Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coaching for human powered vehicle WR interest?
Quote | Reply
Is anyone here interested (and qualified) in providing some coaching services for a human powered vehicle record attempt? The category is the collegiate team speed record, currently 61.3 mph. In general, the event is a flying 200m sprint that has a timed "speed trap" at the end for the record number, though the nuances of the faired recumbent vs a standard bike make it a bit nonstandard -- e.g. the rider position and acceleration characteristics among others. here is a paper that has some power files and pacing strategies from another attempt. Full disclosure, I'm not on the design team (https://www.hpv.calpoly.edu/), I just help them out sometimes with the cycling side of things.

The club is mainly looking for someone to help out with a training/nutrition plan for their rider. Being a college team they don't have too much money available for this (although I can't formally speak for them on that), but they also don't need an incredibly involved program either. If anyone here is interested please feel free to reach out and I will put you in touch with them to discuss the details!
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching for human powered vehicle WR interest? [jschm13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few questions, as it seems full articles are behind a paywall and some of the answers will involve detailed web searches.

-The power figures seem often inaccurate (guesses), or if they have real data and keep it hidden or secret. We'd like to know for the overall effort what you're looking at. A Strava or Trainingpeaks link would do easier than navigating medical paper paywalls.

-Is the "runup" at any speed you can build, or is there a speed limit before the 200m "sprint"? This matters a LOT as to the sprint vs. aerobic ability of the rider.

-Basically either way, just grab a British Cycling style plan for either individual pursuit or sprint from their website and have your guy/gal do it. And have them do it by affixing a recumbent to a trainer and put up some "barriers" to simulate your race bike. I think that would get you 95% of the way there.

For that "runup", we need an idea what you're looking at duration wise. Is it a pursuit distance runup and a final sprint? Is it a speed limited "tempo" runup and an actual sprint?

Give us some more.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching for human powered vehicle WR interest? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a pm. I'll post a response to these questions in a few hours when I get a chance to think about them a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I threw some of the numbers into my time trial spreadsheet and ya'll gotta be below a .03 CdA, and/or having some stellar legs behind the pedals.

The math I look at on folks setting the records would have folks riding at a CdA well below .03 AND also ftp of 400+. Yah, for the TT folks......zero point zero three.

I dunno, I'd maybe look for an amateur "trackie" who does both Kilo and individual pursuit. Individual pursuit is 4km and has a standing start. Kilo has a standing sprint like start with mega power and a big anaerobic finish, about a minute.

Then have them adopt their training to the recumbent seated position. Their training would be fine for what you seem to do, maybe a brief hard start while drag is low and CRR is king, then steady state for a big sprint finish the last 200m.

If that's the case, like I said, find a coach who knows a good bit about training for the Kilo and individual pursuit disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching for human powered vehicle WR interest? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
-Is the "runup" at any speed you can build, or is there a speed limit before the 200m "sprint"? This matters a LOT as to the sprint vs. aerobic ability of the rider.

There is no speed limit in the runup as far as I'm aware. Also during the start the team can push/stabilize the bike for the first 15m.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would reach out to Greg Kolodziejzyk. He's set multiple human-powered land and water records. Greg is also a Kona Qualifier Triathlete, ultramarathoner, and having closely followed his adventures over the last decade plus, he seems very willing to work with others. He has the training and nutrition knowledge base, all the tools to help, presuming he's not currently consumed with another project ;)

http://adventuresofgreg.com/blog/

email address: greg@human-power .com (i purposefully put a space in there)
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Jun 3, 19 16:50
Quote Reply