Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me install SW-R9160 shifters
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Please save me the humiliation of taking this to my LBS.

I’m attempting to install Shimano’s SW-R9160 bar end TT shifters. The instructions per the dealer manual are simple enough:

However, I’m stuck on step 3. Spinning the nut part does not tighten the shifter within the bar cavity.

I’m sure it is user error, and a very simple one to correct. Can you help? What am I missing?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jun 3, 19 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Help me install SW-R9160 shifters [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never installed that exact shifter, but I believe that if you hold the expanding wedge portion with your fingers and then turn the spanner a little, it will then grab the inside of your aero bars and stop spinning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a small black plastic tool to get that plugged in. Then just push it in and hold the rearward most portion with the two flat sections and turn the rest counter clock wise. It will expand and tighten. No tools needed.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jun 3, 19 20:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,
Please save me the humiliation of taking this to my LBS.

I’m attempting to install Shimano’s SW-R9160 bar end TT shifters. The instructions per the dealer manual are simple enough:

However, I’m stuck on step 3. Spinning the nut part does not tighten the shifter within the bar cavity.

I’m sure it is user error, and a very simple one to correct. Can you help? What am I missing?

Scott

I've installed a bunch of these, and quite honestly I couldn't tell you how to do it, but it is the simplest thing aside from just plugging the e-tube connectors. Just see what moving all of the parts does when it's not inside of the aerobar, then repeat when inside the aerobar. You will want to use the cone wrench though as it's how you get it to be snug enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have installed these on my bikes with no major issues. It is an expansion system, just make sure it is all engaged first and that you can actually tighten it up outside of the bar itself to begin with. Then loosen it off until you can just squeeze it down into the bar, then tighten up as per the manual. It honestly is not difficult, something must be going wrong with the steps you are taking!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me install SW-R9160 shifters [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Then just push it in and hold the rearward most portion with the two flat sections and turn the rest counter clock wise.

Eureka! Turning the nut counter clock wise does the trick.

Sanity check: doesn’t the image above illustrate a clock wise turn?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
dkennison wrote:
Then just push it in and hold the rearward most portion with the two flat sections and turn the rest counter clock wise.

Eureka! Turning the nut counter clock wise does the trick.

Sanity check: doesn’t the image above illustrate a clock wise turn?

Scott

Yes these are reverse threaded. Holding the "nut" still with your fingers and rotating the body is easier for me (but trickier for logo alignment)

The picture shows turning the nut clockwise but the button would be counter clockwise relatively...confusing i agree
Quote Reply