Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cannondale Crank Modification
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who recently bought a cannondale frame that takes a larger sized bottom bracket (not shimano or campy). It is made by Cdale and apparently is too big for shimano. He loves the frame and wants to build it up. However, he needs a triple crank on his bike. We live in Colorado and he is not a super-serious cyclist.

I have told him he has several options.

1. Sell the frame on ebay and buy a new bike

2. Somehow get a machine shop to make a shimano/campy crank work for him. He apparenltly has contacted a machine shop and they say they may be able to work it out. My question is: Is this a good idea? With the kind of stress he will put on the crank (6 feet 4, 240lbs) will this adaptor snap?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Crank Modification [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a price on any machine shop work,it will get expense quick,as a machinist i know,not sure how the CDale bottom bracket looks but it must be large enough for standard cups to thread into with a adapter,i would think that strenght would not be a issue,if he is unwilling to sell the frame it might be easier to adapt a a small ring attaching to the middle ring some how.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Crank Modification [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I would do is leave the BB alone! Buy a Shimano XT (MTN Bike) rear derailleur (short cage) and a Shimano XT rear cassette (either 11X32 or 11X34). Totally compatible. Slap the new cassette on a $100 dollar rear wheel and your good to go up any mountain in Colorado. Total cost: $45 for the derailleur, $40 for the cassette, and $100 for the rear wheel. You may also need a longer chain ($30)?? This gives you lots for versatility, you can ride your 12-23 on flat roads and the 11-34 up just about any mountain.

Cannondale’s crank is very, very stiff and super light. C'dale only puts it on their top bikes.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply