Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FBR Premium Bike Rentals - Experience?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had experience using FBR Premium Bike Rentals for an Ironman race? I am considering using them for Ironman Frankfurt as I will be traveling with the family for a while after the race, and renting the bike through FBR is actually quite a bit cheaper than the TriBike Transport fees for this particular race. The rental bike is a Ventum One -- I fully understand the risks/challenges of racing on a different bike, but this is more of an experience race than a focus on premium performance, and I have a pretty good handle on my position to be able to replicate. Was hoping someone has used FBR for a race and could comment on the experience. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: FBR Premium Bike Rentals - Experience? [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, did you go ahead with this and how did it work out. I am in a similar position going into an event this year and am looking at FBR and the Ventum One as an option. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: FBR Premium Bike Rentals - Experience? [sportadz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not, they were actually sold out for the race by the time I got around to trying to pull the trigger on the reservation. Would still be interested in any personal experiences of others for future reference.
Quote Reply
Re: FBR Premium Bike Rentals - Experience? [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used them on 3 or 4 occasions in the past for group road bike rentals in France. They were very good.

I'd recommend and use again.

But do make sure you have a multi tool etc with you in case you need to make a few fit adjustments etc yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: FBR Premium Bike Rentals - Experience? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a PSA. My experiences with renting a bike for IM Cascais (Portugal) from FBR.

TL;DR: It not a scam, but I'll not do it again.

This year I didn't want to get into a hustle of bringing my own bike from US to EU and decided to rent one for the race. FBR had Ventum One for rent and I wanted to try it out. The bike was available and it was OK. Not the latest model, so no integrated flat kit storage, but FBR provided it with a saddle bag. It had 25mm tubules tires (nice) and a bit old aerobars (meh). The bike was properly indexed and oiled. I think chain was not 100% new, so the front derailer shifting was a bit slow, but overall just fine.

What I didn't expect was that the popularity of the service. There were probably 100-200 people renting bikes from FBR there and most of them weren't experienced mechanics. So they required a lot of help in adjusting the bike, selecting helmet, putting the bags, pumping tires, etc. I came to pick it up on Thursday around 4PM and waited more than an hour till 2 employees handled 5-6 customers before me. And I probably was very lucky, the line was much longer after I left. I think I could have made an appointment, but I'm not sure how. I tried to shoot an email a couple of days before, but it was ignored.

There was no possibility to return the bike after the end of the race, they closed at 7pm. Probably the 70.3 folks and the fastest 140.6 ones were able to do it at the same day, but I had to return it next morning (another line with mechanics checking if anything was damaged on the bike)

So overall this is not the level of service TriBike Transport provides. I understand, it's not the same thing, but overall TriBike understands their customers: crazy overstressed athletes trying to be efficient with every second of their lives. :)
Quote Reply