Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower back pain when racing, but not when on trainer
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time post :)

I finished the Victoria 70.3 yesterday. About 30K into the ride I dealt with lower back pain/discomfort while in the aero position. I've experienced this in all races I've done over the past 1.5 years (I'm new to Tri), but I never experience when on the trainer. I think this then feeds into the hamstring cramping I experience when on the run. I was luckily able to hold-off full cramps yesterday, but I had to keep my run pace slower so I didn't left my legs/gait too high for fear of cramps.

Very frustrating as this issue limits my power and position on the bike, and pace on the run.

My question: is this a common issue with the transition from trainer to road? While running yesterday, I think I may have figured out the reason. I ride a road bike with clip-on aerobars. This means I often have to ride with my left arm on the pad, and right arm on the handlebar throttling the gears. Also, when going fast downhill, I keep my right hand on the handlebar as the bike is rather twitchy.

Would love to hear if anyone else has had similar challenges? This may be what pushes me to the other side of the fence to invest in my Tri bike now, rather than the fall. Would hate to compromise more races this year.

Cheers and thanks for any input!
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain when racing, but not when on trainer [EnduranceTap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think it is down to additional race intensity ?

Perhaps you have a problem that only surfaces at the higher intensity?

It may be down to tight hip flexors and / or tight hamstrings and therefore working on those through the season may mean it does not surface on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain when racing, but not when on trainer [EnduranceTap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how often are you doing long rides outside?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain when racing, but not when on trainer [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Crumpy, in regards to intensity, that's what I would have thought. However, I ended up putting out a lot less power/intensity due to the discomfort.

Callin', I don't get out nearly enough - but that though aligns with a comment my wife made today. She wondered if it could have to do with the road vibration. I know that when I'm breaking ice outside in the winter (Canadian winters) the vibration from that causes a lot of issues for my back, especially the QL. I have a Cervelo S3 Disc and I tried to put put 25mm tires on there last year, but I got tire rub so had to go back to 23mm. I'm sure that would help absorb some of the road vibration.

I certainly need to hit the road more, though a busy schedule makes that tough, especially when living downtown and it takes a while to drive or ride to get out of the city and get some rhythm going!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Lower Back Pain Post...

I have a similar situation where I am experiencing lower back pain 1.5 hrs into every ride outside, but barely at all inside on the trainer with the same bikes.

I am 43 years old.

- this started about 6 months ago around 1.5 hrs into a ride, mostly on hills. Pain starts on the lower right side of my back like a burning sensation and if I continue the pain will also move to the middle. I found if I could stand and pedal for a min or two the pain would go away
- then the pain wouldn't go away from standing up periodically and I would ride occasionally with a muscle relaxant to get me through
- back in Feb in Mallorca same thing about 1.5 hrs into the ride pain manifests on the lower right side. Feels burning sensation. More so during long climbs
- pain continues to appear during rides in the UK in March - April, getting worse. Burning Pain starts lower right side then ends up in the centre. I now feel pressure in my back and if I ride more than 1.5 hrs the pain remains after the ride. I can now pop (crack) my back where I couldn't before.
- pain happens now not just on climbs but on flat easy rides as welll

What I have done...

- I have had another bike fit, and I tried a new saddle (switched from a Fizik Antares to an Aliante.
- rigorous stretching and core program daily since March. Core, Glutes, Hip Flexors. Has not helped
- Chiropractor which provides almost instant relief for a day or so.
- Went on anti inflammatory meds for couple weeks which didn't do much, came off them
- I don't use muscle relaxants to get me through the rides anymore

Not sure if this is related but I have a snapping hip on the same side. I can temporary stop the hip snapping by stretching the Psoas Muscle

Here is my question. based upon what I am experiencing is it risky continuing to ride using a muscle relaxant like Robaxacet? it is quite effective while I ride and it can get me through to about 3-4 hrs. I don't want to permanently damage my back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are doing something different on the road vs. on the trainer. Pretty simple. Tough part is figuring out what, specifically, is leading to your discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How big is your front wheel riser when you're riding inside? When you're inside, are you staring straight down at the ground or looking ahead like you would on the road?
Quote Reply