Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did you pay for your Kid's college? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
I paid for both of my children. It is my responsibility to fund the cost of their education. Be it taxes to pay for the elementary, intermediate, high school or college. If they chose a trade school instead of college, I would have paid for that instead. I also paid for their master's degrees.

this is pretty much the way I have always thought about it as well, just part of my job as his parent. I was fortunate enough for my parents to pay for my undergrad and grad degree so no debt when I finished. If I would have had debt, my life would have been much different as a young professional in terms of where I could live and when I had kids.

Lots of good ideas and information in this thread, but it seems like most fall on the spectrum of paying for their kids or providing a significant amount of support.

My parents put the caveat on me when going to school that they had to approve of my major or they would not pay for it. No history, art or theatre majors were allowed if I wanted my parents to pay for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Did you pay for your Kid's college? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are paying for our kids college. They are working very hard and doing well.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
I paid for both of my children. It is my responsibility to fund the cost of their education. Be it taxes to pay for the elementary, intermediate, high school or college. If they chose a trade school instead of college, I would have paid for that instead. I also paid for their master's degrees.

this is pretty much the way I have always thought about it as well, just part of my job as his parent. I was fortunate enough for my parents to pay for my undergrad and grad degree so no debt when I finished. If I would have had debt, my life would have been much different as a young professional in terms of where I could live and when I had kids.

Lots of good ideas and information in this thread, but it seems like most fall on the spectrum of paying for their kids or providing a significant amount of support.

My parents put the caveat on me when going to school that they had to approve of my major or they would not pay for it. No history, art or theatre majors were allowed if I wanted my parents to pay for it.

I would add that as a parent, we ALWAYS saw their grades. At every level. In fact, I considered and espoused that their job was "being a student". So we established a compensation schedule for their grades at every level, elementary, intermediate, high school and college. Every semester we wrote them a check for their work. Through high school, we required that half the money be invested and half they could spend as they pleased. They both graduated college with 5 figures in their investment. So it served multiple purposes and taught life lessons.
Quote Reply
Re: Did you pay for your Kid's college? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were the parent of a bright kid in the US, I'd be looking at schools overseas. Some very good schools in Europe charge zero tuition on the basis that some students will stay and contribute.

Given the significant tuition differences, I'm sure you could go to a good school, travel home 5-6 times per annum and still be way ahead.

I also think the methods of delivery for higher Ed are changing fundamentally where as 25 years ago some universities offered correspondence courses and even as long ago as the 1950's the Uni of Chicago offered a PhD via correspondence. Today with the available technology, it is possible to remotely attend excellent universities and interact in real time.

I don't understand how they effectively charge the same tuition for the experience but that's a seperate subject
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather paid for my college as long as I maintained a 3.0. I paid for my half my wife's masters degree and am currently paying for me own. All the kids have college funds, but given the skyrocketing costs, I don't think I'll be in a position to pay for my children's college, however I will do what I can within reason. They may need to start at a community college to save some money. I'm not willing to take out a second mortgage or dip into my retirement for a humanities degree. .
Last edited by: Perseus: Jun 5, 19 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 kids - 2 done and and 1 halfway there. All three went to the same school. Living on campus it's approximately $27k/yr. Scholarships covered maybe 65%-75% of that. (Different kids earned different levels.) These aren't even the superstar scholarships. Basically maintain a 3.0 and you're good. I figure that's not too much to ask. You focus on school and I'll cover the rest. One of my kids lost the scholarships at some point and ended up w/ maybe $12k in student loans because of it. I think a degree matters a lot but also wanted them to have skin in the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will pay 100% for both kids. One will be a college sophomore this year and the other is a high school senior.

I've been putting money away in a 529 plan since birth. My daughter is covered and I have about two years saved for my son, which I'll use when they are both in college at the same time. I might have 100% of my son covered if he goes to my alma mater, fingers crossed.

They both work during the summer, which I feel is important for learning the value of a dollar.

My parents paid for college but I had the hardest jobs in the summer. Three summers I worked in a quarry picking building stone by the ton and one summer I worked in an industrial scrap yard cutting steel with a torch. Nothing like moving railroad cars with large magnets hurling I beams at you. It was so bad, the other employees were bused in from Graterford prison. I think a few were on death row but I didn't ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Did you pay for your Kid's college? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
When I was at McGill, probably 20% of the kids on my residence floor were American.

International tuition at McGill is still less expensive than many state schools and Montreal is a great place to be a student!

Yes. This is why my daughter attends McGill. She loves it!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next