Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heavy, Sore, Numb Ankles
Quote | Reply
I started dealing with Achilles tendinitis (or tendonosis?) about two years ago. I finally took about six months off running and by the end of the break had no more pain when i pinched the back of my ankle. I started running again slowly and got to a point where i could run three days a week at about 6 ~ 10km per session. However, occasionally my ankles felt very heavy and sore. I took a few days off and this soreness went away. However, now, this soreness is coming back more often and lasting longer. I can still pinch the bottom of my Achilles tendon without pain but when i pinch higher up i feel some pain here and there. That pain is stopping me from running from a "i'm worried about aggravating my tendon" but the soreness and numbness is really making the thought of running impossible. I went on a 3k hike the other day and it was fairly .... uncomfortable. I don't want to say 'painful' because the pain is not acute.

Can anyone help? perhaps this is just the beginning of the tendinitis coming back...but this numbness/soreness in my feet is worrying me. Will the heal drops help this? Or perhaps i'm looking at something different here?

About me:
- 44 yrs old male
- cross train with lots of swimming and cycling
- normally sub 40m 10km time
- extremely tight calves and occasional shin splints
- thinking about changing shoes to the fat hokas thinking that may help

Thanks,

C
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy, Sore, Numb Ankles [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first off....go see a pt or sports chiro that knows running.

tendons like load so even if its sore its alright to load it. just nothing too much Judge that soreness the next day.

calf tightness and shin splints are a baaaaaaddd mix with how tight the compartments are inside the leg. get those calfs stretched and loosened up. do some PIR or PNF stretching.

shin splints could be hipflexor tightness, poor dorsiflexion, lack of foot intrinsic activation, shoe fitment issues or bad form.

these are a multitude of issues you can have....go see a professional that knows his stuff. Ask around your local tri shop or running store.

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply