Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ?
Quote | Reply
I have been following her since her first win in Rapperswil 70.3 and somehow I feel she is not as dominant this year as in the past.

Today she won with good margin but some 8 minutes slower than last year and 5 minutes of that on the run. Every race this year she has not been "that" dominant, Oceanside, good margin but only 4th fastest run, Texas IM just barely got the win and now so much slower.

Must be hard to dominate a sport for some 5 years like she has, maybe its starting to take its toll, together with time, extra sponsorship obligations etc. Or is she just happy enough with the wins in the early season and is saving it for the big ones later in the year?

My opinion, she looks beatable this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A win is a win. Whether it's by 1 second or 10 minutes. If she's aiming to win both 70.3 worlds and kona, then there's no reason to drop the hammer this early in the season. Just comfortably win, collect the check, and keep on chugging through your training.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would lean toward wiser, the thought would be to get the best possible result with least amount of effort/toll on the body. Unless of course, she is going for some record, which it seems she usually announces prior to a race and seems to be able to deliver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would postulate it's both. I would guess today she only ran at 90% - she just did not need to go any quicker. At 140.6 she will probably still be as quick and keep dominating for a few years - assuming she plays it sensibly like (I am presuming) she did today. Sutto will be keep to keep her from burning out and I reckon will do that by teaching her not to race at 100% - basically that was the downfall of Wellington. She could have still been dominating now - but just blew herself to bits race after race and could not keep it up.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of Sutton's 'complaints' about Chrissie was that she raced full on all the time, which reduced the length of her career.

My guess is that he has either led Ryf in this direction, or she has decided to go in this direction. Either way, him or her, I think it's a wise idea.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
One of Sutton's 'complaints' about Chrissie was that she raced full on all the time, which reduced the length of her career.

My guess is that he has either led Ryf in this direction, or she has decided to go in this direction. Either way, him or her, I think it's a wise idea.

While I hope this is the case, I think its hard to change the head space of a race horse. Maybe the race horse wants to go as fast, but lacks Kentucky Derby winning legs a few years later. It does add up. I hope its 'just racing smart'. It does not "feel" like this is the case from the outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:

While I hope this is the case, I think its hard to change the head space of a race horse. Maybe the race horse wants to go as fast, but lacks Kentucky Derby winning legs a few years later. It does add up. I hope its 'just racing smart'. It does not "feel" like this is the case from the outside.

In so many ways Chissie was an 'outlier'. Hoe many come to triathlon at 30 or so and win their 1st IM. And win ever race after.
And then get out on her own terms.
Not forgetting that Sutto lost a 'cash cow' when she left his coaching, which may just colour his view.

Back to the OP.
My guess is she's being smart.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Jun 2, 19 15:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to compare the course from year to year, a better judge is how far behind the winning man? It was 20 minutes, so that suggests she went pretty hard. For comparison, her rival Lucy had a very fast race today, but was 22 minutes behind the winning man. Of course there is some +/- using this method, but it is a lot more accurate than trying to compare different courses, and years...

I would say she comfortably won the race, she might have not rested much for it too. I think Sutton like to do that sometimes, racing his best horses through certain races...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t she do this every year tho?
She’s got a full season ahead of her and will prioritize kona. She doesn’t need to smash her opponents early in the season and then get cooked too soon.

Another example is Sarah Piampiano at PurplePatch. Matt Dixon mentioned on his podcast that she was way behind everybody at the winter training camp and then went on to win at IM Brazil a few days ago.

My take on Ryf is that she’s getting wiser and needs to periodize even better her season as she’s getting older.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
A win is a win. Whether it's by 1 second or 10 minutes. If she's aiming to win both 70.3 worlds and kona, then there's no reason to drop the hammer this early in the season. Just comfortably win, collect the check, and keep on chugging through your training.
This. It isn’t about dominating now. Worlds for 70.3 and Kona...that’s her goal. In fact, I’d say it’s even more impressive to watch her win decisively during the build.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most long distance triathletes are still at the top of their game in their late 30's, so she will keep dominating for a while yet if she wants to. As mentioned she isn't normally in top form early in the season.

As for Wellington, I am sure she could have won Kona at least a few more times, but was happy to move on and do something else with her life.

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at Rapperswil 70.3 and saw her both on the run and bike. A friend of mine, who made it to the top ten in the pro men, told me he couldn't keep up with her on the flat section on the bike. I bet she just took it relatively easy on the run yesterday, and that she'll be as dominant as needed when the time comes later this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
I have been following her since her first win in Rapperswil 70.3 and somehow I feel she is not as dominant this year as in the past.

Today she won with good margin but some 8 minutes slower than last year and 5 minutes of that on the run. Every race this year she has not been "that" dominant, Oceanside, good margin but only 4th fastest run, Texas IM just barely got the win and now so much slower.

Must be hard to dominate a sport for some 5 years like she has, maybe its starting to take its toll, together with time, extra sponsorship obligations etc. Or is she just happy enough with the wins in the early season and is saving it for the big ones later in the year?

Seems a rather early presumption for the year considering she has still been winning everything. She has several years of dominance left in her yet IMO. October is when it counts in regards to domination for her and I am sure Sutton has her build well in hand. Please refer to seven months ago...
http://ap.ironman.com/...p;loc=#axzz5pmGqMSPc
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hard to compare the course from year to year, a better judge is how far behind the winning man? It was 20 minutes, so that suggests she went pretty hard. For comparison, her rival Lucy had a very fast race today, but was 22 minutes behind the winning man. Of course there is some +/- using this method, but it is a lot more accurate than trying to compare different courses, and years...

I would say she comfortably won the race, she might have not rested much for it too. I think Sutton like to do that sometimes, racing his best horses through certain races...

I think my comparison is quite fair, I live here and conditions wre (remarkably) similar. Last year she was 11 minutes behind male winner. Last year she had longer time off and Rapperswil was her first race of the season and she absolutely killed it.

The reason I'm wondering is that she always highlights that she does not care about records or even winning, just that she does the best she can. Also, she has taken more pronsors on board, started her own clothing and nutrition line, did the whole fan tour in US etc. And eventually even she must start to decline and it >feels< like she hasnt dominated like she used to.

Anyway, she said she is off to 3 month training camp to prepare for the fall, so she might surprise me come end of the season.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
markko wrote:

Seems a rather early presumption for the year considering she has still been winning everything. She has several years of dominance left in her yet IMO. October is when it counts in regards to domination for her and I am sure Sutton has her build well in hand. Please refer to seven months ago...
http://ap.ironman.com/...p;loc=#axzz5pmGqMSPc

Seems a presumption that she has years left of dominance. True and Haug were both rookies last year and better ITU athletes - not that it always translates, but to assume her dominance is to say nobody else can come along

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd personally be happy to take a wager on this year well in your favour that she will be beaten if your up for it?
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jun 3, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This far into the thread and no one has quoted world-famous triathlete Dominic Toretto from award-winning triathlon documentary "The Fast and the Furious?"

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

-dramatic pose-
Last edited by: BowwwwBallll: Jun 3, 19 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ryf getting slower (or wiser) ? [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib02 wrote:
I was at Rapperswil 70.3 and saw her both on the run and bike. A friend of mine, who made it to the top ten in the pro men, told me he couldn't keep up with her on the flat section on the bike. I bet she just took it relatively easy on the run yesterday, and that she'll be as dominant as needed when the time comes later this year.

According to another pro man, she also seems to have been a little too close to the motorbikes.
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/...8te-450600508398201/
Quote Reply