Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Malibu [Half] (moderator's edit)
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there doing this race? I am looking for a late season 70.3 close to so-cal, and Arizona is sold out. Curious what sort of turn out there will be for this new 70.3 distance race?

http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/new-malibu-long-course/
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 7, 19 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent venue but the only issue is the price. Anything that has to do with Malibu Tri is expensive. More so than a Ironman branded race. The event is well thought out and executed but due to the fact that the race attracts a lot of people from the entertainment industry you are charged accordingly. If you would like to see some famous actors, actresses, singers, entertainment executives then the race is a good option. Probably not a lot of places to stay. I live in the area so maybe i just don't realize the potential places to stay. The swim is right on Zuma which is always fun. The bike course should be interesting. CHP will have their hands full. Haven't looked at the run course in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superfrog is same weekend (iirc) and same price.

Bang for buck, I'd go superfrog even though I usually try to support the "little guy" races.

I think the fact that superfrog has a harder swim and run may push people to try the Malibu one though, so who knows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first, it's not a 70.3. it's a half-distance. branding issues at play.

i'm very likely going to do this race. i'll have a fair bit to say about this event as it approaches. just, i believe this is a 2-day affair, and all the movie star stuff will happen on the other day. this event is for folks like us.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, but only because they had a very early registration when they announced for stupid cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. I was going to do the Oly until I found out about the Half. I skipped Oceanside this year so I am glad I can get in a half this year thats not too far from home.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu 70.3 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Superfrog is actually $100 less (Malibu is $375 for long course). However I live within driving distance of Malibu so I don't have to pay for lodging... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu 70.3 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally, I am all about supporting local races. I typically race Wildflower and Santa Barbara long courses as my big ones. Thought this would be another half distance (since apparently I might get sued if I call it a 70.3) that I can do close to home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
Superfrog is actually $100 less (Malibu is $375 for long course). However I live within driving distance of Malibu so I don't have to pay for lodging... :)[/quote

Superfrog WAS less. It's currently at tier 3 = 375 so people like me who were on the fence are at equal cost.

I'm more intrigued by the Malibu one now due to Dan saying the 70.3 day is for "people like us".
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu 70.3 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering it if I have to bail on another IM in August. The fact ttat is is on Saturday is appealing. I did a Sunday classic course relay once and it's a total shitshow (IMO)
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu [Half] (moderator's edit) [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I’ve been doing the Oly every year and they just put on a great event. The run course is along the coast, sure, but its on crowded sidewalk for a couple miles (total) and the rest of it ain’t so great. The swim is always fun with the huge waves they can get. The bike is nice, rolling, but you really have to watch for cars on the course. Look forward to the half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case someone's interested there is a $75 off coupon valid til 06/30 - "NTW20!!"

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply