Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
I've got an Elite version EP. While it is very nice to swim at home and to always have an easy "go to" option, ours has been a challenge from a reliability standpoint. We had a full custom build and dimensions to fit a dedicated "pool" room in a newly constructed house. We are three years in on it, and are on the third motor unit! The first two motors had seals leak and spread a thin oil film throughout the pool. EP claimed this "never happens". Not true. The clean up and repair was a real pain. Warranty covered some, but not all of the cost. Then we had more than one tear in the liner, and no one knows why. This required two separate "leak finder" experts to identify. All the while, of course, the pool is completely un useable. Now, after two motor failures and multiple leaks, all of which ran costs up in to the thousands, we are back in business, I hope. So, while it is a good concept, beware that EP is VERY big on the marketing side, but once you get it installed, the after sale service is mediocre at best. We had to fight with them to replace motors and they never do so without charge, just a big discount. I'm not telling you no to an EP, but they are not without their issues.

Looking on the positive side, swimming in an oil sheen best simulates OWS in any water with boat traffic. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
I've got an Elite version EP. While it is very nice to swim at home and to always have an easy "go to" option, ours has been a challenge from a reliability standpoint. We had a full custom build and dimensions to fit a dedicated "pool" room in a newly constructed house. We are three years in on it, and are on the third motor unit! The first two motors had seals leak and spread a thin oil film throughout the pool. EP claimed this "never happens". Not true. The clean up and repair was a real pain. Warranty covered some, but not all of the cost. Then we had more than one tear in the liner, and no one knows why. This required two separate "leak finder" experts to identify. All the while, of course, the pool is completely un useable. Now, after two motor failures and multiple leaks, all of which ran costs up in to the thousands, we are back in business, I hope. So, while it is a good concept, beware that EP is VERY big on the marketing side, but once you get it installed, the after sale service is mediocre at best. We had to fight with them to replace motors and they never do so without charge, just a big discount. I'm not telling you no to an EP, but they are not without their issues.

Wow I am dealing with an oil leak as well from the hydraulic motor. I'm swimming in it until it can be fixed in February (when our installer can come back). I love my pool so much and this is so frustrating. I've heard of others on the facebook group called Endless Pool Owners who have had to replace the motors as well due to leaking veggie oil. It's definitely a thing and it happens!

How did you clean your pool? I hate cleaning stuff. (I guess who does? lol). I dread this aspect of getting rid of the oil inside the pool as well as being without a pool for a bit. Ugh. For a $40K purchase including installation, I really expect better. This should not happen. And the liners seem like they could easily be punctured. Maybe there is a reason why those spa pools are so popular.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to replace the motor with a new one. EP will try and sell you on a refurbished motor, don't do it. Insist on a brand new motor. Have that professionally installed and tested. Before that is done, drain the pool and in bare feet (absolutely no shoes!) scrub the liner with a Dove dishwashing soap solution. Yes, a mild concentration in a soapy bucket of Dove works best. Scrub down the whole pool. The liner is not that tough, so you need to be careful when walking on it and scrubbing it. Then refill and hit with chlorine at "shock" level. Allow a couple days before swimming so the chlorine level isn't too high. Test before you swim. If it appears clear and the chemical levels are ok then you should be ok. Key, is to do a thorough cleaning and be sure there is no residual oil sheen on the surface. If you have a properly sealed and functioning motor, you should be ok. good luck. We finally got ours back to reliably functioning and watch the water quality carefully, but it took a third motor and cleaning to get there. Annually, the pool needs to be drained and cleaned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
You need to replace the motor with a new one. EP will try and sell you on a refurbished motor, don't do it. Insist on a brand new motor. Have that professionally installed and tested. Before that is done, drain the pool and in bare feet (absolutely no shoes!) scrub the liner with a Dove dishwashing soap solution. Yes, a mild concentration in a soapy bucket of Dove works best. Scrub down the whole pool. The liner is not that tough, so you need to be careful when walking on it and scrubbing it. Then refill and hit with chlorine at "shock" level. Allow a couple days before swimming so the chlorine level isn't too high. Test before you swim. If it appears clear and the chemical levels are ok then you should be ok. Key, is to do a thorough cleaning and be sure there is no residual oil sheen on the surface. If you have a properly sealed and functioning motor, you should be ok. good luck. We finally got ours back to reliably functioning and watch the water quality carefully, but it took a third motor and cleaning to get there. Annually, the pool needs to be drained and cleaned.

Thanks so much. Dove soap! I was thinking Dawn, but we'll get some Dove! That sounds like a huge pain cleaning the whole pool. Ugh! I'll make sure we get a new motor. Especially because we are so far away from an installer who would have to travel far to keep replacing a motor. I figured we would drain and clean the pool once a year, but in the late summer before it gets cold here in snow country. (I live in the northeast of the US). Draining in the winter time will be tough.

Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry! I meant Dawn. That works best. There is also Green Clean solution which (I may not have that name right), also works, but Dawn is best for cleaning. Unfortunately, these pools do require attention and the hassle of maintaining. We ended up with a hot tub service guy to replace the motor. EP does have a list of service people, but we found as you have, that they can be a long way away. Get a good quality hot tub company to do the motor service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! Ok that's good about Dawn. I have that in the house.

There is a dealer not too far away who sells the EP spa pools and hot tubs. They are nice guys and we bought a bunch of chlorine and pool products from them recently. They even said I could try the pool out next time we were there. I'd love to see how the spa current compares to the high performance current. But I'm digressing. I would imagine the hydraulic motors are the same or similar.

