Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews?
Quote | Reply
I've read a few high-profile reviews, but nothing from riders training on or competing on it. Just curious if anyone has anything to share about it. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also curious. Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
I've read a few high-profile reviews, but nothing from riders training on or competing on it. Just curious if anyone has anything to share about it. Thanks.

I wanted to give this a bump because I'm considering a bike purchase again. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the bike for past 2 seasons. I went from a CX bike with clip on aero bars to this bike in the 105 version.

The bike handles very well compared to a bike with clip on bars. Way more stable at speed and in the aero position. I am 6'3" and 170 lbs, I dont have any problems in the wind and I have 55 deep section wheels front and back. When out of the seat climbing the bike feels odd but I think that is how most TT bikes are due to their frame geometry.

Only did 1 Olympic tri since lake placid was canceled in 2020. Plenty of storage for a olympic and once I get to race this thing in a full I expect Ill have plenty of storage for the full distance.

Biggest thing about the bike I dont like is when you adjust your stem height, you have to pretty much rerun the brake cable that goes through the center of the stem. First time running internal cables and I was able to get it with a little patience. Easy bike to work on for everything else.

Any other specific questions let me know. I would recommend this bike and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly what you asked, but I've had a PRThree for a few years and have really liked it. My primary motivations when purchasing are a good price and quality. I bought mine on sale just after the PRFour was released, so at the time it was a price difference of $1k+ and I couldn't justify the increase. Mybikeshop.com has a few pr4 on sale now for a good price if they have your size. I bought from them and they had very good customer support.

The storage box on the back has been really nice. I store a flat kit in there. The stock ISM saddle has been awesome. A big upgrade from my last bike. My one complaint is that there is a hook underneath the saddle, which I think is for securing the bike to the transition rack. That lip makes it hard to fit behind the saddle storage. I haven't found a solution yet.

If I was to buy new this year, I would be looking between the Canyon 105 speedmax disc and the PRfour. If you are going to get new deep section race wheels along with the bike, that brings the PRFour into the range of the Canyon. The Canyon looks like it has bolts for easy behind the saddle storage along with the integrated front end if you are into that. I would lean towards the Canyon if going wheels + bike. I went with used wheels to save same cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [rutsackrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rutsackrun wrote:
Biggest thing about the bike I dont like is when you adjust your stem height, you have to pretty much rerun the brake cable that goes through the center of the stem. First time running internal cables and I was able to get it with a little patience. Easy bike to work on for everything else.

this is why i wrote about the formula speedlock. imagine if this bike came with this installed as original equipment ;-) this is not a QR issue. this is a bike industry issue. this is the case with oodles of bikes. this is the problem when lines - any lines, whether shift or brake, mechanical or hydraulic - run internally, and "internally" includes the stem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the PRFour Disc for the past two seasons. Main races in that time have been two 70.3s. I've been very happy with the bike. It's been comfy and simple enough for me to do some work.

Note that it does come with spacers for the aerobar height. So you can adjust that a bit without messing with the stem and cabling.

The rear storage is nice, although I found the built-in light pretty useless, and I have to pack it intelligently (tube on top) so that it doesn't pop open on big bumps.

Now that I'm gearing up for a full distance race, I switched the top tube storage for the longer version they offer. If that's in your future, maybe you can have them sub it out at purchase.

Also note that I believe USA triathlon members still get 10% off. My LBS was able to honor that, so that along paid for several years of USA triathlon membership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the responses! I've had my eye on this bike for some time, and I think it might be the most logical entry-level disc brake TT bike that I've found. One follow-up question on sizing though: I've received recommendations that seem to be obscenely small.....like two sizes smaller than for other TT manufacturers. I've posted the link to that response below. Has this been justified in your experience with the bike, and QR TT bikes in general? Thanks again!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=7063698#p7063698

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fitting expert, but Dan's review indicates that QRs are often a size smaller: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...o_s_PRFour_7147.html . I'm a little shorter than you at 178 cm, and I fit comfortably on a size 54 PR Four Disc. I'm not in a super aggressive position, but I've got a 5 mm spacer left under my stem, so I could go a smidge lower. My shop tried me on a size 56, and that put me at the limits of adjustment, where the 54 put me about the middle of adjustment range. I didn't try a 52. So from my limited experience, the suggestion that you take a 52 is surprising.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [Jepetto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was initially surprising to me too, but Dan's commentary appears to corroborate that. He's more than 2 inches taller than me and fits on a frame that's less than one inch taller.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented from QR at Age Group Nationals twice. I normally ride a 56 Cervelo. I'm 5'9". They set me up on a 52 QR. the 52 QR was the perfect size. Fantastic bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well maybe I should be on a 52, too! But I'm pretty happy so far. :-P
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [Jepetto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jepetto wrote:

I decided on a 52 because I didn't want to be constrained by the inability to drop the front end low enough. I'm probably going to look like a gorilla on a unicycle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Jepetto wrote:

I decided on a 52 because I didn't want to be constrained by the inability to drop the front end low enough. I'm probably going to look like a gorilla on a unicycle.

Looks like everything worked out for you. For others coming here looking for fit advice, let me refer you this thread...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Official_FIT_ASSISTANCE_for_the_Quintana_Roo_PR_Tri_Bikes_P7001408-9/?t=..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a QR PRFour Disc? Reviews? [tfizz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfizz wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Jepetto wrote:

Looks like everything worked out for you. For others coming here looking for fit advice, let me refer you this thread...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Official_FIT_ASSISTANCE_for_the_Quintana_Roo_PR_Tri_Bikes_P7001408-9/?t=..

I included that link in post #8. Having to do it again, I probably would have gone with the larger 54, and I like a really aggressive setup. The front end is PLENTY low, even for me, with two spacers. I don't have it completely set up yet, but even with a 130mm stem, my reach from saddle to arm cups is going to be constrained because I have the saddle pretty far forward. I think it will be fine, I'm just used to the fit of a 58cm frame. But I didn't exactly have the luxury of sitting on the bike first. So my recommendation to anyone reading this, which is mostly a no-brainer: try to do an in-person sit-on before buying. I'll write something of a review after I get a few miles on it.

Quote Reply