Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What does it mean to give it all you got?
Quote | Reply
In a race. How do you gave it all you had to give?

Personally the only time I felt I couldn't give anymore is when I puked at the end of the 5k run. My muscles were so fcking burning in the last kilometer, but in every race up to that point I always came out of the water 30 seconds down, and never had any drafting for the bike. I was always trashed for the run.

In the particular race I caught on some really fast feet and held as if my life depended on it. On the bike I was finally in a peleton and tried to start up a chat, but no-body responded. The good thing was that there was this new kid (17 yo kid haha) that felt pressured whenever someone took the lead from him on the bike, so he was motoring us at 40kph like 90% of the ride.

T2 had two sets of bike racks separted by a small hedge. I went into the wrong one and lost like 20 seconds. I burned the first 2k in 7:10 until I caught the leader in my AG. From there it all went downhill. My muscles were starting to cramp and I nearly had to walk. Stupid mistake opening that fast. At that point I knew I didn't have any chance of catching #1, but #3 was still a possibility. The last K I actually saw him 50m infront of me, so I started to speed up. When we were 200m from the finish I was only 10m behind him, but his dad yelled to him I was close and I was left eating his dust. Atleast I had the fastest run I ever had in a triathlon (19:33).

Lets hear some stories people.
Quote Reply
Re: What does it mean to give it all you got? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My all I got is not the day of the physical push but the day after. The day I got my beret. Over a year of hellish physical torture, mental torture, air traffic control school, stinky guys, jump school, on and on and on. I wouldn't have got it unless they knew they got everything out of me. %99 got you sent back to your regular squadron with a regular job.

More, more, more, I want to read more!!! Everyone respect freestyle and tell!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that vomiting towards the end of a race (mid stride preferred) is usually a good indicator that you gave it everything you have. There's a fine line between going all out and blowing up though, as portrayed by all the DNF's in Kona.

Personally for me, blowing up is much more gratifying than finishing a race with bullets left in the chamber. I was running in 2nd place in an Aquathalon (800m swim / 5k run) 20 seconds down with less than a Kilometer to go. I gave it everything I had and closed to within 10 meters of the leader. My stomach then alerted me that I was running too fast, and possibly in an effort to lighten the load (you know, each lb of body weight is worth of couple of seconds per mile) expelled its contents onto the pavement. I was proud of myself b/c I didn't even break stride, but I did slow my kick and return to my cruising pace to cross the line in 2nd. Like I said before, it felt much better to know that I gave it everything I had, rather than to cruise in after assessing who's ahead of and behind you, and being complacent with your current place.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vomiting is always a good indicator :-) I puke almost always at the end of a race, and I've also puked on the bike a couple of times, when racing draft-legal it's very important to catch the group ahead of you.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: What does it mean to give it all you got? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I puked on the bike was when I swallowed sea water. That + Isostar really made me nauseous. Good thing there was nobody behind me ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a large local duathlon (3mi/20mi/2mi), I came off the bike fourth in my wave (40+ men), having led my age group off the first run and having three pass me on the bike. I caught one of them rather quickly, but I started to get serious pain (not cramping, but "this is a tear" pain) in one calf less than half a mile in. I caught a younger (military-type, not that it matters) runner, and commented "there goes my calf". He tried to encourage me to catch the two guys. With less than a mile to go, I still trailed the two by about 100yds (racer A) and 50yds (racer B), with the younger guy just in front of me. I said to myself that this could be for age group honors, so try and catch B, so I picked it up and caught up to the young guy, and said, "go get him!", and he picked it up. We were hammering up to about 20 yards behind B, and I thanked the guy and took off (in serious pain). I caught B with about 400yds to go (an estimate), and sat on him, trying to breathe quietly and keep my shadow out of his vision. With about 200yds to go, I decided that my only hope was to try and jump him and hold him off, rather than wait for a dual sprint at the end. So I took off with everything I had. Mind you, I don't know which of A or B is in my age group (I was pretty sure one of them was the previous year's age group winner). Results in my age group (45-49) can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/wj3k (URL shortened) :-)

Age group winners received a piece of Waterford crystal.

I had trouble walking for a week; could barely do a warmdown bike after the race.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What does it mean to give it all you got? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was helping at a high school cross country meet and noticed the majority of the runners finishing and then immediately talking to their friends. They were out of breath but definitely had more left in the tank. I kept thinking, that's only 3.1 miles, they should be going all out and have nothing left at the finish. There just seemed to be no desire to hurt or suffer. I agree with the previous post, I'd rather blow up and not finish than have something left at the end. That's what was so great about Mark Allan; he'd put it all out there.
Quote Reply
Re: What does it mean to give it all you got? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It means you puke or drop to your knees at the finish line, and I've done both a few times. I knew I went all out when I set a new 400 pr for the last lap of a two mile, passing a guy that had before been 60 meters ahead of me. I really wanted to beat that bastard.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: What does it mean to give it all you got? [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love puking. It's fun and what is more fun is puking around other people. The reactions are great.

My senoir year of high school we where doing two a days for football. Full pads in the August sun in Texas. Vomiting is manditory. Me and a friend got in trouble and it was wind sprint city. Goal line to the 10, goal line to the 20, goal line to the 30 10 times.

We are spent we don't even know where we are walking. My buddy rips off his helmet and projectile vomits his lunch. Onto the cheerleaders bags. He looks up gives a small salute and mummbles "Ladies. Hope you have a good season." Walks back on to the field. Smoove as smoove can be.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Phidippides. The only way you'll have truly given it your all is if you die as you cross the finish line.

Seriously, I've always found 2nd place to be the most painful position in a race. You're hurting like hell and you're almost there, but not quite. I don't have too many race wins to my credit, but the few I do have all hurt a lot less than my many second places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you a quote to answer your question:

"Only a few times in his life, perhaps never does a rider push himmself to the absolute limit, or ten-tenths as I call it. Most time you ride pretty close to it, say at about eight-tenths. Nine is really suffering. But ten is how you'd ride if to be caught meant disembowelment or the torture of the hooks, or to save your mother or your children. It means to ride so that parts you never think of, such as your liver, your whole system, refuse to do anymore. I've seen men try it. Sometimes they succeed, but mostly they finish in the ambulance. Usually they faunt and crash at about nine-and-a-half tenths."
-Ralph Hurne, [The yellow Jersey]

Bob
Quote Reply
Giving your all [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me puking isn't really a good indicator. (One, I never puke when I compete, I've got a very strong stomach.) Two, look at Natasha Badman, she puked at what, mile six of the Hawaii Marrathon, went on to finish second. Apperently she hadn't yet given it her all.

For me "Your All" is the point were you've managed, planned, and monitored yourself all race/workout and you tailor the last half of the race, than the last quarter, then the last eigth, than the finish so you that you are probably going to collapes, a quarter-mile to twenty-yards from the finish. It's when you push through that last barrier, that commonsense tells you you shouldn't have been able to, that you've given your all.

P.S. You probably will collapse at the finish.
Which brings up one of my favorite workouts. You start out on a bike ride, don't set a goal distance to begin with, but make sure you are riding pretty hard. Monitor how you body is feeling the whole time. Continue riding until you get to the point were you are really starting to feel fatigued. (Not just tired, but really wiped.) Now turn around and ride back. Depending on your base and determination, this workout can be any where from 30 miles all the way past 100 miles. (For added pain go on a three-six mile run afterwards. Then you'll sleep like a baby.) Good Luck.
Quote Reply