Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I grabbed a WC slot yesterday. Is there a thread on here about planning for the trip? Most cost effective way of travel etc?

I took one yesterday as well! I am currently just looking at what Expedia has to offer. I was in Nice long ago when I was a kid - my parents took me on vacation there. I am really looking forward to seeing this city again.

Congrats on the WC slot!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

In general, how much roll down was there?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Congrats!

In general, how much roll down was there?

It rolled quite a bit. This being such a late race it was not at all surprising. There were three slots in M35-39. I took the second slot and I was 11th. I don't know who took the third as I stopped listening.

Most of the slots rolled into the teens for age groups that had more than one slot.

This is in sharp contrast to my last two attempts to get a Nice slot. At Maine last year, it came in 7th in AG, but was 20 minutes behind the AG winner. 2 slots there that did not roll. Then at AC 70.3 I was 6th. Again two slots, and it rolled to 4th. I was only out of that place by less than two minutes.

This time? 11th was good enough for me to get one. Not many people walked out of rolldown disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
xeon wrote:
I'm always bummed if/when the swim gets cancelled but it was the right call. I know personally how dicey it can get there working water safety. If your water safety crew (kayaks/paddelboards) can barely stay in place, how can they effectively monitor 2K people?

Awesome race btw!

Yep, great race.

Whenever a swim is cancelled, I always remind myself the path of least complaint is to go forward. It's not like RD's are sitting around wanting to cancel swims. Buoys are set. Water safety is there. Making that cancellation announcement has to suck.

The RD at Maryland yesterday was funny. He stopped the music at about 6:30AM and said, "OK, listen up..."

After giving out the information the swim portion was cancelled, he paused and then said, "Now play some music!"

It was almost like he gave people 10 seconds to grieve and then said here's some music, get over yourself!

I said to the people I was with, I bet about 20% of the racers were wearing a disappointed face while simultaneously doing the happy dance inside.

I'd like to reiterate that the announcer was especially awesome yesterday at Eagleman. And what was very touching and awesomely different was the race announcer had a moment of happy applause and cheering for a minute straight; instead of a moment of silence for the late race director, Jerry Boyle. It was very cool.

It was typical wind for the EMAN Bike course (40k tailwind, 10k crosswinds, 40k headwind), with the addition of rain. I had my first sub 2:30 (2:27) Bike split, but it's bittersweet cause of the cancelled swim. I ran a disc (as I always do) and had zero issues with the disc. My front HED Jet 6 did get blown crooked twice though from a couple of strong gusts. I thought the headwinds on the back end of the Run felt good and refreshing. But then again, I train on Easter Long Island and I'm used to windy conditions.

Despite the small craft advisory, the current was noticeably strong and the race directors even changed the placement of the swim course, swapping it over to the opposite side of the park the night before to try and salvage the swim portion. There's no way the kayakers would have been able to maintain a stationary positioning in the water.

I guess we'll all just have to buy an EMAN 69.1 sticker and sign up/ try again next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25-29 went to 7th(me) and 8th. Either everyone in front already had their slot or didn't show up to awards

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
25-29 went to 7th(me) and 8th. Either everyone in front already had their slot or didn't show up to awards

It's late in the qualifying season, it's late to be changing season plans, and it's late to be making international travel arrangements. Basically the combination of people already having slots, and others not wanting to figure out an international trip on relatively short notice, is what leads to deeper rolldowns at races this time of year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

It's late in the qualifying season, it's late to be changing season plans, and it's late to be making international travel arrangements. Basically the combination of people already having slots, and others not wanting to figure out an international trip on relatively short notice, is what leads to deeper rolldowns at races this time of year.

Any idea on F45-49 and M40-44?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

F45-49 rolled waaaaay down. I think I was the first person in attendance to pass, as #22 in AG. I swear he read as many more names before landing on someone who was eagerly awaiting the chance to go. I apologize, I was a bit too busy musing over how *I* actually had the opportunity to turn down a slot to listen to who did take it. (SoS is the same day, so no trip to Nice for me.)

I rode a bike PR yesterday on honestly sub-stellar training. I credit my shiny new TriRig handlebars, enough moxy to roll my disc cover, and the ability to get small on the bike. But da'amn, did I get blown to hell. I only ride a 404 front but came away from that ride thinking I clearly need to spend more time doing planks on a stability ball. (I weigh ~125 lbs, if it helps paint a picture).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I guess we'll all just have to get an M-Dot 69.1 tattoo and never do a multisport event again.

FIFY

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

I guess we'll all just have to get an M-Dot 69.1 tattoo and never do a multisport event again.

FIFY

BLASPHEMY!!

;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
DJRed wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

F45-49 rolled waaaaay down. I think I was the first person in attendance to pass, as #22 in AG. I swear he read as many more names before landing on someone who was eagerly awaiting the chance to go. I apologize, I was a bit too busy musing over how *I* actually had the opportunity to turn down a slot to listen to who did take it. (SoS is the same day, so no trip to Nice for me.)

I rode a bike PR yesterday on honestly sub-stellar training. I credit my shiny new TriRig handlebars, enough moxy to roll my disc cover, and the ability to get small on the bike. But da'amn, did I get blown to hell. I only ride a 404 front but came away from that ride thinking I clearly need to spend more time doing planks on a stability ball. (I weigh ~125 lbs, if it helps paint a picture).

M40-44 rolled deep for sure, but I don't recall just how far. And after Tsunami here passed on her slot in F45-49 I kinda tuned out where it did end up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next