Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Columbine HS [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
In case you are being serious, Assault weapons in particular, and guns in general.
Are you aware nearly twice as many people are beaten to death (fists, feet, etc.) each year than are killed by a rifle? You're over 4x more likely to be stabbed to death than killed with a rifle.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/...ide-data-table-4.xls
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
With just a little research into school shootings you'll see how many similarities there are between the shooters. They are predominantly white males who feel unwanted or rejected by their high school peers. They would rather be infamous than invisible.

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's a sort of sub-culture created by lonely white males that seems to persist. E.g. Holden from Catcher in the Rye. I'd like to find some way to change that so they think that shooting a bunch of mostly defenseless people makes them look like losers rather than cult heroes.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'd like to find some way to change that so they think that shooting a bunch of mostly defenseless people makes them look like losers rather than cult heroes.

That is not the problem. They don't mind being remembered as losers. They just want to be remembered. Noticed. To feel like they have power and control for a brief while.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

That is not the problem. They don't mind being remembered as losers. They just want to be remembered. Noticed. To feel like they have power and control for a brief while.

I think it's more complex than that. There's a sort of revenge fantasy element. And a sort of sick cult-like hero worship of them that possibly encourages the continuation of the belief. A sense of belonging to a sort of an elite club. The idea to do a mass shooting does not occur independently to each of them. It's a culture. Hence one of the rationales for razing the physical location of Columbine.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 9, 19 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Perseus wrote:
With just a little research into school shootings you'll see how many similarities there are between the shooters. They are predominantly white males who feel unwanted or rejected by their high school peers. They would rather be infamous than invisible.

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's a sort of sub-culture created by lonely white males that seems to persist. E.g. Holden from Catcher in the Rye. I'd like to find some way to change that so they think that shooting a bunch of mostly defenseless people makes them look like losers rather than cult heroes.
Yeah, it's sad. I knew people at Columbine and my kid goes to Stem School. How do we identify and reach these kids before they ruin lives?
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
You know that dalava and I advocating for greater gun control to reduce mass shootings and reduce the overall gun homicide rate.

What specifically and how would it “reduce mass shootings....”?

What do you propose?
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [TTF70.3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTF70.3 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
You know that dalava and I advocating for greater gun control to reduce mass shootings and reduce the overall gun homicide rate.

What do you propose?

Enforce existing gun laws.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:
All countries have a mental health problem, it is not unique to the US. Mental health is not the elephant.

Guns have been around since the founding of the US, so why are school shootings a relatively new phenomenon and largely exclusive to the US?

"Largely exclusive to the US" - easy access to guns (easy compared to other western countries)

"new phenomenon" - I think that there has been a gradual breakdown in society values through out western society.

Perseus - what do you think is the answer to your question?
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

What do you propose?

Enforce existing gun laws.

Now that is something we can both agree on.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [TTF70.3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTF70.3 wrote:

It's nice, but I doubt it would have much effect, if any, if preventing mass shootings.

And it's tricky logic for those using it just as a misdirection against new gun laws. If just enforcing existing laws has some huge effect, then why wouldn't new laws be able to do the same thing? It's a fine line to suggest that the existing set of laws is just perfect if we'd only enforce them, but any new law is completely useless.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 9, 19 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:

It's nice, but I doubt it would have much effect, if any, if preventing mass shootings.

And it's tricky logic for those using it just as a misdirection against new gun laws. If just enforcing existing laws has some huge effect, then why wouldn't new laws be able to do the same thing? It's a fine line to suggest that the existing set of laws is just perfect if we'd only enforce them, but any new law is completely useless.

I think we have enough gun laws and if you aren’t enforcing them you shouldn’t be making new ones. All that does is get people who follow the law to follow the law. Those people don’t commit mass murder.

California registers every gun that’s purchased. California also has a data base of people who have committed felonies. California knows that some of the names on those two lists match.

California does little to nothing about it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are talking about tearing it down and keeping the name. I would pick a new name.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the article on this since we live by there. I agree, if you’re gonna tear it down, move it and call it something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbine HS [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
trail wrote:
I'd like to find some way to change that so they think that shooting a bunch of mostly defenseless people makes them look like losers rather than cult heroes.

Which is why I have been saying for a while now that we shouldn't publish their names.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TTF70.3 wrote:

What good is a new law if they will continue to not be enforced.

"Great here's this new fancy gun law, now what? Bigger budget? More officers?"

"Well, we can't afford to add any new officers and there will be funding cuts this year, you know "fiscal responsibility" and all.

Oh did I mention that the defense budget will triple this year? That's not really related but I thought that you'd want to know that we're thinking about the troops."

Quote Reply

Prev Next