Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

If you were able to save enough in a 529 that it starts mattering that they have too much money in a 529, than your income probably is high enough that it’s going to be a bigger hit that the assets in the 529.

Also, playing games with the 529 rules trying to guess what they are going to be in 20 years is stupid and a waste of energy. It could all be included or none when it comes to financial aid. You just don’t know. What I do know is I get a non-taxable return for 18 years on top of a write off on state income tax. That is going to beat almost all other investment options besides pure dump luck everytime.

Also, based on our current income and what it will by probably be in 20 years, in the words of my dad “you’re screwed and won’t be getting financial aid anyways.”.

I had enough in 529s to cover somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of all college tuition, room, and board. The rest of their money is in UTMAs and they get what's left over when they turn 21, as that's the law in our state. I like the flexibility of the trust money as it's not as restricted as the 529 money, although it's more restricted than many people realize -- it's "their" money even before they hit majority age, you can't legally take it back or spend it on things for yourself.

Correct, I’ve seen people want to pull out the money because it’s going to be a lot they give to their kid at 21(generally). But it’s not the custodians money so they can’t.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
You’re correct, the custodian and beneficiary can be the same people if they are over true age of majority or can sign.

Now I looked it up and I’m actually kinda surprised but it makes sense and I would never put it in their grandparents name. They have to be the custodian, that is considered the owner of the account. It makes sense because a parent then can’t just keep changing beneficiaries to have it not count.

Not sure what you mean by count, I have 3 529's each has one kid as the beneficiary. When I do FAFSA the sum total of all 3 gets reported as an Asset. I can and have been moving money from the third kids account to pay the 2nd kids tuition as i am using the 529 to pay tuition before I take out a new mortgage. I could just reassign the beneficiary but i was doing it in chunks not all at once.

Grant.Reuter wrote:
So you would have to give the grandparent full control over the money. So if they don’t want to do a withdrawal, or are sick and can’t you're screwed. If they want to invest in something completely different than what makes sense, you're screwed again. You’ve given them full control over the account.

Well I would guess it would depend on relationships, I am fairly sure my Dad would have had no problem creating the account then giving me the username and password, and I would manage it from there. But yes you have to have a good relationship. In hindsite, this would have been easy to do and 1 they would have no clue how much was in there cause they would not look but also If I wanted I could change the password. Now illness and death would get interesting, not sure in death what happens to a 529.

Onto changing beneficiary ==
Uhm no if you funded the 529 with your own money and your kid is the beneficiary you can change the beneficiary to yourself and remove it.

https://wsrp.com/...29-plan-withdrawals/

Example: Dave has a falling out with his daughter, who decides not to go to college. Dave liquidates her 529 account, which he funded with his own money, and uses the withdrawal to buy an expensive new car for himself. Assume the 529 withdrawal includes $8,000 of earnings. Dave must report the $8,000 as miscellaneous income on his Form 1040. In addition, he will be socked with the 10 percent penalty tax on the $8,000.

Interesting according to this article if the owner of the 529 is a dependent student the asset is reported as a parent asset. https://www.savingforcollege.com/...rent-owned-529-plans

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count I mean exactly what you’re saying. It counts on the fasfa based on who the custodian is, if it counted as the beneficiary you could move out of one who does need aid into the one that doesn’t need aid, so it looks like the one who does need aid has less value overall. They made it based on the parent so you can’t do that. It counts all accounts the parents own.

I trust my dad too, but that doesn’t mean most people would be willing to give up that ownership. Especially if their parents are older.

3rd point, if you change custodian to your dad, YOU cannot change anything anymore legally. They are now legally the custodian, it doesn’t matter who put the money in. They are the custodian now they are allowed to change the beneficiary to whomever the rules allow, which may not be your kid anymore. I’m not saying you aren’t allowed to change the beneficiary if you’re still the custodian, I know you can do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, well now we can try to clear up this mess.

