Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plans Post-Oly
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Rather than including this in my weekly update, I thought I'd start a separate thread for my thoughts after my intermediate distance race this past weekend. I finished it, and it's amazing that I did, considering where I was just 6 months ago. It was a beautiful day in a beautiful place, and I got to do things I love doing. And I'm not even too tired or sore today. But I was slow as molasses, particularly and surprisingly on the bike, and I'm left wondering if it's a good idea to proceed with my plan to do Lake Placid 70.3, of all races, in September.

So here's a report: the swim went well. I started off going comfortably fast, but the front group was a little claustrophobic and competitive for me (lots of jostling for positions and people swimming straight over me and such), so I backed off and finished in the middle of my age group. I wanted to reserve energy anyway, so I didn't mind that.

SKipping to the run--I knew it would be slow and I went predictably like 13 or 14 minutes per mile. I had to walk a lot at the beginning because my legs were so stiff. It didn't feel like cramping, more like seizing up or tension. So, I'm not sure it was hydration-related, so much as lack-of-brick-workouts-related (which I only started doing a few weeks ago because I'm being careful about my knees). Not sure though? None of my brick workouts felt that bad.

On the bike, however, people were whizzing by me and I wasn't expecting it. I went from middle of the pack to 5-to-last in short order. The course had one giant hill. In all, I went about 13 miles per hour.

I finished 4th-to-last after one more person passed me on the run.

In all, the race went great. In January, I didn't own a bike and I couldn't run for 3 minutes without my knees hurting. But with that slow bike performance especially, I'm wondering if Lake Placid 70.3 might be too much for me. I'm proud of my accomplishments so far, and if setting LP as a goal was what's gotten me here, perhaps the motivation was worth spending the money on the LP registration and I can just focus on shorter distances for now. Being a slow runner seems a bit less consequential than a slow biker in triathlon generally, and LP in particular.

On the other hand, I've come so far in the last 3 months and I might continue to improve that much in the next 3 months, before the race. I'm typing all of this out because I'm so inexperienced with biking and running, and you all might have more of an understanding about how an enthusiastic, inexperienced person with a history of injury but not a lot of pain right now can improve. Also, I have a nice carbon bike and clipless pedals but there are a lot of things I haven't done. I have no aerobars, no aero helmet, the seatpost is too short and could be lengthened, and I haven't gotten a fit. I haven't been biking too much with more experienced folks, so I'm not sure if there are other technical or form fixes that might speed me up. I'm not convinced that a bunch of small changes, however, would have made a measurable alteration to yesterday's results. And I'm coming to the end of my ability to spend gobs of money on triathlon for the moment.

I'm probably just going to keep with the training plan and see what happens for now, but do you have any thoughts?

Also, someone was drafting behind me for a long time (like 7 miles) on the bike, until a long downhill part and he took off. That wasn't legal, but I didn't know what to do so I just kept going and ignored him. Is it part of the culture to say something, either to the drafter or to officials, if that happens? Do folks just mind themselves?

Also also, I tried my Orca trisuit out in a 25-miler before race day, but still, halfway through the race yesterday my arse started hurting and it interfered with my performance. Like I said, I don't know if I can afford to replace it, but does anyone have suggestions for a trisuit that allows for a comfier posterior? Maybe I just need to get more used to it? I have a Terry Butterfly Century seat, which is the most comfortable seat I've ever had, so I don't think it would help to go down the rabbit hole of talking seats.

Thanks, so much, to anyone who took the time to read all this. Sorry if it was long! Don't feel like you have to respond if you don't have time!

-GiantNewb

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Plans Post-Oly [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First things first, CONGRATULATIONS!

You've made an amazing amount of progress in a short time and should be exceptionally proud of yourself. I am glad you are taking time to reflect and celebrate your accomplishment.

Without knowing you, I can't tell you if it's a good or a bad idea to do your 70.3 in September -- I could be reading this wrong but if you're worried about the bike/run/race time cutoffs you have to weigh how hard that would be on you mentally. If you enjoy the training and the process, stick with it because that's 99% of the time between now and the start line. But if you'd be crushed to DNF, you might delay your first 70.3 till later when you feel more confident. I'm no expert, but the secret of triathlon seems to be consistent training, patience, and the ability to be steadfast in your goals but flexible in your methods. If you like your training plan, stick with it and enjoy the ride.

As for the other things, I think these are tweaks not major changes. Cramping could racing in weather you weren't used to or at an intensity you weren't ready for but it could also be your hydration and nutrition -- maybe you need salt, electrolytes, or an adjustment to your calories? Fuel took me a long time for me to figure out because I wasn't used to eating or drinking in races and I'm slow on the uptake. I spent a lot of time experimenting (Now, I race with Skratch Labs. It works great for me and I'd be happy to send you some or a discount so you can try it).

Don't fall into the swim, bike, run out of money trap of triathlon. Get bike fit and slather yourself in chamois cream before you try a new kit. You don't need aerobars or an aero helmet or any of that -- I rode a cyclocross bike for my first year of triathlon with a safe but goofy looking bike commuter helmet and no triathlon-specific clothes. YMMV but that worked for me.

Anyway, congratulation on a great accomplishment -- you're doing great! A lot of friendly people helped me out when I was a Giant Newb and I'd be happy to chat more specifically if you need an ear so don't hesitate to reach out.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As to the drafter, by all means, call him/her out! Tell them to get off your wheel if it happens again and stop cheating (that’s what I say and it works;-)

Your tri suit is not the problem as much as not enough time in the saddle at those distances. It will get better as you train longer, but EVERYONE hurts down South to some degree after hours of riding. Remember to stand occasionally to relieve pressure.