Glad you got your pool sorted. I bet that Elite pool is awesome! We love the High Performance. It's good enough for us. I barely hit a 1:30 pace but my husband swims much faster than me!

I knew it would not be easy, just wasn't expecting to have broken parts on the initial install and then a leaking motor. And to top it off we are the first EP owners who live off the electric grid. So that is another fun challenge (not). That all being said, it's still worth it for me. A public lap pool is far away and a terrible drive if there is even an inch of snow during the night. I was miserable last winter getting up early to leave the house just after 5am for a 6am masters practice. And during covid!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, it's nice to have no excuses right in the house. It is not the same as a lap pool obviously, but when you do swim 2-3 times per week in an EP it maintains your swim fitness fairly well. I'm even developing a passable breast stroke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

Wow I am dealing with an oil leak as well from the hydraulic motor. I'm swimming in it until it can be fixed in February (when our installer can come back). I love my pool so much and this is so frustrating. I've heard of others on the facebook group called Endless Pool Owners who have had to replace the motors as well due to leaking veggie oil. It's definitely a thing and it happens!

How did you clean your pool? I hate cleaning stuff. (I guess who does? lol). I dread this aspect of getting rid of the oil inside the pool as well as being without a pool for a bit. Ugh. For a $40K purchase including installation, I really expect better. This should not happen. And the liners seem like they could easily be punctured. Maybe there is a reason why those spa pools are so popular.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having

I never knew 40k Amazing
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

I never knew 40k Amazing

That does include $5,600 for installation. I saved up for years too. We are not rich people. It's just something I have been passionate about. We don't have kids so it's my big middle-aged splurge

Once this gets fixed, things will be pretty good. But yeah, for that kind of money, it stinks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Agree, it's nice to have no excuses right in the house. It is not the same as a lap pool obviously, but when you do swim 2-3 times per week in an EP it maintains your swim fitness fairly well. I'm even developing a passable breast stroke!

I'm swimming 5-6 days (built up to 6) to finally try and obtain that elusive body feel. I only swim about 12K yards but for me it's about consistency. 2-3 times a week is good. But I'm a very late adult onset swimmer and need to swim more days a week. My swim is so much slower than my bike and run in a triathlon. The EP is my last chance to try and improve. Even if I shaved off 2 minutes in my 70.3 swim, that would be great for me. But I actually love swimming in my EP. More than I expected. I can try things I'd be too embarrassed to do in the public pool. I used to fear the water most of my adult life. Now I can't get enough of my little tank. I'd love to swim 7 days a week but am worried I'd blow out my shoulder or something stupid like that :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Keep at it. Do you have the floor mirrors? I think those help, especially with alignment etc. High elbow catch. I really focus on the "feel" of the hand. Not "slipping" during the pull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Great! Keep at it. Do you have the floor mirrors? I think those help, especially with alignment etc. High elbow catch. I really focus on the "feel" of the hand. Not "slipping" during the pull.

Yup, have both mirrors and love seeing what I'm doing. However at the moment it's gotten quite cloudy from the oil leak and I can hardly see myself. Just a shadow. Another reason I'm eager to get this all fixed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

I never knew 40k Amazing

That does include $5,600 for installation. I saved up for years too. We are not rich people. It's just something I have been passionate about. We don't have kids so it's my big middle-aged splurge

Once this gets fixed, things will be pretty good. But yeah, for that kind of money, it stinks!

Very nice!

What are those $10,000 setups I see when I google endless pools?

How much is the very smallest lap pool of say 75’?
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

I never knew 40k Amazing

Very nice!

What are those $10,000 setups I see when I google endless pools?

How much is the very smallest lap pool of say 75’?

I would guess the extra cost to install the coping and skirting which we did ourselves. Also many installers do site work. We took care of that ourselves. we are handy. There are things like treadmills and other pool toys as well that rack up installation costs.

Lap pool? No idea on costs. Not feasible for us.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the Performance model EP, and have had it since January of 2019 where we installed it ourselves with the exception of the electrician connecting it to a dedicated breaker. Have always had it in the garage and have moved it twice. The first move, I took everything apart, loaded it into a Pod and then had the "professional" installer put it together at our new house ( which I wasn't impressed with). Just moved again in August and when I took it apart, found a screwdriver left under the bench that was rusting from the "professional" installers. Decided to save the $4000 and put it back together myself which goes pretty quickly (one weekend) once you know what you are doing.

As for the "boring" swim portion, there definitely are some benefits to not having to do flip turns or stopping for that matter during a long build up. I wear headphones and listen to music while swimming, which helps pass the time. As for swim sets, I still use paddles and a pull buoy, etc. and have the fit@home programmed to change speeds during sets. We gave up our gym membership and it is a huge time saver being able to walk a few steps to do a swim workout and get a green on Training Peaks especially on those early cold mornings where you dread having to get up at 5 and head to the gym in the winter.

We did have a bit of oil leak the first time we moved the pool just from the hoses being disconnected and not putting the plugs on them. That was pretty quickly remedied with about a dozen tennis balls and a new filter. It was gone after about a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iSam wrote:
As an alternative, I’ve always wondered whether you could just tether your legs to one end of a pool so you don’t go anywhere and then swim on the spot without moving forward?...

I did this for a few years. It is boring, but works pretty good once you get the feel for it…

https://www.amazon.ca/...3895702264&psc=1

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next