Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have one, so yes. : )

I'm one of 11 kids in my family; my mom told me once a few years ago that if one of us was sick or hurt or going through a tough time, then that one was her favorite at that moment.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I love them both equally, but am very different with each. (9 year old son, 5.5 year old daughter)

Often I say my son gave me a reason to continue living. It's an absolute reality. He gave me a reason to fight wicked depression and keep going. I trust him like nobody else, find purpose in molding him in life, a sense of duty in protecting his uniqueness. I don't know what I'd do without him.

And I say my daughter gave me a reason to find life. She has me wrapped around her finger. I've never known joy like she brings to me. She makes me want to come more alive and be more of myself. She makes me laugh and appreciate more, gives me a sense of lightness and appreciation for more of the life around me. She tests my patience in ways I never imagined possible, but makes me care about what matters.

For a guy who never thought he wanted to be a dad, I'm so glad I am. None of us are perfect at it, but I'm pretty damn great at the role. As long as they know they're loved unconditionally, it's a win, and mine know they're loved in spades.

That, my friend, is a beautiful testimony!

Yup. What a wonderful post.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The oldest dog is the favorite kid.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite kid... SOMEONE ELSE'S.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I love them both equally, but am very different with each. (9 year old son, 5.5 year old daughter)

Often I say my son gave me a reason to continue living. It's an absolute reality. He gave me a reason to fight wicked depression and keep going. I trust him like nobody else, find purpose in molding him in life, a sense of duty in protecting his uniqueness. I don't know what I'd do without him.

And I say my daughter gave me a reason to find life. She has me wrapped around her finger. I've never known joy like she brings to me. She makes me want to come more alive and be more of myself. She makes me laugh and appreciate more, gives me a sense of lightness and appreciation for more of the life around me. She tests my patience in ways I never imagined possible, but makes me care about what matters.

For a guy who never thought he wanted to be a dad, I'm so glad I am. None of us are perfect at it, but I'm pretty damn great at the role. As long as they know they're loved unconditionally, it's a win, and mine know they're loved in spades.

Wow agree!!
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
The oldest dog is the favorite kid.

Used to be my daughter, but now its alternating between her and the cat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Some coworkers were discussing the fact they love their kids the same, but in fact have a "favorite" kid. I obviously had little to add other than the fact I felt I was my parents' favorite.

Growing up, my kid brother was definitely favored. Still is. As a result I made a point to keep it even Steven between my two kids. My wife's kid sister was definitely the favorite. Spoiled rotten in fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I have three, I tell them I have 33% each for them. The other .9% is for me, which leaves the other .1% for...who am I forgetting?

On a serious note, when I pass, I want to leave each of them a card that says "I loved you the most!"
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Some coworkers were discussing the fact they love their kids the same, but in fact have a "favorite" kid. I obviously had little to add other than the fact I felt I was my parents' favorite.

Growing up, my kid brother was definitely favored. Still is. As a result I made a point to keep it even Steven between my two kids. My wife's kid sister was definitely the favorite. Spoiled rotten in fact.

My step brother has always been my step moms favorite. Yes she gave birth to him but we were family since we were all really young and our parents were our only parents. So there really was no 'step' in the family. This went all the way through college.

Irritated my other brother and I. I know it bothered my father but he made extra sure he treated everyone even. As an adult now I really dont care, but it effected me growing up.

For my kids, I cant say I have a favorite. Both are in different stages in their life (5 and 2)and its fun in their each own way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between the hours of 10pm and 7am, I like my three year old more than my one year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weirdly, between 8 pm and 7 am we like the 3 year old more than the 5 year old. The 3 year old is nappy free, just took them off one night and has a bladder like a cast iron safe. Never ever wets the bed. The 5 year old been out of nappies during the day for 3 years but still can't do a night....... Every night is changing beds
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Growing up, my kid brother was definitely favored. Still is. As a result I made a point to keep it even Steven between my two kids.

As I said I don't get favorite anything as its all situational, but do I favor one kid over another, which to me is VERY different than do I have a favorite.

Yes although we try to keep things even, its impossible. There are no hand me downs for the oldest as they had no sibling to get them from, the younger kids did wear clothes the older one had worn. I make more money as time goes on, and therefore can provide more to the younger kids than the oldest.

Then as they enter college, and pursue different paths, even gets more and more blurry.

I provide the best I can and try to balance things to make sure they all have what they need, and will be ready for life, when they get out of college.

But yeah, the kid who needs the most help, gets it which could be seen as favored.

More importantly than is one favored, are any neglected and no they are all provided for.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wanted to have kids-and don't. Growing up as the middle kid, black sheep of sorts, I believe I was never the favorite. My sister was the most popular, and sweetest child ever. My younger brother was the most favorite-understandably so in a way as his twin died as a baby. I was a rebel and I would assume, hard to love. We all have roles in our families and tend to stick with those roles in adulthood.
Even though some of the favoritism was understandable at the time-it is hard to grow up in that environment knowing you are the "least".
Currently, I am the most well rounded and well adjusted in my family. So, in the end, it was to my benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if my kids feel like I have a favorite. They are complete and total opposites. One day we tried to think of ways they are the same and all they could think of was they both hate Star Wars movies. My daughter (age 11) struggles with ADHD/ODD and consumes a lot more of my time in almost every aspect of home life than my son (age 13) so it's possible that son feels like she is the favorite. But daughter also has a lot less privileges than my son (due to her lack of impulse control) so it's possible that she feels he is the favorite. I don't know. I love them both and try to do my best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents do, it's my wife.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son stayed in his own bed all night last night, so when I woke up he was my favourite. Then he didn't want to eat his breakfast and his sister ate it all without fussing, so she was my favourite. But then she wouldn't put her boots on, and he went and got his own...…
I think I switched favourites 5 times this morning alone....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Do you have a favorite kid?
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Lovely indeed, but can't help noting they're not teenagers yet... Someday you'll look back on sentiments like these and try to remember the good times (honestly, there were days I'd catch my wife pulling out their baby albums to gaze back upon wistfully)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a favorite kid? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Lovely indeed, but can't help noting they're not teenagers yet... Someday you'll look back on sentiments like these and try to remember the good times (honestly, there were days I'd catch my wife pulling out their baby albums to gaze back upon wistfully)

This is very true but wait until they hit their early to mid twenties. I have a great relationship with both kids. Midwest is right, "as long as they know they're loved unconditionally, it's a win, and mine know they're loved in spades." They realize this again in their 20's, at least mine did.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to School (1986)

"I got 2 boys. One, I put tru college... The other, I put truda wall."
-- Lou
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

... didn't see this mentioned, but of my two kids, each has sometimes seen the other as the favored kid

Most apparent when one feels something isn't fair (to them) :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother was the favourite by far. Anything I wanted I had to go out and earn, he got what ever he wanted handed to him on a plate.

I worked my butt off and moved out when I was 17, did 10 years in the military and got my university education paid for.

He went to prison and is a wife beater . He is still the favourite. I rarely see my parents because they started to repeat the cycle with my two kids.
Quote Reply

Prev Next