Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel
Quote | Reply
I road the last 6k or so of my ride last night on gravel...with 23mm tires...early 2000's road race frame geometry...not set up 1x...AND...I didn't die...just thought all you kool-aid drinkers would want to know ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [Z.Andreski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fantastic!! gravel can be anything from hard pack dirt to baseball sized rocks. depending on pressure and what you were riding on it was probably fine....but people have tried this for quite sometime and either they buy a gravel bike or stay on the road.

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z.Andreski wrote:
I road the last 6k or so of my ride last night on gravel...with 23mm tires...early 2000's road race frame geometry...not set up 1x...AND...I didn't die...just thought all you kool-aid drinkers would want to know ;)

But did you have disc brakes?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Z.Andreski wrote:

But did you have disc brakes?

How could I have forgotten this important detail?

...with rims brakes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z.Andreski wrote:

Pssshh...let us know after you finish BWR on downtube shifter equipped mid-80s road bike like this: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6112402#p6112402

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I f****** love Kool-Aid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG Becky!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kool-aid has many flavors.....as does gravel. Those who just rode DK can chime in on whether a road bike would have survived the various flavors of gravel ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
Kool-aid has many flavors.....as does gravel. Those who just rode DK can chime in on whether a road bike would have survived the various flavors of gravel ;)

I haven't ridden DK but have ridden some gravel where 35mm tires have given me challenges on some sections of rides. But I don't know that I've ridden on flint like at DK that sounds like pretty much slices through everybody's tires. And looking at the photos I wouldn't be interested in riding on that gravel with 23mm tires. Your body would take an awful beating.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What some people deem gravel riding is just some hardpack with a few loose stones laying around.

Once you're on something that more closely resembles a person's rural driveway with 100% loose stone coverage......good luck with that. Or some longer sections of sand.

One thing I'm still not comfy with is sliding around corners. That rear tire starts coming around a bit and the ditch on the other side keeps inching closer.....my survival instinct says "forget ever bagging that segment".
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. gravel can be many different things. I've ridden places where the same ride you'll encounter regular hardpack, sand, loose gravel, mud, and if you're really unlikely larger gravel (more like rocks) that the road maintenance crew has decided to use on certain sections that have been particularly muddy and causing them issues. But that's part of what makes gravel riding fun. But that loose sand sucks a$$. I've definitely had to walk some of the bad sandy sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z.Andreski wrote:

I rode my first gravel race with 50 miles of gravel on a crit geometry bike and 23mm tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all honesty it was on a crushed limestone trail, so it was very firm and compact. The sound of the tires on the ground was pretty cool and it was awesome cruising on the narrow corridor of the rails to trails trail. The post was mostly in jest as you don't necessarily need to have 700x40 or 650b balloons or AXS or GXR to enjoy riding a road bike off pavement!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [seppo17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seppo17 wrote:
OMG Becky!
How does my butt look?

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z.Andreski wrote:

That’s just it- with disc brakes you could ride 7k, with gravel type tires, up to 10k, a full on gravel bike- unlimited miles. How do you not know this?

I’m glad you are ok! Phew... if you went for 7k, you would have been in big trouble!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wuss. I will see you, and raise.

I've ridden more gravel than that on my P5.
With disc cover and Jet 90, 23c GP4kS tires.

Which I now refer to as the new Cervelo prototype gravel TT bike - the G5.

I even bagged a Strava carriage road/gravel KOM on it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now attempt that after the gravel truck comes by and before the grader smoothes it out.

As others said gravel comes in all flavors. Here most gravel can be done on 23mm tires but every now and then for 50 yards you wish you had 2 inch tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very weird flex.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode DK. Im the guy in the Slowtwitch article sleeping at mile 120. I got to mile 151 and dropped. I was washing out with 40mm tires and 30 psi and you would have made it less than a mile on 23 mm road tires. Guaranteed
Quote Reply