Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But that's what I am saying. Money doesn't make people make better choices.

But it certainly opens up more options to choose from.

Happiness is a pursuit. Money can provide more opportunities to engage in that pursuit.

Quote:
I would argue that it probably leads to people making worse choices.

Dumb people do dumb things. Money gives dumb people more options for idiocy.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:

I don't think I've been truly happy, or content, in a long time. It's led me to try to fill that space with things that brought trouble and ultimately more unhappiness. I think there's a very real risk of that as the struggle fades and comfort increases. It's how we're wired.

Very well said. I can definitely relate to that feeling.

The weird thing for me is looking at my life and how much I have to be grateful for (which is an almost unimaginable amount of good fortune in the grand scheme of things), and still feeling that way.

This past Sunday my entire family was in the pool playing and laughing and having a great time. No cell phones, no BS. It was just a wonderful day. I remarked to my wife later that I will always remember that day because it was wonderful.

Pics or it didn’t happen :)

PS: maintaining a pool isn’t free.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:

I don't think I've been truly happy, or content, in a long time. It's led me to try to fill that space with things that brought trouble and ultimately more unhappiness. I think there's a very real risk of that as the struggle fades and comfort increases. It's how we're wired.

Very well said. I can definitely relate to that feeling.

The weird thing for me is looking at my life and how much I have to be grateful for (which is an almost unimaginable amount of good fortune in the grand scheme of things), and still feeling that way.

Yeah. It's a real problem. Fulfillment is elusive once you perceive a deficit, and trying to appreciate all the positive aspects of your life is insufficient to overcome that feeling.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
BIG BUSINESS...

We will never fix any of these problems, We have given our country over to making money. Everything has added sugar, we have a health problem because we eat so much sugar.. the Govt. subsidies sugar to keep the price low.. Good god the processed (sugar infused) tomato paste on pizza in school counts as a vegetable.

To many gun / bullet manufactures would be screwed if we did anything about guns

H.C. you know its more profitable to research and find how to fix the symptoms for a lifetime vs fixing the problem one and done.

We are screwed and no I don't really think there is any hope. I'll be dead, and my kids will be left with even more of a mess than what we have today.

I think it's a confluence of things, which have combined to create in the general populace an inability to focus on anything other than what's right in front of them. Too many decisions are based on emotion and not on rational analysis, and those decisions range from personal decisions to national ones.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
We live in the greatest most luxurious lifestyle in all of human history and it’s only getting better.

Proof is in your post. Just the fact that have such an abundance of time and money to get on a computer and type your complaints about sugar, guns and modern medicine is more revealing than you apparently understand.

Most of human history has been filled with lives of burden, of war, of slavery, tyranny, disease and starvation.

It used to be that poor people would be malnourished, emaciated, starving. Now the biggest health problem among the poor is obesity.

And you think the world is ending because we have drugs that can manage chronic heart disease, diabetes and cancer?

Well, if it isn’t Mr. Sunshine! What happened to the dude who was just complaining in another thread about all the advancing filth, squalor, and urban decay our cities are descending into?
Quote Reply
Re: What is really wrong with America.. Mass shootings, Sugar, Health Care.. all the same problem. [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Duffy wrote:
We live in the greatest most luxurious lifestyle in all of human history and it’s only getting better.

Proof is in your post. Just the fact that have such an abundance of time and money to get on a computer and type your complaints about sugar, guns and modern medicine is more revealing than you apparently understand.

Most of human history has been filled with lives of burden, of war, of slavery, tyranny, disease and starvation.

It used to be that poor people would be malnourished, emaciated, starving. Now the biggest health problem among the poor is obesity.

And you think the world is ending because we have drugs that can manage chronic heart disease, diabetes and cancer?

Well, if it isn’t Mr. Sunshine! What happened to the dude who was just complaining in another thread about all the advancing filth, squalor, and urban decay our cities are descending into?

Those are the result of bad choices.

Just because the our current conditions over all are the best they’ve ever been doesn’t mean that we are all participating in it. You can lead a horse to water....

BTW, all that filth and squalor I’m lamenting?

That was the norm for the vast majority of humanity for the vast majority of history. Now it’s just a relative few concentrated in areas that are run by shitty government officials.

Also read the rest of the thread.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Jun 7, 19 5:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next