Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Motivation (Night Time)
Quote | Reply
I recently got divorced and have my girls Tuesday->Saturday evening. While they're with me, I can not bring myself to get on the trainer and ride after they go to bed (note: I obviously can't go out to ride/run since I am the only one in my apartment, so the trainer is my only option). It's not an issue with training in general though. I run most days at lunch and will happily ride on the days I work from home; I swim on the days they aren't with me. I've thought about getting a smart trainer (I have an old mag at the moment) and a Zwift membership, but that's a lot of money to sink into something that I might also not be happy with.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either motivating myself or some unconventional training ideas that allow me to stay in my apartment and train?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Training Motivation (Night Time) [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t need a smart trainer for zwift. You can use a dumb trainer and a speed and cadence sensor with zwift.

You could likely spend $45-$50 on a wahoo blue speed and cadence sensor and be good to go.

Zwift can also estimate power with a Bluetooth heart rate monitor like the powertap powercal, which is around $40-$50.

Zwift has a free trial so you wouldn’t be risking any money there just to try it out.

Or for free, I used these videos for around 6 months and they definitely make trainer rides easier:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=euieme3voKg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a smart trainer to make zwift work. I don't have one. Do you have a power meter? if so that's all you need. then it's a $15/month zwift fee to try it. might be worth a try. My power meter has died mid zwift ride and I'm able to switch to a speed sensor and pick my trainer from a list. If none of that works, borrow a friend's set up. Test it out first. I'm in between races and have a busy life. My friend just wrecked outside and can only train inside until he heals. I let him borrow my trainer.

For me, late work outs make sleeping more difficult. That's my excuse.

Use the time to do strength, injury prevention stuff. I have body weight routines I can do while watching tv.
Last edited by: Jason AZ: Jun 4, 19 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't you bring yourself? Is it because you feel bad or because you hate the trainer? Just put the thing in the living room and instead of sitting on the couch with a beer sit on that and watch tv or whatever it is your normally do.

I can understand about hating the trainer, however sometimes I do really enjoy being able to get on it with headphones and grind out and lose myself. Other times I just want to interact with other people, but like you I don't have zwift. I have been thinking of creating a facebook group or something that you would essentially have group video chat so there is some form of communication and that comradery-like feel in real life of doing a workout amongst others who are also putting themselves in the hurt locker. Put on an Ironman or MLT race and grind it out with company.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use zwift with elite dumb rollers - no intelligence or resistance changes.

I run zwift on an old (~5yo) laptop with:
  1. a USB ANT+ dongle
  2. a cadence sensor
  3. a speed sensor
  4. a heart rate strap

The ANT+ sensors also map to my workouts on the garmin watch (fenix5).I use the garmin ecosystem for the workout, and the zwift environment for entertainment and gamification/motivation.

So I'm not using zwift for controlling the workout, but merely for the entertainment value, and my kids like to change my avatar into funky colours and weird hairdo's.

eta: sorry to hear about the divorce.
Last edited by: gahddenbooi: Jun 5, 19 7:21
Quote Reply