Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1 dead, 1 rescue at Madison 70.3 today [lcreswell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry, thank you very much for the blog link, very useful and confirmed my opinion about pre-competition health screening.
It touched a subject that puzzled me since I came to USA in 2009 and started to do triathlon. How is it possible that a competitive (or even non competitive) sport certificate is not required for doing endurance sport like triathlon like in other countries? In specific the importance of the ECG at rest and under stress. Well I may have a theory why it is not required but this is another subject. In my opinion one of the first step to reduce these fatalities is to start to require it for everybody.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 dead, 1 rescue at Madison 70.3 today [marcori] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok thanks F you all!!!! Not really, I was blissfully going about my day and saw this. Im doing my second tri ever a week from Sunday (IMMT 70.3) , 1st one was last year IMLP 70.3. Im late 40s, male right in the target zone and been swimming for 2 years. OWS definitely freaks me out a bit. I just did about 2,100 yds this morning in the lake and felt half decent after 2 horrible swims last week. I could feel my heart start to race just reading this thread (and did I stop nooooo). Im definitely a BOP'er just under 2HR 1/2 marathon time, 240W FTP and 2:00/100 yd swimmer. By the way heart disease in the family but Ive had full screenings including an fMRI and all looks good!

And Im now freaking out........deep breaths and take it slow I guess :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1 dead, 1 rescue at Madison 70.3 today [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a good swimmer, usually top five in my AG in IM distance races. I went for an ocean swim yesterday and I found myself in a panic, the suit was just to tight, but what I really noticed is how tight the neck was. I am in good health, but someone with artery issues or an underlying heart issue I think the tight neck could be problematic. As for the warm up allot of races don't allow a warm-up swim before the start of the race...
Quote Reply
Re: 1 dead, 1 rescue at Madison 70.3 today [jchriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did IMMT 70.3 on June 23rd and yes, I had a mini panic attack almost right off the get go. For me I think as was just mentioned above sitting on the beach for like 1/2 hr barely moving, being somewhat anxious, gong from "0 to 60" and the water being about 63 degrees I got his overwhelming feeling of "you cant do this, stop and find a kayak" but I kept reminding my self I can do this and I eventually settled into a rhythm and did fine but I was not fun at first at all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same experience in Boulder last month. I was wearing a HUUB wetsuit and they have to be zipped up by someone else because of the zipper design. Some helpful volunteer zipped me up but probably a bit too tight, especially around the neck. After standing in line for like 30 mins I got into the water and boom - an instant panic attack, for the 1st time ever actually. I was fine, but had to bubble up and down for a little bit until I got my shit together. A kayaker had spotted me but not for some 30-45 seconds or so.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine before my first 70.3 in Lake Michigan in fairly rough waters (not horrible...but far from glass) gave me a piece of advice that I remember before each and every OWS. "Start out slow..and when you think you're going slow, slow down some more." Couple years ago doing Chatty 70.3, which is the easiest swim out there given that they took the upriver part out, no warm up, and in the anticipation of my world record swim, within 400 yards I had to stop as my heart was just racing. Stopped 3 more times during that race as once it goes nuts, it's difficult to bring it back down and I felt like I was about to hyperventilate. It's the one race where I failed to remember the slow...and slower advice and I'd like to think I'll never forget it again.. Usually it doesn't take that long to get things under control, but mentally knowing that you're not going to be the first one out of the water helps set the expectation that you're swimming just as a means of getting to your bike! :-) Takes some pressure off of yourself and helps allow yourself to relax. Within 100 yards of the swim you're feeling good and away you can go with your typical race pace. That first 100 yards being 10 seconds slower then your typical time will not break your race. :-) But if I'm hyped up at the get go and I don't take the time to get that under control, it'll be a long swim... For context...I'm in the 45-49 Male AG and my 70.3 swim time is usually in that 35-37 minute range with my only full at 1:15. So not slow...but far from fast. And I do start in the correct wave based on those anticipated times. I'm not moving up or sandbagging. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being extremely comfortable in OW, I'm probably a 7-8, but there can be some turmoil underneath that calm outter demeanor...LOL
Quote Reply
Re: 1 dead, 1 rescue at Madison 70.3 today [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkd wrote:
within 400 yards I had to stop as my heart was just racing. Stopped 3 more times during that race as once it goes nuts, it's difficult to bring it back down and I felt like I was about to hyperventilate.

I used to be like this, but this is what I figured out. First, my wetsuit was too tight. There are different thickness and sizes, so definitely do some shopping, research, exchanges, rent and figure out what's the best for you. Xterra Vortex sleeveless and Bolt sleeved were my choice. I use one of them depending on water condition. Second is WARM UP. Put your wetsuit on early, do run and jumping jacks to bring your heart rate up. This is very critical, so take your time and do it. Don't slow down when you get your rhythm going after you hit the water. Stretch out more, glide and pull hard instead. No need to slow down. I've been doing OWS a lot lately and trying different things. Do OWS as much as you can and you will get more comfortable. I hated OWS, but I can't wait for it now. Good luck!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next