Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri
Quote | Reply
To the ST Community,

Wanted to reach out to the community regarding two bikes stolen in front of The Freehand Hotel yesterday after the Herbalife LA Tri.
A buddy and I had a good race, smashing our Oly PR's and enjoyed the event held by Herbalife.

Left the event and met up with other friends for a quick bit at The Freehand Hotel 12:15pm, locking both our bikes together with a cable combination lock (which now we know can be easily picked...).
Per the taxi driver that witnessed the event, two culprits were able to pick the lock within 3min and rode off before 1:00pm. (we missed them by 2min...) The area was crowded with many other witnesses but the culprits were dressed in athletic wear and didn't appear to raise any red flags while casually working on the locks.

We have an incident # and waiting to obtain a police report. Contacting the hotel for any surveillance footage. Also provided the DT bike patrol crew photos of our bikes in case they happen to come across it. (Checked to see if the race number RFID can track but no luck there.)

Though a long shot and my faith in humanity is gone, I'm hoping the ST community can be on the look out for these bikes popping up on craigslist, letgo, offerup, or other forums. If you see a R2 with redshift seat post / aero bars & campy wheels, &/or a grey Kestrel with BTA bottle cage and dual seatpost bottle holder, please let me know.

Hoping to get a good surveillance shot so I can contact local news stations for identifying the culprits.

Thank you.

Cervelo R2 (black with red highlights, white logo,56, 2017)
& Kestrel Talon (grey with orange, 54, 2016)
https://bikeindex.org/bikes/616450
Last edited by: Tritops: Jun 3, 19 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm out here in Redlands, I'll keep an eye and let my LBS know. They get 2-3 people showing up with stolen bikes every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks,

Not sure how to attach photos to the original post so, adding it here.
both had a tri set up at the time of theft. Aero bars and BTA bottles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yours but I saw this posting on Nashville's Craigslist. Seems legit. :o

Original 2018 Cervelo R5 Hydraulic Disc - $800 (Nashville) hide this posting unhide
<image 1 of 3>

bicycle frame material: carbon fiber
bicycle type: road
condition: excellent
frame size: 54 cm (16" - M)
wheel size: 700C

Bike is completely original with full Shimano Ultegra or SRAM Force components, Mavic Ksyrium Equippe or Easton EA90 SLX wheelset, and Specialized parts sprinkled throughout.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick update:

we have surveillance footage from the hotel camera.
will get it to the police asap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good clear pictures atleast....

witness said they were dressed in what kind of clothes again ? ...
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a guy smoking a cig shouldn't stick out at all trying to unlock a RACE bike...........right............

If I saw someone trying to get to or ride off on a race bike while smoking a cig I'd be asking some questions. Also considering they aren't wearing bike shoes.

There were a couple people who rode the local brewery critical mass who smoked, but they didn't ride road race bikes. They rode cheap fixies, town bikes, or a beat up MTB.

Road race bike + smoking + no bike shoes = dead giveaway
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bikes in DT after Herbalife LA Tri [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only real human witness was a taxi driver parked right in front of the action.
I guess a baseball cap and a hoodie is "athletic wear" to him. Only odd thing was that he told us they took off straight on 8th. Security Manager says video surveillance shows them turning left at the corner.

At least we got good footage for LAPD to work off of...better than nothing.
I contacted +12 local bike shops, asked friends in DT to spread the images of the bikes and scums to messengers and bike patrol crew so crossing our fingers.

we'll both be on rental bikes at SR 70.3...but that's not going to stop us from enjoying the race.
Quote Reply