Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs
Quote | Reply
I have been collecting data on the track with my Stryd PM for a while now. Going through TP this is what I found from my n=1 study:

3.45/km = 370 watts

3.35/km = 388 watts

3.30/km = 395 watts

3.25/km = 401 watts

3.20/km = 412 watts

3.10/km = 414 watts

3.05/km = 423 watts

3.00/km= 433 watts

This is done at approximately 183 lbs and thus I am wondering how it compares to speed/w for slightly lighter runners. Mainly because my world revolves around me and I would like to know whether or not it would be a huge gain to drop a few pounds before my big races.

Note: I couldn't find any 3.40/km splits, nor any 3.15/km.
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 5, 19 2:45
Quote Reply
Re: Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a spreadsheet at home I will have to pull up where I charted this out (I'm too lazy to dig through TP again), but I know for a fact that at 69 kgs I am running 3.45/km at 327W according to Stryd.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind I´d love to see that spread sheet. With 43 watts difference @ 3.45/km and 14kg difference it looks like 3w/kg is a good first approximation. From my values it looks like adding x watts translates to reducing x sec/min. The question then becomes: is 3sec/km per kg you shred (given that you are able to produce the same watts) a good thumb rule?
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 5, 19 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to remember to dig it up. From my memory I do remember that the rule of thumb that I saw was that every 1 kg in either direction = right about 2.7 watts for my running. Not sure if it is the same for everyone else. Also above 350 watts my running posture broke down and it definitely took more power to go faster.

Very subjective of course, but I think it scales linearly until you hit your threshold or whatever pace your economy begins to suffer.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jun 5, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't feel like compiling a ton of data but can help out with a screenshot of a portion of my long run last week. I was 170 lbs that morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To compare to other runners, you really need to compare w/kg as raw watts is pretty meaningless for Stryd. The pod reports w/kg and just multiplies that with your weight setting to arrive at a total watts value.

To that end, what is your Stryd weight setting? Based on the numbers you posted, something seems off. Your running effectiveness is super high, and maybe it's right, but according to WKO your RE is in the realm of elite athletes.

And for comparison sake, here's some of my data. I'm about 188lbs and slow.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for chiming in. I didn't know that I should have asked for w/kg, so thank you for educating me. I checked the app on my phone now and 83kg and 191cm is what I put in. It says that my critical power is 369 watts, which I will come back to later in the post, as you seem to know a lot more than I do. Anyways, 83kg is my weight. That is morning weight after I have visited the bathroom though. Considering that I actually weigh more with clothes on I find it hard to believe that everything is right here. (Adding another kg or two for water + food and clothes would lower the w/kg and thus make the RE even higher. And nice at it may sounds to be a super runner, I'm not one of them)

Note that all numbers were collected on the track. I find that it is a lot easier to run x min/km there compared to the road.

I would like to learn more though. Do you know how the technology works? Accelerometers in the pod using speed to convert to power? To me that seems like an oversimplification. Weighing 83kg at 170 vs at 190 should surely make a difference in drag at "high" speed?

Now back to the critical power. Is this like the FTP on the bike? And have you tried to use the same guidelines in races for the run as you do for the bike? I have half an ironman coming up on Saturday and I was playing around with different watts to aim for. Doing 369*0.85 sounds a lot easier than guessing what to aim for.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed at different watts for people @ 170-180lbs [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 5, 19 13:30
Quote Reply