There are 2 different types of 529 plans Individual and Custodial (explains why I have been using the term owner, and you guys Custodians)

https://finance.zacks.com/...-529-plan-11363.html

Two types of 529 plans - individual and custodial - meet the same savings goals, but they have some different characteristics. One notable difference is that the account owner in an individual plan remains the account owner. But in a custodial plan, the account owner (designated as the custodian) manages the account until the beneficiary (a minor child) reaches the age of majority. At this time, the beneficiary becomes the account owner.

My kids have individual 529's and I am the owner of them. I will setup individual 529's for my grandkids and I will be the owner, but most likely relinquish day to day operations to my kids for those accounts.

Interesting part of Custodial 529's from same webpage above -- Once your child is of age, the money in a custodial account can be withdrawn for any purpose without penalty.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Almost no one opens up a 529 in their own name. You’re the custodian but the child is the beneficiary. It’s irrelevant anyways. I can change the beneficiary or custodian on it in about 15 mins if it was going to make a difference. My point is, yes it’s easy to say having under a grandparent right now is the correct way today, but that could change it 20 years. So don’t worry about it and fix it when you have a better idea what the tax rules are going to be.

That said, if you have 100k in a 529 i don’t feel like you need financial aid. Are you technically cheating by playing games and moving the money under a grandparent, no. But you are taking money away from someone who actually deserves/needs it. I think that is pretty crappy example to set for your kids. You’re just gaming the system. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

But like I said the majority of people that have saved that much are going to have a pretty high income anyways, so they aren’t going to get much aide in the first place. If you only saved for kids college than sure it’s gonna make a difference, but if you have your own savings, investments and are a higher income you’re probably going to get jack-squat or close to it. If you have 100k saved in a 529 and don’t have some major investments for yourself you’ve done yourself a major disservice over that time.

Not sure of the age of your kids, I have 2 in college 1 in HS. 529 was about $70 my oldest got a full tuition scholarship on merit, 2nd daughter gets about $8500 in grants, and qualifies for subsidized loans.. If the $70k had been in her grandparents name thats $14k less we would have had available divided by 2 kids $7k more in grant money she would have been eligible for. As it is we are still spending about $25k a year on tuition room and board.

So while its fun to talk hypothetical and it doesn't matter etc... From someone who didn't know better and messed up (didn't know you could change ownership easily till this thread) it can make a significant difference ( since we use the 529 its value is dropping so $7k first year probably 3 or 4k second year) not much after so maybe $12k over the 4 yrs. Now would need to revisit the grandparent kid income thing and see how we could have worked it different the first 2 yrs. But still not a trivial sum of money, especially for a single income family.

NOPE SCREWED THAT UP, only 5.6% of parent assets are used for expected family contribution. So $70k thats $3640 split by the 2 so it only cost me $1820 the first year, and less each year after, probably $3000 overall. So still not chump change but not the $12k I stated above.

Wanted to get the numbers correct.

Some good info here https://www.savingforcollege.com/...r-529-account-script

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you’re confusing 529 and custodial account. You’ll get penalties for withdrawing from a 529 without using it for education. Custodial 529s aren’t custodial UTMA/UGMA. That said zacks does a pretty crappy job on using the same words for different things.

“Another frequently cited advantage of 529s is that they remain in the control of the custodian; once your child reaches 18 (or 21 in some states), if they decide to pull the money in a custodial account for a Bitcoin investment or to invest in penny stocks, there's nothing you can do about it.
In certain circumstances, however, that disadvantage could become an advantage. Once you've committed funds to a 529, it must be invested in your child's education; otherwise, if financial circumstances – or if your child just doesn't want to go to college – require a noneducational withdrawal, you'll not only have to pay taxes on it, you'll probably be subject to a 10 percent IRS penalty. Once your child is of age, the money in a custodial account can be withdrawn for any purpose without penalty.”
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [sea.bryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
taking advice from others, especially people who don't know you (e.g., a parent who happens to be at the park with their kid when you are with yours) generally does not result in better outcomes.

This place is kind of like a park... we seem to have a bit of a conundrum here :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
taking advice from others, especially people who don't know you (e.g., a parent who happens to be at the park with their kid when you are with yours) generally does not result in better outcomes.

This place is kind of like a park... we seem to have a bit of a conundrum here :-)

I find getting lots of viewpoints is good.

Then just go with the theory
Take the best, ignore the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
No you’re confusing 529 and custodial account. You’ll get penalties for withdrawing from a 529 without using it for education. Custodial 529s aren’t custodial UTMA/UGMA. That said zacks does a pretty crappy job on using the same words for different things.

“Another frequently cited advantage of 529s is that they remain in the control of the custodian; once your child reaches 18 (or 21 in some states), if they decide to pull the money in a custodial account for a Bitcoin investment or to invest in penny stocks, there's nothing you can do about it.
In certain circumstances, however, that disadvantage could become an advantage. Once you've committed funds to a 529, it must be invested in your child's education; otherwise, if financial circumstances – or if your child just doesn't want to go to college – require a noneducational withdrawal, you'll not only have to pay taxes on it, you'll probably be subject to a 10 percent IRS penalty. Once your child is of age, the money in a custodial account can be withdrawn for any purpose without penalty.”

Well tell you what, I have spent to much on this now, and am more confused then ever I can't figure out if Custodial 529 is just another name for UTMA/UGMA or if it really is something else.

Anyhow, never had a desire for a custodial account. I'll stick with nothing dishonest in having a grandparent as owner of a kid's 529. Someone asked about left over money another cool option, is the kid takes over as owner, and when they have a kid they make them the beneficiary.

Anyhow been fun, learned some, confused about more. Kids college funding money is mostly gone, so little impact to me.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UTMA/UGMa is an after tax taxable brokerage account for a minor with a custodian, aka a custodial account I have one for each kid they’ll get whatever is in there when they turn 21. UTMA is uniform transfer to minor, UGMA is uniform gift to minor. Basically the same thing few small differences. But any money put in there is a irrevocable gift you can’t take it back.

A 529 is a 529. The only reason there is a custodial custodial 529 and one isn’t a custodial is because minors can’t sign paperwork. If I opened a 529 for myself, it wouldn’t be a custodial because why would I be a custodian for myself it doesn’t make sense.

Anytime someone mentions a custodial account for minors they’re pretty much guaranteed to be talking about UTMA/UGMA. It’s just inferred a 529 is going to have a custodian because it’s very rare to open a 529 for yourself or a non-minor. There are situations it makes sense but they’ve a very select few.

You’re getting hung up on the word custodial. That has nothing to do with anything except it mean someone else is acting on behalf of the beneficiary of the account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
UTMA/UGMa is an after tax taxable brokerage account for a minor with a custodian, aka a custodial account I have one for each kid they’ll get whatever is in there when they turn 21. UTMA is uniform transfer to minor, UGMA is uniform gift to minor. Basically the same thing few small differences. But any money put in there is a irrevocable gift you can’t take it back.

A 529 is a 529. The only reason there is a custodial custodial 529 and one isn’t a custodial is because minors can’t sign paperwork. If I opened a 529 for myself, it wouldn’t be a custodial because why would I be a custodian for myself it doesn’t make sense.

Anytime someone mentions a custodial account for minors they’re pretty much guaranteed to be talking about UTMA/UGMA. It’s just inferred a 529 is going to have a custodian because it’s very rare to open a 529 for yourself or a non-minor. There are situations it makes sense but they’ve a very select few.

You’re getting hung up on the word custodial. That has nothing to do with anything except it mean someone else is acting on behalf of the beneficiary of the account.

No I am the owner of 3 individual 529's I am the owner, it never rolls to the beneficiary, it's not custodial.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a Snoo, best money ever spent, kid sleeps like a dream.

Always keep 2 burp cloths handy, when the first gets saturated, it’s too late to start looking for another.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Parenting advice you would give to new parents [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
accept that you have no idea what you’re doing or what you’re in for.

This ^^^ I have two kids and they are nothing alike. I have two brothers and we are all different, radically so.

Parents that think they know what they are doing either have had 12 dozen kids or got lucky.

That however would lead to my advise. You have to be flexible, roll with the punches and never feel like you know what you're doing... because if you do you won't be open to a different, likely better approach.

That being said take this advise with a grain of salt because I have NO idea what I'm doing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next