race weekends becomes pretty rediculous. And that's not even to speak of the high costs of bikes and wetsuits etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Participation in trouble? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the 25-35 demographic as that was where I was when I competed up to 3 years ago.

I stopped for a variety of reasons;
Cost for races
Time training

I can still get what I wanted with triathlon (challenge, goals, competition, etc) through many other areas within endurance sport. I now....
Cyclocross
Fat bike
Trail run
Olympic lift

I can get everything I wanted out of triathlon at a fraction of the cost of both time and money with all these other endeavors.

What I learned with triathlon as it wasn't specifically the sport I craved but what it provided and I could find that within other venues. I suspect this goes for many in my demographic as well.

I am sure I will do more triathlons in my life, but nothing in the foreseeable future other than to pop into some local sprints just for fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Participation in trouble? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gear cost plus race fees really do add up; I have a rough number in my head from this year already and it's not pretty. I have a bunch of local Olympics on my calendar and they are 110 a pop plus travel and sometimes a night motel stay. I'm young and single so I can manage but for most it's just out of the question. I know logistics are much different but it's amazing how cheap bike racing is in comparison. But you don't get all the frills that come with a triathlon event and I think these "frills" are what attracts your average person. Personally I don't care about the meals, t-shirts, socks, a billion prizes for a billion different race categories. But I'm sure a lot of 1 a year triathletes do

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Participation in trouble? [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an annual membership required for ranking?

We know that annual memberships aren't necessarily reflective of participation.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Participation in trouble? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an annual membership required for ranking?

We know that annual memberships aren't necessarily reflective of participation.

You are correct, for ranking. But anyone can race in a USA Triathlon race with just a one day membership. The numbers I pulled reflected both the one day member participation as well as the ranked member numbers. The one day member participation declines were worse, but even ranked members dropped by 45% or so.

Certainly USA Triathlon races are only one part of the full national race schedule. However, I would argue that the race totals from USA Triathlon provide a pretty good overall sample size of the broader national trend.
Quote Reply