Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seasucker Bomber experience?
Quote | Reply
I’m picking up a Tesla Model 3 next week, and after much research and deliberation on bike transport options I’ve decided on seasucker. The bomber (3-bike version) looks like the best option for me. I would not have to transport 3 bikes very often, but I like having the option, and it’s currently available at almost the same price as the mini-bomber (2 bike version). The bomber is $802 Canadian dollars at Wiggle, whereas the mini-bomber is on for $763 CAD at Amazon, a little less at chain reaction but it’s out of stock. Looks like a no-brainer. My problem is that even though both have been on the market for years, I am seeing virtually NO reviews on the bomber, and hundreds of rave reviews on the mini-bomber. I don’t understand why the bomber is not more popular, and it's making me reluctant to buy. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker Bomber experience? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a mini-bomber, which you mentioned you've already read plenty of reviews for. Based on my mini-bomber, I can't imagine why the bomber wouldn't be a great solution if you need a 3-bike roof rack for your Model 3.

On some cars, I would think that the bomber would be too wide to mount on a sunroof. My mini-bomber fits just right on the sunroof of my old m3. If I had the bomber I would have to mount the rack behind the sunroof, and that might look weird (but it would still function just fine).

I'd prefer a hitch rack, but they don't make a good hitch for an e46 m3. Hitch racks should give better gas mileage, you won't drive your bike into the roof above your garage, and you will collect a huge insurance payment for new gear if you ever get rear-ended :)
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker Bomber experience? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank-you for responding. Makes sense that the mini would be more versatile in terms of placement, also looks less bulky as far as carrying around and storing.
I did consider a hitch -- there are two for the model 3 that got pretty good reviews, but there were a couple of things that put me off -- low ground clearance is one, and the other is that it interferes with the sensors. I also was slightly anxious about bolting an aftermarket product to my car (neither hitch is officially made by or approved by Tesla).
After giving it some more thought I am leaning toward the mini bomber now. I really do not expect to have to transport 3 bikes, and in a pinch I could always borrow a trunk rack. I just thought it was better value because it's almost the same price. I’m leaning toward the mini partly because of the versatility thing, and partly because I like that it has so many great reviews -- I find that sometimes it pays to follow the masses;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am likely ordering the Model 3 today but have been going back and forth on bike transport- did you end up getting the Bomber or some other option? Can you fit a bike in the trunk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several reviews of seasuckers racks on this forum. I can not recall any that are not positive.

I have the 3 bike model and have had 3 bikes on the roof with it. No issues mounting or with the rack.

I've tried to shake 2 bikes w/disc wheels on the rear off at >100mph on the freeway. No could do.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one second hand and I routinely have issues with the suction cups sticking, so much so that I am going to be installing a proper rack and ditch my current setup. This may be down to the previous owners mistreatment of the suction cups or an issue with the product itself, I don't have a way to separate that. The pump itself doesn't seem to be the issue, but the cups are finicky for me despite not having any obvious signs of damage.
Last edited by: jhammond: Jan 2, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker Bomber experience? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
I am likely ordering the Model 3 today but have been going back and forth on bike transport- did you end up getting the Bomber or some other option? Can you fit a bike in the trunk?

I got the mini bomber and it’s great, highly recommend it. I still think seasucker is the best option for model 3.
One thing I did not like about Tesla’s own roof rack is that according to what I read it is not easy to install and remove (due to panoramic glass roof design) so you pretty much have to leave it on permanently.
Yes, bike fits easily in the trunk as long as you don’t mind removing the front wheel and folding the back seats down. I have managed to fit it in the trunk without folding seats down by taking both wheels off, just barely.
PS You will LOVE the model 3, it’s an amazing car.
Last edited by: AndyCaleb: Jan 2, 20 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker Bomber experience? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I got one second hand and I routinely have issues with the suction cups sticking, so much so that I am going to be installing a proper rack and ditch my current setup. This may be down to the previous owners mistreatment of the suction cups or an issue with the product itself, I don't have a way to separate that. The pump itself doesn't seem to be the issue, but the cups are finicky for me despite not having any obvious signs of damage.
Sorry to hear. I suspect the previous owners did something wrong, as mine work flawlessly, just like what I read in all the reviews. They may have stored them on top of something that caused their shape to deform. They provide covers so that won’t happen. Really not much else you have to pay attention to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Tesla S and have heard that any such suction cup rack on that glass roof would be a no no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
PS You will LOVE the model 3, it’s an amazing car.

all of your post is good to read, but this was great to read as I pulled the trigger (or clicked the buy button) last night! I bought a Canyon online, that was an interesting experience, but buying a car with a click of a button was surreal! Now just to wait 4-7 weeks.... And for the irony- I bought the Model 3 last night and this morning on the way to the office I had to stop to pour a quart of oil into my 4x4 truck!
Quote Reply