Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much do you tip movers? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we moved back to the mainland after 25 years on Oahu. We boxed all our stuff in boxes moved it to a storage place and hired the movers pack the stuff into wooden sea containers. I was amazed at those guys efficiency in getting the containers filled up. And they worked really fast and careful. Then on the other end ,the guys unloaded the wooden containers into our garage box by box. They commented how the 1st guys did a really good job packing the containers

I choose to tip around $50 a man on both ends, because they were all young hard workers and looked to me like they needed all the money they could get. The first crew I gave the money to the driver/chief and he acted like it was a really big thing to receive a nice tip. His crew both came over and shook my hand with almost tears in their eyes. Maybe it was sweat, but I felt good to do a nice thing. On the other end one of the guys turned out to be a bartender at a local watering hole. I still see him once every other week or so and is now sort of a friend/bartender. Even if it is unnecessary sometimes it is a good thing to give a nice gratuity to someone who could use a little lift.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m with Dave on this one. I’m not tipping movers. I will buy them all the food and drinks they want but I never, ever thought about tipping them. Maybe I’m wrong on that but I don’t see it. I hired them for a price to do a job. I also don’t get tipping auto mechanics or bike shop employees. I’m not giving you extra for doing your job.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually it is me packing an moving all the smaller stuff and I only hire the big guns to move all the big shit for me.

At most, I've tipped $10-20 each and/or bought lunch/drinks for them. But usually its only for a half day of work.

There were times I didn't tip probably.

Other times I'll go down to the "corner", and hire a couple dudes looking for work and just pay them some cash, whatever I feel they earned. Everyone has a corner in there town right?

Generally movers I have been on the fence if it was a tip-able line of work, so it just boils down to how I'm feeling that day and if I feel charitable.

Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with movers is if you contracted with Allied or Bekin or some big company they get the $5,000 fee and then they pay the workers jack and no benefits often times. Ours were all local guys with families to feed and that is the best job they could get and hold I am guessing or they would have been elsewhere I am sure. I felt that at the extra $100 bucks or so was just the right thing to do as our move was $7,500 total. To each their own.

I am one for buying lunch, bring beer and being real nice to my home boys at the bike shop. Sometimes they have a week or three waiting on working your bike in. I don't ever seem to have to wait and often don't get charged as they own the place. But I probably am on about a $100 a month retainer in food and beer. Each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister wants to move to another city and asked me to help her. I think that the best way is to move all small stuff by ourselves and hire movers for the big stuff. But it is good to learn from the experience of other. Thanks for sharing, guys.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you start moving all the small stuff by yourself you will be very surprised how much "small" stuff you actually have.
I wouldn't bother myself to do it but pack everything in the boxes and wait for the moving company.
We use https://expomovers.com/ every time we need transportation services and we will do it again and again. With the tips it is all up to you and how happy you are with the job. I normally give 50-100 each depending on the amount of boxes/furniture etc etc.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: May 25, 22 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm somewhat of an expert in this area having had 4 major moves in the last 7 years. Yes, tip the guys/gals loading and unloading the truck. For the majority of these folks $40 or $50 bucks means a heck of a lot more to them than it does to us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hired movers to move the big stuff about a mile. Distance I guess doesn't matter because it's the same amount of wrapping, packing, lifting, and loading wether it's a mile or 1,000 mile move. Two people, maybe working 3ish hours to move large bedroom pieces, table, sofa, large chair. I moved all the smaller stuff myself - again 1 mile move.

I offered hydration, bathroom, and food. They were fast, super careful, and reasonably friendly. I tipped $100 each. They made it easy and stressless. If not, maybe $20 each if that.

================
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three years later and I'm still bewildered by tipping movers. I even had my entire household packed, moved out of state, and unpacked less than a month after I made that post. Still didn't tip them a cent. Bought them all the food and drinks they wanted both on the front and back end (different crews).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My MIL choses not to tip massage therapists either. Dunno.

It's one's choice to or to not.

I don't know what I'd do without these movers, and if I can make their day and give them a smile from some unexpected cash, well, that makes my day.

================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
6 guys. They Dont own the truck. Working from 9-5. I think total move is like 2500.

Is 40 each appropriate?

I believe the standard tipping rate is now 30%, of course if the tip is to ensure better service than what you paid for give it to them before the move. If the tip is simply because you feel they are not paid enough to do there job, well you should have hired a different moving company, but give them the tip after.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Three years later and I'm still bewildered by tipping movers. I even had my entire household packed, moved out of state, and unpacked less than a month after I made that post. Still didn't tip them a cent. Bought them all the food and drinks they wanted both on the front and back end (different crews).

20yrs? later and I am still bewildered by tipping anyone. but unlike you I do it, anywhere from 20 - 30% not really sure why I do, I guess out of guilt. But its a really f'd up thing... I mean its getting bad when you give the homeless guy $5 and then he holds up a tip jar..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [sol-rosenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:
My MIL choses not to tip massage therapists either. Dunno.

It's one's choice to or to not.

I don't know what I'd do without these movers, and if I can make their day and give them a smile from some unexpected cash, well, that makes my day.

We tip the movers. We moved five times at 3 year intervals and having movers was absolutely awesome. I love moving and the excitement of adventure, but the whole process of buying, selling, school & medical files, and the actual moving is a lot of work. At every step, I notice when people are doing their job well. If we notice, we reward.

Moving with kids probably influences this a little because we make a big effort to be positive about moving and its challenges. We give extra to keep smiles on people’s faces.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

20yrs? later and I am still bewildered by tipping anyone. but unlike you I do it, anywhere from 20 - 30% not really sure why I do, I guess out of guilt. But its a really f'd up thing... I mean its getting bad when you give the homeless guy $5 and then he holds up a tip jar..

What do you mean unlike me? I tip restaurant staff, bartenders, valets, bellhops, taxi drivers, masseuses, etc. Those are occupations dependent on the tipping model (as shitty as that might be).

I’m not tipping movers, the A/C guy, the mailman, the garbage man, the fucking dude changing my vehicle’s oil at the dealership, or the dude removing my bottom bracket on my bike at the LBS. If I hire Ernst & Young to do my taxes I’m not tipping the accountant. Why would I tip the A/C guy or a mover?

Last edited by: The GMAN: May 23, 22 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Swede on this one. I've had movers for several moves over the past ten years. I tip about $50 per worker (somewhere in the range of 10-15% of the total moving cost). It doesn't add much expense on my end in the grand scheme of moving and can matter a lot to the people who did the work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next