Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
you need to read more and understand better the process in the Netherland (and a few other EU countries) about doctor assisted suicide... it's a very rigorous yet humane process with independent checks and balances. It's not something they do lightly as you suggested. Your thread title is a wanton misrepresentation of this practice.

She was 17. That's the same age as my daughter who suffers from depression. The people that allowed this are monsters and should be jailed.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may disagree with their approach... but they don't love their children any less than you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
You may disagree with their approach... but they don't love their children any less than you do.

You are wrong. A parent that loves their kids would never let them commit suicide. It's just not an option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
dalava wrote:

You are wrong. A parent that loves their kids would never let them commit suicide. It's just not an option.

Damn, I think I was too judgmental above. Maybe there is a good reason why a parent would let their kid die from suicide. And maybe their parents loved them too. I just can't imagine ever letting my kids die voluntarily.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

You're either a troll or an idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
dalava wrote:

Damn, I think I was too judgmental above.
Pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
judging much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
judging much?

Nope. Stating a fact
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha... your facts that you are entitled to?

You, and your ilk, are what's making this country (the US) so polarized and non-functional - the unbearable righteousness. Get off the high horse, and empathize more, and you may discover happiness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
dalava wrote:

Damn, I think I was too judgmental above. Maybe there is a good reason why a parent would let their kid die from suicide. And maybe their parents loved them too. I just can't imagine ever letting my kids die voluntarily.
This is the camp that I think I fall into.

Maybe there is a time, or a place, or a situation that would call for it, but I couldn't imagine being in those shoes to make (or permit) this course of action. I'm sure it was brutal on everyone involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Haha... your facts that you are entitled to?

You, and your ilk, are what's making this country (the US) so polarized and non-functional - the unbearable righteousness. Get off the high horse, and empathize more, and you may discover happiness.

Unbearable righteousness of not killing your minor child? If that makes me unbearable I'll sleep fine at night being unbearable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More on this: https://www.bbc.com/...orld-europe-48541233, with context.
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, it's good to see you again, and hope things are going better

Secondly, I thought this may have been about someone I saw on Lance's podcast yesterday, who is making the rounds [book tour, naturally]

https://jezebel.com/...-on-the-s-1834536861

Quote:
So in March 2017, Armstrong enrolled herself in a clinical trial at the University of Utah’s Neuropsychiatric Institute, where she was put in a chemically induced coma for 15 minutes at a time for 10 sessions. The treatment, which approximated brain death, was being tested to see if it could cure depression.

The theory was that it would rewire the brain, much like electroshock, but with out the side-effects of memory loss

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She requested euthanasia and was denied.

So she starved herself to death.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
More on this: https://www.bbc.com/...orld-europe-48541233, with context.

She went on hunger strike and was being fed through a tube. Eventually her family accepted her wish to die, so they stopped forcing her to stay alive and instead used palliative care to make her final days as peaceful and bearable as possible

Her family should be ashamed
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

With the complicity of her family and doctors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yeah I don’t get that. No chance I would be complicit in this.

Did she do any therapy? (I haven’t looked that much into it).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

It doesn't fucking matter. She was 17 and in mental pain and in no place to be making her own decisions about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Attention whore.

Why didn’t she just jump off a building like normal people?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

It doesn't fucking matter. She was 17 and in mental pain and in no place to be making her own decisions about this.

I am not arguing. I am simply wondering if this was the first step and the family just said "Yeah, good idea. Fuck therapy"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
dalava wrote:

No you were not too judgmental. There are absolutes in this world. In this case it is absolutely wrong to go along with your child's wishes to die. I have no doubt they were under tremendous stress. They were / are suffering too. But too allow such a final solution to emotional pain is a mistake. A 17 year old does not have the wisdom to make such a decision. I have sympathy for her loved ones and for her. But they made a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Euthanasia for depression? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to let everyone know that the original posted story was Fake News....

"On Tuesday, English-language media outlets across the world reported that the Netherlands permitted a doctor to assist 17-year-old rape victim Noa Pothoven in killing herself. Euthanasia is legal in cases of "hopeless and unbearable" suffering in the Netherlands, but Pothoven did not die from euthanasia. In fact, her euthanasia request was denied. Instead, she starved herself to death, against the wishes of the state or her parents."

Still horrible but now we have the honest report here:

https://pjmedia.com/...hat-really-happened/

Quote Reply

Prev Next