Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting tire news
Quote | Reply
I like tires, so I thought this was interesting.

I see benefits being (potential) longevity, no punctures, and the people that don’t know how to take care of their cars wouldn’t be driving on rotten, deteriorating tires to the same extent. (IE, cracking sidewalls).

However, id be interested to feel how they drive. What feels great on one car would be completely different on another, and that’s why inflatable tires are great. You can put the same tire on 50 cars and just adjust the psi to achieve reasonable handling. Not sure how the adjustability would translate with these.

Anyhow, that’s my contribution for now 🤷🏼‍♂️

https://www.autonews.com/...deploy-airless-tires
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting tire news [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would still have people driving on outdated, deteriorating, threadbare tires.

I think you identified the biggest issue - these tires would be very specialized based on the size and weight of the car and certainly could not be adjusted for ride quality.

Also, I cannot help but think of this, which would be a real thing:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in how harsh a ride they would give. I notice a significant difference between my winter tires and my all season runflats. (winters deliver a ride that is much less firm (how I prefer it)).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin has been pushing this since 2005 with the Tweel. Having the wheel and tire as one isn't a great idea from my perspective.

How is this any different? Is it mounted on a standard wheel?

I'd still want to know more wrt to performance, replacement, winter conditions, compatibility on different vehicles, etc. But at first glance, I don't see enough of an upside to warrant it's widespread use.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting tire news [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Michelin has been pushing this since 2005 with the Tweel. Having the wheel and tire as one isn't a great idea from my perspective.

How is this any different? Is it mounted on a standard wheel?

I'd still want to know more wrt to performance, replacement, winter conditions, compatibility on different vehicles, etc. But at first glance, I don't see enough of an upside to warrant it's widespread use.

From the little that I've read it will mount on a standard wheel. I'm interested in cornering most of all. I would hate to see the tread-layer shear from the vertical supports. Another comment I read stated hopes that it will have a sidewall at least, because imagine trying to keep it balanced if mud/snow/ice can pile up inside of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting tire news [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yep, nothing new to see here. These have been around forever, just never released and no one has used them yet. Not sure why, would seem to make sense for some applications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will have major issues with balance due to mud ice and snow and rocks getting stuck in the sidewalls.

At least in Michigan they will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chance this takes off.

Big Air will lobby Congress to make these thing illegal.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Uptis"? Wow, there's a catchy brand name for ya! Rhymes with bupkis!

Interesting, but count me as a skeptic. I'd like to test a set at -40.

Now if they filled them with nitrogen they might be on to something.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting tire news [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
They will have major issues with balance due to mud ice and snow and rocks getting stuck in the sidewalls.

At least in Michigan they will.

WOW you are so smart. I bet the Company that manufactures tires, and A company that puts 4 on every product it sells, never in a million years would have even considered this balance thing you speak of. And yeah GM employees have no clue what Michigan roads and winters are like. Maybe you need to contact them and explain this balance thing how these tires they have been developing for years will never work.

Now I have no clue how they solved the mud balance issue. But I am pretty sure, they figured that out long before making a press statement that these will be on cars in a few years. I have no connection to this product but would expect they have hundreds of thousands of track miles and lab time on these already.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting tire news [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but did they park it in a puddle overnight have it go below freezing then drive to work in the morning? And thank you for the compliment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Yeah but did they park it in a puddle overnight have it go below freezing then drive to work in the morning? And thank you for the compliment.

Just remember if your car weighs 4,000 lbs that's 1000 lbs per tire, pounding away, my guess -- the ice gets crushed. Now do that with a normal wheel and you are chipping the ice off the wheel (yes I have had this happen more than once) .. Oh I live in Michigan by the way ;)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:

That scenario is likely to never have occurred to the guys who work for Michelin who are a bunch of newbies. You should write them a letter. In fact, their test facility is in the south USA. (Looks like a pretty cheap set up. Some of the roads have all kinds of crap in them and they didn't even bother to pave all of their test tracks.) I'm guessing that since they test in South Carolina, they must not make winter tires.

Whoops, I did a google. Seems that maybe Michelin sells winter tires in Finland, where they have a test facility.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply