Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB
Quote | Reply
Duffy will know that I'm not talking about calories but rather the California Air Resources Board.

I ran out of gas today near home (Birmingham, Alabama). Guess my old car's fuel gauge is shot because it showed plenty left. Luckily, I was near a gas station and had 1/4 mile (440 yards) walk. Bought a can for $14 and two gallons of gas.

The can said it was spill proof. It had one of the new crazy spring loaded nozzles on it. Also said it was CARB compliant and had reference to the CCR.

I spilled gas all over the place before I got most of it in the car.

On a related note, this summer I had to buy a $5 adaptor to mount the freon (R-134a, actually) can to my hose. Now when I screw the new style cans onto my hose, it squirts all over the place. Thanks, some regulator person.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you have CARB comp cans in Bama?

Also, just do what everyone in California does and, uh, modify the spout.

I agree that those spouts are stupid but that spill is all on you.

Did you report the spill to your local enforcement agency?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
The can said it was spill proof. It had one of the new crazy spring loaded nozzles on it. Also said it was CARB compliant and had reference to the CCR.

THOSE CANS ARE JUNK.. good news you can find replacement nozzles for older cans.. that fit new cans

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea why CARB cans. Big chain truck stop place had them.

What's the RQ?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RQ?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
H- wrote:

THOSE CANS ARE JUNK.. good news you can find replacement nozzles for older cans.. that fit new cans

Store near me, Rural King, that caters to farmers has those for 8 bucks. Also comes with an air vent to comlete the conversion.

Highly recommend them.

ETA - this isn't a California issue. These things are the only cans you can get anywhere unless you spring for a metal one.

And I agree, I spill 10x more with these than a vented can with a straight nozzle.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Jun 6, 19 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
RQ?

Reportable Quantity. Ain't that a thing anymore?

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Duffy wrote:
RQ?

Reportable Quantity. Ain't that a thing anymore?

Well here’s this (good luck)...

https://www.caloes.ca.gov/...014_FINAL_BW_Acc.pdf

And here’s a good screed on the cans...

https://lfb.org/...wrecked-the-gas-can/

And look to youtube for can mods.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time you run out of gas, drive to Canada.

I'm told they still have real gas cans there.
Quote Reply
Re: Gasoline spill -- thanks CARB [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it to the federal government to completely screw up the design of a gas can. Hate those things.

I still use the 5 gallon dirt bike jugs with the long spout for all of my stuff. Work great, lots of flow, and as long as the seals are good no leaks.

Filled up 4 jugs last night to put fuel in my RV toy tank for this weekend. Easier than pulling RV to gas station for non-ethanol fuel and trying to get it into an island with out blocking access for others.
Quote Reply