Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Minnesotans, Michiganers, and stinky cheese heads - looking for suggestions. [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
So how was the trip? Where did you go/what did you do? Hope we didn’t lead you too far astray.

Thanks for the follow up. The trip was great. We got home late last night. I was gone for two weeks before the trip, so I was gone for about 3 weeks total and was ready to get back home. Now that I'm here and the weather is hot and humid, I'm ready to go back. :)

We took a lot of advice about the places to see, and we weren't disappointed.

After spending two nights in Minneapolis and hunting fossils with Veganerd, we went to Taylors Falls. We explored the park and then went on the paddleboat cruise. My wife took a ton of photos before realizing that she had a setting wrong. But she got a photo of my best side with the boat in the background.

After that we went to Bayfield Wisconsin. I didn't realize it was so far from Duluth, but it was right next to the Apostle Islands so that worked out okay. We had an AirBnB place for two nights that had an amazing view of the harbor.

We went for a day drive along the North Shore. We stopped and got some cheese and smoked lake trout and salmon. We then stopped at Betty's Pies and got some pie. We drove up to Grand Marais and stopped at a beautiful rocky beach. We planned to stop at Lou's to get some more smoked fish, but they were closed by the time we made it back.

Here is a photo of me picking rocks on the beach.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Minnesotans, Michiganers, and stinky cheese heads - looking for suggestions. [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The second day in Bayfield we went on the Apostle Islands cruise. It was freezing, but we enjoyed ourselves. I had expected some cool nights in Omaha, so I brought some light jackets. We needed heavier stuff for the cruise.

This is a photo of one of the lighthouses and the sea caves.

My wife took a ton of photos of old barns along the entire trip. None of those photos had me in them, so I'm not posting them. :)

We spent the next night in Escanaba MI and then drove to Pictured Rocks and did the cruise. We bought sweatshirts, gloves and knit hats before the trip so we were quite a bit warmer on this one. It was a little foggy, but we could see the shoreline.

Actually the fog only moved in on the return leg, so it we were able to see everything. In fact, the fog made for a photo of the lighthouse. This was our favorite cruise of the three that we did.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Minnesotans, Michiganers, and stinky cheese heads - looking for suggestions. [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After Pictured Rocks we spent a night in Traverse City. We took the scenic drive to Leelanau State park where I searched for Petoskey Stones.

After that we went to Sleeping Bear Dunes. It was well worth the $25 fee to take the drive and see the dunes.

We then went to Empire Beach and looked for Petoskey stones. I didn't find any but we picked up lots of rocks to bring back home. Hey, don't mock me. We live in Florida and see lots of people taking beach sand and sea shells back to Michigan.

I've since watched a couple of youtube videos of people looking for and finding Petoskey stones, so next time I think I might do a little better.

Those were some of the highlights of our trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you will probably notice, we followed a lot of the advice given by people on the forum. We probably wouldn't have known what to do without the great suggestions - so my wife and I thank everyone who offered advice. While we weren't able to spend a lot of time in one place, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

We intend to go back. I really like your suggestion of paddling the Boundary Waters. We're discussing doing a 2-3 day trip in the early fall, with extra time allowed so we can explore the area more. This time we'll be better prepared for the weather.

The area around the Great Lakes is absolutely beautiful. I honestly didn't know that it was so scenic. We will go back to the area soon if we can work it out.

Oh. I also wanted to explain the photos. I joke with my kids that if I smile for photos I look like a clown, and if I don't smile I look like a serial killer. So since I don't do selfies, I decided to do "assies". My wife took the ass photo of me looking for fossils and after seeing it I told her that I was going to post it and other "assie" photos. We laughed about it and tried to find ways to get one every now and then.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jun 22, 19 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

The area around the Great Lakes is absolutely beautiful. I honestly didn't know that it was so scenic. We will go back to the area soon if we can work it out.

Shhhhh please don't tell to many people.. really there just some small little lakes,

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Minnesotans, Michiganers, and stinky cheese heads - looking for suggestions. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Shhhhh please don't tell to many people.. really there just some small little lakes,

My wife and I have talked about selling our house and downsizing. We would then spend summers in more desirable locations across the country since it doesn't matter where I am with my software business. MI, MN and WI are now on our list of places to spend a summer.

I bet it would be stunning in the fall when the leaves are changing too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

My wife and I have talked about selling our house and downsizing. We would then spend summers in more desirable locations across the country since it doesn't matter where I am with my software business. MI, MN and WI are now on our list of places to spend a summer.

I bet it would be stunning in the fall when the leaves are changing too.

NO its not at all https://www.google.com/...biw=1920&bih=943

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must have checked back right after your first response post. You had a busy trip. Having a degree in mining engineering and a “undeclared” minor in geology, the assies are a common view of me.

The north country is like a good fishing spot, don’t spill the beans man.

There is so much ground to cover up here and some how it never gets old.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Minnesotans, Michiganers, and stinky cheese heads - looking for suggestions. [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was busy, but it was great. Usually when we go on trips like this we spend a couple of days in one area and then move to another that we want to see. It is a great way to see a lot of places, but not so great at really enjoying one place - and it is a bit tiring having to pack up after a day or two and drive to another location.

I can't remember if I mentioned it above, but we're talking about taking the kids (young adults) on a boundary water trip. My wife doesn't really want to do that, so we'd probably book a place for a week and let her stay there while we went on the canoe trip. Then, we'd have a place to come back to for rest before we continued exploring the area.

I definitely appreciate all the advice people gave. There is no way we would have known to explore and enjoy the areas without that advice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next