Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Locks?
Quote | Reply
After reading the thread about the stolen bikes at Herbalife, I started wondering what the best bike locks are. Don't have one, don't usually or ever really leave my bike anywhere I am too worried about, but am thinking it might be a good idea to pick one up for the rare occasions.

So what have you got?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Locks? [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U lock with a galvanized steel pipe T over the spot where the bar received the U. That way the crooks cannot put a lead pipe over the end where the key goes in and bend that and snap the lock. Heavy but it works. Put it in backpack.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not this one.

I think chains are probably better than U Locks, but nothing is going to deter a determined thief.

Here's the lockpickinglawyer picking the chain and lock he uses in under a minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Abus Bordo line is great. Super solid, hardened steel, but folds up much smaller than a U-lock. They can even do multiple locks for you with the same cylinder so that you don't have to have multiple keys for your bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Locks? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That lockpickinglawyer makes short work any lock and I haven't yet seen a bicycle lock that he would recommend!

I'd hat to admit it, but I bought an ottolock thinking that it could work for short coffee stops, only to regret my decision after the lockpickinglawyer showed how he could cut the lock with hand-held tins snips in one cut. Looks like the ottolock is about as good as zip-ties:(.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for U-Lock ... Kryptonite New York FTW. Cables & most chains are trivial for a determined thief.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Locks? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
The Abus Bordo line is great. Super solid, hardened steel, but folds up much smaller than a U-lock. They can even do multiple locks for you with the same cylinder so that you don't have to have multiple keys for your bikes.

Certainly a beefy lock, and it will probably make a casual thief move on to another bike. Takes him about 1:30 to break it with a nut splitter.
Last edited by: bufordt: Jun 11, 19 7:27
Quote Reply