By all means, keep training for IMLP! Nobody ever got fitter by not training. So what if you’re DNF’d for being too slow; IMO, it beats not showing up at all to Hell 😉

Read my sig line and I wish you the best!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Plans Post-Oly [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! I don't think I'd be crushed to DNF--I keep telling people that I'm not sure I'm going to make it, but it's a lot of fun trying. So, thanks for your words here. You're confirming that I'll just stick to my plan and see what happens, and I'll probably at least start the dang race.

As for everything else, I'll take that advice. Re: nutrition, I've been experimenting and had consciously worked out a plan. To be honest, though, I got a little self conscious on the bike, feeling like I was eating too much or something. I didn't see other folks eating much, and I am still so new at this. I'll try to be more confident about it in the future. One thing is that it takes so long for the weather to warm up here in the snowy north, I'm not used to working hard in hot weather. I should probably be more conscious of electrolytes when it's hot (like yesterday).

A bike fit is a good idea, and I can make that work in the budget at some point. We have a great bike store in Geneva, NY, and lots of people are happy with their fit experiences there. Thanks for affirming that I don't need to spend much more money. And I'll call out drafters in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!

I'm headed to Lake Placid for the full in... Ugh, 47 days. I am also slow as molasses (my fastest oly is a 3:5X), and I climb like a sack of mashed potatoes. But I want to hit the start line and get as far as I can. That's an OK way to approach it! I also live in the frozen north (Maine), so I share that concern of heat being a factor and how to best deal with it.

I think you should treat LP 70.3 like it's on the cards and go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Plans Post-Oly [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME Thanks for your thoughts. I sure am having fun and I'll just keep on having fun. And enjoy the full! as far as you get at least!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re eating on the bike: I kept wondering why I would totally die on HIM runs and then I realised that I was so under-fueled that it was pretty much inevitable. One of my process goals for my Oly this weekend is to practice eating. And eating. And then eating some more. I've switched to Skratch bars this year and I'm hoping I get less flavour fatigue.

As for the rest of it, you've got some great advice already. Just try your best to stay consistent over the next few months and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you've made a ton of progress and you will keep getting faster. If you think you'll have fun at the LP race, do it. You might also look into what the refund or deferral possibilities are while you're exploring options.

Regarding none of your bricks feeling as hard as the run --- you'd also swum before, so you were hitting the run with swimming + bike and THEN run. I also wonder if it were nutrition related; did you have any gels or anything on the bike? That makes a difference if you're out there awhile.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Plans Post-Oly [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC. I did buy insurance when I registered, so if there's a medical reason for me to cancel, I can get most of my money back. I think the deferral program is only for full IM's, but I do have my eye on some later races (maybe La Quinta or Oceanside next year) if LP doesn't work out.

As for the race, I'm a week out now, and I can see that a few factors might have played a roll. Basically, they all amount to the fact that speed/power on the bike has been a hole in my preparations:

1) It was hot and I had a nutrition plan, but didn't follow it because I felt self-conscious. Specifically, I didn't drink as much as I had worked out to be best in my training at lower temperatures.

2) I have been worried about running, but because I know I can handle distance on a bike, I wasn't focusing on biking so much. Now I know I need to work on the bike too.

3) I had been thinking about Matt Fitzgerald and low heart rate approaches to training, which helped me feel great when biking long distances, but again, I wasn't focusing on speed on the bike.

4) All my higher intensity bike sessions, which weren't often enough, were happening inside on the spin bikes at my gym, not on my road bike, because I felt like I could control the situation more.

So, I think that I can get better on track just by thinking a bit more about speed and higher intensities on the bike. I took a week and pushed myself in that way. I cut all swim sessions but one, and trained on the bike every day but my official rest day. All of those included some conscious speed time. I'm going to continue to drop to about 2 swim sessions per week and add at least 1 threshold bike session.

Anyway, thanks everyone. This is really fun and I might have not had the result I wanted last week, but I'm still just having a blast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late to the party - but congrats on the race!!

I think you should keep plugging away at the training, and make a decision closer to the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you did great, made it through, and if you continue to be relatively consistent with your training- tailoring it to consider your knees and put some focus on some speedwork/threshold work on the bike as you mentioned, that you will feel better further through the summer. You mentioned you have the race insurance, so you should give yourself the compassion and the space and know that even if you WERE to make the decision to cancel based on a medical issue (even if it presents minorly), you are facing minimal penalty. That way you can take a deep breath and focus on doing YOUR race. I had a non-athletic friend remind me to train my own training and complete my own race. I am NOT going to win, so I can only focus on winning my particular mini-goals. That will be victory- stay calm and steady on the swim, steady on the bike, run at a pace I know I can maintain. All my training has to be in the service of those goals. Some of those goals have a matching mantra for me--"slow is fast"- I will finish (and be so much more LIKELY to finish!!) if I take it reasonably. Reading your posts, your very reasoned and dedicated approach really resonates with me, and I am 1) rooting for you and 2) totally believe you will be able to complete and feel good about your 70.3. At the same time, I also totally respect that you will listen to what your bod is telling you and if you need to not do the race, it will be the right decision for you at the time. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone is drafting me, I simply stop pedalling.
Quote Reply