Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multi tool that won't rust?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a favorite multi tool that they carry on the bike that doesn't completely rust out? I had the Topeak Hexus II, which I liked because it had a good variety of tools and wasn't too big, but even in a Ziploc bag and then inside my bento box it rusted out to the point of not being usable. I suppose I could try double bagging or something but though there might be better tools - stainless steel maybe?

Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 7, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: Multi tool that won't rust? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you want stainless. In fact if you can find one in monel then it will never rust regardless of where you keep it, or what it's exposed to. But for typical bicycle duty, stainless should provide adequate corrosion resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been riding since the 80’s and have had countless multitools over the years, including 3 or 4 at the moment, and I can’t think of a single one that has rusted, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Silca tools have held up great for me

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lezyne SV series. Here is their lightest option.

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Multi tool that won't rust? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I’ve been riding since the 80’s and have had countless multitools over the years, including 3 or 4 at the moment, and I can’t think of a single one that has rusted, ever.
I'm with this guy (though not for that long). The heck are you doing to rust your tools? You don't need them on the swim leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had multiple topeaks and a few others.

I've never had a multi tool not rust being ziplocked bagged in my saddle bag

Price of living in the South.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi tool that won't rust? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd vote for lezyne multi tools. Although slightly brittle as i have broken the chain breaker on mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi tool that won't rust? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Throw some grains of rice into the bag with the tool.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive the same topeak multi tool.
Mine's got some rust on the chain breaker, but nowhere else, and only a fraction of how rotten yours is.
Next time pop the new one iwn a small zip lock bag and do a v short squirt of wd40 or gt85 into the bag before you seal it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which tools do you need on your multi tool? That could impact specific recommendations. If you're realistically never going to use a chain breaker on the side of the road, there's no sense in carrying it around.

No matter what you choose, cleaning it once a year and a light application of a lubricant (even a basic 3 in 1 oil) will go a long way to preventing rust and making it last a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a couple of topeak ones do that. Although they have seen plenty of use in daily commuter bags, in MTB and on the road bike in all manner of conditions, including coastal conditions. To be fair I'm talking about 10 years or so out of each, and it's only surface rust that can be cleaned off easily.

So far my Lezyne one (the ultralight one mentioned above) is appearing to be still in perfect nick after a couple of years.

But I'd second the comment above. Work out what tools you need for the ride (I have different ones I use for race, road group and MTB) and then pick from there. I wouldn't let the rust thing bother you too much as in the grand scheme of things, these all work out at a few $ a year which is peanuts compared to the rest of the 'running' costs of cycling.
Quote Reply