Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet Recommendations (Aero...ish)
Quote | Reply
I know this is a topic that comes up frequently and gets beaten to death and then cycles back up, but wanted to bring it up again helmets.

I'm looking for an Aero...ish helmet. Something for an IM or Half IM.

My priorities are roughly:
  1. Ventilation
  2. Weight
  3. Aero
  4. Price
  5. Looks

Using this I had the Giro Air Attack, but couldn't stand it, it didn't quite fit right, the visor fogged and wasn't great on my giant nose, after it rubbed for 2 hours during a windy race, it had to go. I got rid of that a little while back and just did my last 70.3 with my favorite road helmet, my Catlike Whisper. I've been looking for a while and right now 3 seem to jump out:

• Giro Aerohead (but its heavy on the neck for the full)
  • Rudy Project Boost 01 (its not super aero, but seems good at everything. I just haven't seen it in action or heard any buzz...)
  • Kask Protone (doesnt seem super aero and feels a little flimsy at the touch)

Any thoughts, advice, scoldings?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Recommendations (Aero...ish) [Foolless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you say, been discussed lots, and there isn't a 100% answer.

Personally p-09 works fine for me and I'd not look at changing. Used in both hot (32degrees+ and cool) without issue. Comfy. Flip visor works well, albeit you get some air flow around the edges so if you've sensitive eyes then you can end up with dry eyes after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PO9 here also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an oly tri today with a new SLS3 aero helmet. I like it. Its as light as my Air Attack, matches my bike (red), and has better airflow. I hated the face shield at first, as it hit my big nose, and even my cheeks. But, I was able to use a heavy duty kitchen scissors, to trim about an inch off the bottom of the shield, and shape it exactly how I wanted it.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Recommendations (Aero...ish) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any issue with visor on nose action?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How worried are you about the weight of the aerohead? That is what I use and love it. I have yet to get more than 130km done in it but have not noticed its weight at all (I know others have mentioned it). I am a bigger guy so maybe not as relevant. Surely just doing your long rides in it will help strengthen those muscles anyway so it is not an issue?
I use the Giro Vanquish as well and if I am really worried about ventilation for only a slight aero penalty, then the new Evade is pretty slick.
Edit: PS-hate the boost. Brought one and sits here never being used, does not suit my head shape, when they go on sale for ridiculous prices you have to wonder if the market is speaking....
Last edited by: Amnesia: Jun 9, 19 22:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foolless wrote:
Any issue with visor on nose action?

No, but I have a nose that if I'd been born a few centuries ago would mean I would be preserved in countless sculptures by Da Vinci as the perfect example of human form.

Ok, that's complete crap, but what you are asking is so variable between individuals as it's based on the head circumfrerence and shape (height) that defines where the 'brow' sits relative to your eyebrows, and then the shape/height/width of nose.

I use a small size p-09 and it fits a little smaller than the specialized and giros I've had before (in small). I never got to try the size up on but I suspect I'd still return to the one I've got, albeit reassured that I am in the right size. It possibly sits a little higher than I would like but still is comfy, not too tight on ears and isn't an issue getting on or off as the flaps expand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might add POC Cerebel to your list. I like mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Bontrager Ballista, it's an aero road helmet but it tests, weill, looks sharp, and you see a lot of athletes using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foolless wrote:
  • Kask Protone (doesnt seem super aero and feels a little flimsy at the touch)

Any thoughts, advice, scoldings?

Maybe I got a lemon, but I have not been pleased with the Kask Protone MIPs. I got it last year for general training and in support of the LBS I spent a premium (did not shop around or buy online). It looks good and sits nicely compared to the Bontrager Ballista MIPs that I bought, which sits up high and looks odd. It is well ventilated and light. However, after just a week or so the plastic MIPS lining started coming apart. I would fix it because some of the plastic bits are snap together so was able to get it put back together and it would come apart again. I also have a shaved head and wear a skull cap and yet there were still some annoying sharp plastic edges that I would feel and during training my attention would be diverted from training to how annoying it felt.

So while it looks good and sits lower on my head than the Ballista the one I got was and is a piece of crap. Even though the Protone still looks brand new, I just got a Bell Z20 MIPS online for a good price as a replacement for training. I have not used it yet, but it feels really good even without a skull cap and it feels like better quality. That is not an endorsement for you since I bought this for training and not so much for being super aero. Just wanted to say I did not have a good experience with Kask. Maybe others have.

I wish the Ballista looked better on my head, but it kind of looks ridiculous on me. Like I have a small pillow or something under the helmet. Other than that it is good quality and feels good even on very hot days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure I don’t have a Vanquish...

With that said from what I can tell the Giro Vanquish is boss. It’s ALMOST as aero as the very fast Aerohead, and much more comfortable. Assuming the data is accurate from Giro it should be faster than the previous generation of full aero. IMHO soon aero helmets will be much more of a pro only deal. If anything happened to my current helmets (Giro A2, Giro Synth) I’d be replacing them when a vanquish.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I settled on the Giro Vanquish MIPS. All my racing is in high temps and humidity and I have no ventilation issues. The visor works perfectly, doesn't fog. I have it adjusted so that when I look down to my Garmin I'm not looking through the visor but my field of vision to the road ahead is. I also like the magnetic holders and the ease of cleaning.

As for aero, I'm assuming that it's faster than the duct taped road helmet I started with.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply